Current PVP 'splaining

The_Warpact

9 hours ago, macskull said:

The -maxrunspeed was removed from the PvP version of the power in I13

I remember specifically one week where my Ice Controller dominated for about a week.

I saw the post about the changes to control so I headed in and slowed opponents so they couldn't reach me and slowly ... slowly ... slowly ... ate them down to zero XP.

The DEVs removed the change at the end of the week.

I don't have documentation, but I know it happened.

It must have taken 10 minutes for me to whittle down this one tank. and they was livid that I had defeated them. My character's health was full. The tank didn't land a blow my character.

Wasn't the same after the DEVs reverted it back.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

12 hours ago, M3z said:

It's crazy that people probably have no idea there used to be like 15-20 different test pvp teams on live all with rosters ranging from 8-30 people before i13 killed all that. The community was really big. But yeah there's a legacy of pvpers including myself who've continued pvping since then.

PvP was incredibly popular after CoV launched, from casual to organized.  The whole expansion heavily emphasized PvP and it was a major selling point.  It's too bad it was neglected after.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Pzn said:

PvP was incredibly popular after CoV launched, from casual to organized.  The whole expansion heavily emphasized PvP and it was a major selling point.  It's too bad it was neglected after.

It wasn't just CoV, as I am sure you remember. NCSoft actually dedicated an entire issue to PvP - Issue 4 - Colosseum. That was a golden age, so to speak, when other players had no idea what was the best or worst build.... when the Arena actually had players in it waiting in lobbies to join up to the (still broken) Arena UI. What a time! 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 1 month later
On 4/18/2022 at 9:26 PM, M3z said:

It's crazy that people probably have no idea there used to be like 15-20 different test pvp teams on live all with rosters ranging from 8-30 people before i13 killed all that. The community was really big. But yeah there's a legacy of pvpers including myself who've continued pvping since then.

That was such a fun time.
You had a ladder where you had the obviously elite teams then below them like a bunch of teams  just crushing and leapfrogging each other weekly, often with nutso lineups.
PvP now is still cool, and graciously held together by the will of its diehards.

The people who like post-I13 pvp (and have bad taste) could be pacified and the old-school pvpers could be appeased by just by adding a setting on the arena tab and/or supplying a 'different' zone to those who want it. I see the arena already has settings that disable DR's and whatnot, I don't see why they couldn't just hole it all up into one tab that says "Pre-13 settings" or something. Far as I remember, the things that are different are a lot less convoluted than assumed.

Hidden buffs/nerfs/DR's didn't happen pre-i13, your character functioned, in essence, the same as they did in a PvE setting. The only thing that I remember differently was that "players were harder to hit", so base accuracy was a  .5 multiplier as opposed to a normal .75, so  what's to stop them from just adding a 'new zone' (Siren's Call I-12 or something) where it functions similarly to any other zone, you can just target people on the opposing alignments? I mean, confusion debuffs are already a pseudo-predecessor for this concept; we've all done our fair share of BAF's and (probably) slugged each other (totally) on accident. What's to stop the 'new pvp zone' or 'arena setting' from functioning similarly in that you're in a perma pseudo-confused 'state' where you can just so happen to hit players on the opposing faction and vise versa while simultaneously treating it as a 'PvE' zone so that we don't get all the I-13 hidden stats/drs/strange damage calculation formulas muddled in?

As for the perma-slow arguments, we have IO's now that reduce those effects substantially. As far as the CC-spamming goes, let it ride, see how it pans out. PvP nowa days is already boring, it can't get worse. You could also always make better PvP enhancements down the road to stifle this too, perhaps resistance/defense slot enhancements that either reduce the magnitude of CC effects put on you in a PvP zone or giving you more magnitude resistance in a PvP zone. You could even go so far as to make Magnitude Resistance enhancements that specifically increase the magnitude resistance, nothing else. It would give an actual dynamic to slotting defensive powers so that it wouldn't just be 1+1=resistance enhancement. 

Edited by Killawar
  • Thumbs Up 1

PvP zones being closer to pve zones makes sense as does arena being where special settings can be used.
Give arena a lot more settings.

PvP is pretty awful, you’re possibly right regarding “it can’t get worse”

• Thumbs Up 1