Alt Account Benefits Galore!

Snarky

Just now, InvaderStych said:

Would it help if I told you I am one of the folks running HC on a laptop not designed for gaming, and that based on the heat generated from a single instance I'd probably want to have a mineral oil quench on hand because I am pretty sure that the alloy this thing is made of doesn't qualify as a slow enough material for air tempering .....

..... and that I felt in no way mocked or attacked by this thread?

🍻

I felt mocked by him directly mocking me ffs, not because of the OP. Jesus Christ misrepresent much.

• Thumbs Down 1

13 minutes ago, arcane said:

Considering he mocked me for suggesting that not everyone can do it, it seemed obvious in his future posts that he was taking the stance that everyone can do it. Otherwise why would you mock a fact.....

I admit to overlooking his "almost". Easy to do when he's mocking that notion himself.

Me?  Mock someone?  Perish the thought.

But I understand how you missed the words in the original post.

Reading is hard.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Lead Game Master

Okay folks, time to simmer down a little! Some things were misinterpreted, no need to get nasty.

On-topic, I feel compelled to share a little "hack" with you all, if you're interested in making alt accounts: If your primary log-in is linked to a gmail address, such as [email protected]. then you should be able to set up alt accounts by placing periods in "myname" (such as my.name or myna.me). Gmail should treat them all as the same e-mail address, as it actually ignores periods in in-coming mail! But our account handling system DOESN'T, so you could make three account all with one e-mail! Give it a try!

@Ironblade already covered the multi boxing rules, so I see little need to repeat them here 😃

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

Depending on server load there are some self imposed rules on how many CoH a single player should be running.  I just run the one farmer a few times a month depending on my alt itis.   Never really delved into the exact rules.

2 hours ago, Ironblade said:

That's an understatement.  The computer I was using to play CoH FIFTEEN YEARS AGO could run three accounts.

The key sections are as follows:

- If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.

- If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.

Also, the Hamidon raid zones (The Hive and The Abyss) NEVER allow multi-boxing.

I have yet to see a server even remotely close to those numbers.  My 3 accounts only run for farming anyways and in different zones/sides.

So no worries!

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

And I do it the Hard way.. Pc and a laptop... I am really starting to get the hang of dual boxing too but i prefer to run normal missions over farming (only do it to PL a toon to 50).

Main toons: Mistress-Six (Blaster), Cyber Bishop (Tank), D-Six (Blaster), Bowmistress (Blaster), Rina-Twelve (Blaster), Blazin' Bow (Blaster), 20 Fathoms (Blaster), Icee Qube (Blaster), Minaton (Tank), Princess Ariel Gabrielle (Tank), Lady Lilia M (Blaster)

I do think the beggars have no real place to stand on as most computers can typically handle at least two instances (maybe not at max graphics), and accounts are free.

I have farmers and other toons on all three of my accounts, so I'll often have two of them afk farming a meteor map while I play the third running various content. All I do for farming is occasionally alt tab and make a couple clicks every 10 minutes or so while I run task forces or story arcs etc on the third account. That way if I'm running a positron tf there's been times I'll have a couple new purple IOs waiting for me on the other accounts.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I do think the beggars have no real place to stand on as most computers can typically handle at least two instances (maybe not at max graphics), and accounts are free.

I have farmers and other toons on all three of my accounts, so I'll often have two of them afk farming a meteor map while I play the third running various content. All I do for farming is occasionally alt tab and make a couple clicks every 10 minutes or so while I run task forces or story arcs etc on the third account. That way if I'm running a positron tf there's been times I'll have a couple new purple IOs waiting for me on the other accounts.

Now here is the fine line.  Beggars?  Technically correct.  But I prefer to think of them as ill informed and needing info more than a handout.  There is literally a RIVER of what they are "begging" for a cup of.....right beside them.  

I know I can be Snarky (Reg. TM, pat. pend.) and if anyone is unsure of this fact look up thread just a wee bit.  Still, I do want my fellow gamers to succeed and have fun.  I did not realize how powerful this procedure was until I did it myself.  Powerful and easy.  

People do what they think is easiest to achieve their goals.  "Begging?"  Okay, sure, it hurts but they beg and hope for an easy win.  But once they see how much Exp/Inf/Emp Merits/etc they can get in this manner?  I believe most will come around.  Spread the word.

The -usetexenvcombine switch drastically lowers the resources needed to run the game.  If you're just going to have a character sit at a door or follow your main character, (perhaps with a power on autofire), then that's all you need...

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Tattooine is always welcoming new folks as well.

Have to watch the jawas though... Disgusting creatures

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Main toons: Mistress-Six (Blaster), Cyber Bishop (Tank), D-Six (Blaster), Bowmistress (Blaster), Rina-Twelve (Blaster), Blazin' Bow (Blaster), 20 Fathoms (Blaster), Icee Qube (Blaster), Minaton (Tank), Princess Ariel Gabrielle (Tank), Lady Lilia M (Blaster)

With the player base being what it is, I don't even look at the player count when dual boxing. If a server is red, I know enough to not dual box since, you know, there's obviously enough teams running to simply join one.

As someone who is open about using a laptop with an integrated card and Intel on top of that, I can have slight issues in game even running a single instance on my laptop.

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Another true story.

I went on a ‘binge’ powerfarming once I discovered AFK farming.  So day after day I was making alts.  I see a build that looks interesting, I make an alt out of it.  So many that I start to lose track of them because I’m parking them on different servers so as to not mess up the order of my ‘actives’ list of 40-50 alts.  Most are unleveled/unslotted and it’s an effort to level up, slot and IO out a toon all at once.  Easily an hour or so depending on market availability, how many converters I have to burn, etc.  I also prefer to have a bio and a name that matches.  Anyhoo, maybe 200-250 alts all-in parked in the ‘library’ waiting to be rolled out and played.  Across three accounts.  I seldom powerfarm to 50, typically in the 36-38 range instead because I actually like to play the later levels, TF’s and such.  Having both T9’s active makes for well rounded character.  So for me it’s about an hour per alt, or sometimes as many as 3-4 alts in an evening/morning of playing actively on my main account while afk farmer on account 2 builds me a new alt on account 3, etc.

I think it’s because I spent a lot of time between Live and Homecoming continuing to “theorycraft” new builds in Mids.  I really didn’t like the IO system at first, felt as if it was an absolute money grab and I felt it ‘cheapened’ the superhero feeling.  I actually liked doing my SO missions once upon a time to get a seller to sell me what I needed to feel stronger/faster/better.  Maybe they just didn’t click for me for whatever reason but once they did it became a bit of an obsession to min/max what is really a fairly easy game.  It became the game within the game.

Thus…..having freedom to have as many alts as I can, and outfit them so relatively easily/cheaply this time around….I’ve gone a bit overboard. 

I do like Snarky’s original comment.  My first farmer on Homecoming was a Fire/Kin controller as I knew it could farm easily on just SO’s, and at the time of launch, I didn’t know what the economic climate would look like for IO’s etc.  That farmer created my first Spines/Fire brute on my second account.  Then I created a Rad/Fire by self-PL back on my first account.  Honestly, it’s so easy to do I just keep that thread bookmarked and copy/paste it into Local chat anytime I’m in AE powerfarming an alt and someone asks me to be a sitter.  Teach them how to light themselves on fires.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, biostem said:

The -usetexenvcombine switch drastically lowers the resources needed to run the game.  If you're just going to have a character sit at a door or follow your main character, (perhaps with a power on autofire), then that's all you need...

And if you forget to use the switch, you can  use /maxinactivefps 1 on the sitter; doesn't reduce resource load to 0 but it drastically reduces the GPU load.

• Thumbs Up 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

18 hours ago, arcane said:

Anecdotal completely debatable point, and especially dependent on your definition of “no problems”. Maybe true, but telling people to create alt accounts and simply assuming it is true is ignorant and unhelpful.

Disagree strongly.  Not sure why you're making an issue of this but most computers can absolutely run multiple accounts "with no problems".

As I pointed out, the computer I used to play CoH fifteen years ago could run THREE accounts with *NO* problems.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

11 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Disagree strongly.  Not sure why you're making an issue of this but most computers can absolutely run multiple accounts "with no problems".

As I pointed out, the computer I used to play CoH fifteen years ago could run THREE accounts with *NO* problems.

Point is even if it’s most (zero evidence provided for that statement but let’s assume it’s true), it’s clearly not all, and your old computer is an anecdote - clearly a pretty great computer in that time. So maybe don’t assume people aren’t trying to help themselves since that’s a dickhead thing to get wrong.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Down 2

Please keep in mind the point of this thread is to provide information to people who are trying to go fast.  (at leveling, alting, making inf, etc.)  Not every computer can do this.  Most can.  (for the love of the negative material plane....or lack thereof...PLEASE MOVE ON from that small part of this thread!)

I believe (and here I may be woefully wrong) that most people asking for farms do not realize how much easier, faster, and more relaxed it is to farm oneself with an alt acct.  Not to mention those that AFK farm on their alt acct constantly and make billions and billions.... all while gaming normally on their main acct.  Wait for a task force...tab....reset farmer....tab back.  

Please get the word out in game when people ask for a farm.  Once people know there is a mountain of wealth right beneath the topsoil they are standing on asking for pennies....they tend to start digging.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Crysis said:

Thus…..having freedom to have as many alts as I can, and outfit them so relatively easily/cheaply this time around….I’ve gone a bit overboard. 

I ended up going the other way. Being able to fully trick out a new 50 with purps/pvps/other sets and then T3 all in less than 8 hours of gameplay ended up causing me to go back to slow leveling and, lately, just playing Cyberpunk instead. Hell, actually buying IOs and slotting them was more time consuming than leveling and unlocking incarnate powers.

But for two years, I was absolutely on that alt-account-farmer ride and it was good.

Side thought: I really don't get the folks asking for more door sitters. More than two on the team drastically kills leveling speed of the alt you're getting to 50.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Thumbs Up 3