Shield vs Energy Aura (aka Damage vs Utility)

urukai

For Warmace

Which one is better, the Damage boost and additional AOE of Shield, or the Global recharge and extra regeneration/endurence of Energy aura ?

Edit:

Also which one is easier/faster to level with ?

Which one is cheaper to equip during leveling and at high level ?

Edited by urukai

Shield defense is the better armor in my opinion, but energy aura is still amazing.  Though keep in mind that my opinions are usually focused on level 50s with incarnates, and a large budget.

Filling out an attack chain and managing endurance are my personal main goals while leveling. In my opinion both sets aren’t super leveling friendly because both suck down endurance until they get something to manage it. Energy aura’s endurance woes go away with energize. Shield relies in proc IOs and I take ageless destiny.  Overall I think energy aura is easier while leveling. 

Shield has better mitigation, but not by much. Shield has better DDR. It doesn’t have the psi hole that energy aura does, but it doesn’t have a heal like energy aura does either. Both can get good resist values s/l resist (60%+), and in the 40s-50s on secondary resist types depending on preference. 

Energy aura is easier to build for recharge. But at max level I have all the recharge I need on shield. AAO is very nice when surrounded, but not as noticeable against single hard targets. Then again energy auras recharge buff is also really nice when surrounded, but not as noticeable against single hard targets. 

Overall you can’t go wrong with either. I think EA is more well rounded, but I believe shield has a higher potential.  I have a lot of shield and a lot of EA characters. I like both sets enough to fully recommend both. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 1

Lots to love about NrgAura but every time I've played it, I've found myself having to click Energize and Nrg Drain often enough that I know they're offsetting any gains I'm getting from the +recharge. So, once again, shield wins.

Also wins against SR if you're wondering about that.

• Like 1

Of the two, I much prefer shield. Gotta fit the shield in with the theme of toon or outfit if that matters though. Think you can minimize energy down a lot graphically if you want. I don’t remember though I deleted my energy aura toon. 

Yes

Not sure about it but my guess is that Shield adds damage but lacks heals/endu which can be balanced using IOs and powers.

While Energy can add even more life/endurance, but will never be able to add damage.

So I guess EA is more for tanks and Shield more for DPS ?

59 minutes ago, urukai said:

Yes

Not sure about it but my guess is that Shield adds damage but lacks heals/endu which can be balanced using IOs and powers.

While Energy can add even more life/endurance, but will never be able to add damage.

Unfortunately tankers don’t get EA. The offensive bonuses that EA gets is it’s scaling recharge. This allows you to forgo some recharge set bonus and chase other goals and allow EAs recharge bonus to tighten up your attack chain. 

Honestly both sets are really awesome.  And for what it’s worth if you team then their differences don’t really matter as much. For example if you team with a kinetics then you’ll probably be damage capped and have insane recharge no matter what armor set you use. 

I suggest you make one of both to try them for yourself. War mace will pair nicely with either, but I think fits better thematically with shield.  That or make a dark melee/shield defense scrapper because dark melee synergizes amazingly with shield. And then do war mace/energy aura because it’s strong and pretty. 

15 hours ago, Thrax said:

Of the two, I much prefer shield. Gotta fit the shield in with the theme of toon or outfit if that matters though. Think you can minimize energy down a lot graphically if you want. I don’t remember though I deleted my energy aura toon. 

This is exactly why I've never played Shield.  Though if the OP is looking at War Mace as a primary, fitting the shield in shouldn't be that difficult.

I just have a hard time fitting a shield into a "superhero" concept.  Now, if there was a Shield Offense set, well, I'm sure we can think of at least one superheroic scrapper who uses it.  (Let's be honest.  I'm convinced the reason they started having Cap throw his shield is that he looked silly carrying a shield and punching people)

6 hours ago, urukai said:

Yes

You've just solidly defeated your previous opponent in the death match held at Golden Giza and because you won you are given the option of who you face next,  Hammerhands, who hits 33% harder than the guy you just fought, or Flashfists, who strikes 33% more often. Which do you choose?

Attacking faster is adding more damage over time just like hitting harder does.

• 4 weeks later
14 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

Just don't do regen.

I mained a Kat/Regen on Legacy.

I've yet to touch */Regen Scrappers on HC. Have an Ice/Regen Stalker at 47 that works well, plans for a Psi/Regen Brute... But fail to see the point of it on a Scrapper. This makes me sad.

Death is the best debuff.