Newish player looking for suggestions for first dominator

KnaveOfSwords

So, as the title says, I'm relatively new to the game, having previously played a bit of melee and ranged damage, mostly doing solo missions.  Dominators look interesting (some kind of crowd-control/damage hybrid?), but are well outside of my experience.  I'm looking for something that will have a decently gentle learning curve as I figure out how to dominator, and be fun to play 1-50 (likely still mostly doing missions solo).

Do folks here have any suggestions on primaries and/or secondaries that are a good fit for this?  Not too concerned if it's not the most powerful level 50+ toon.

Plant/ By level 8 you've got the signature power, seeds of confusion, which is up every mob out of the box. Adding carrion creepers at 26 with permadom levels of recharge just makes it silly. The secondary is up to you, basically just flavor. Mine's plant/savage which is a blast, if a bit complicated. 

51 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

Plant/ By level 8 you've got the signature power, seeds of confusion, which is up every mob out of the box. Adding carrion creepers at 26 with permadom levels of recharge just makes it silly. The secondary is up to you, basically just flavor. Mine's plant/savage which is a blast, if a bit complicated. 

Thanks.  Re: /savage, complicated how?  As in I should probably avoid savage for my first attempt?

10 hours ago, KnaveOfSwords said:

Thanks.  Re: /savage, complicated how?  As in I should probably avoid savage for my first attempt?

I just meant complicated in that you're popping from range to melee a lot. Feral charge is one of the better powers in the game but you'll also have to pop back out from melee to use cones (and so you can feral charge back in).

Because some Control sets do more damage than others, and Dominators' Secondary Set deals damage, as opposed to the Controllers, some sets are better off on Dominators and some on Controllers.

To quote @Coyote (and the numbers/details may or may not have changed since then) but "Gravity, Plant, Fire, and probably Electric go Controller.

Earth, Dark, and Mind go Dominator.

Ice wants to go with Dominator to help its low damage but with Controller to help stack debuffs onto its knockdowns, -Recharge, and intermittent Confuse."

And some say, "play whatever you want to play."

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

On 7/3/2022 at 7:56 AM, KnaveOfSwords said:

So, as the title says, I'm relatively new to the game, having previously played a bit of melee and ranged damage, mostly doing solo missions.  Dominators look interesting (some kind of crowd-control/damage hybrid?), but are well outside of my experience.  I'm looking for something that will have a decently gentle learning curve as I figure out how to dominator, and be fun to play 1-50 (likely still mostly doing missions solo).

Do folks here have any suggestions on primaries and/or secondaries that are a good fit for this?  Not too concerned if it's not the most powerful level 50+ toon.

I'm currently leveling and really having fun with an elec/dark dominator.  The biggest selling points for this combination is that you get a self heal in life drain, a quick-recharging form of "soft control" via jolting chain, a location based AoE sleep to allow you to pick off the enemies at your leisure, a chain confuse later, and I rather like how the gremlin pets also use jolting chain.  The -tohit from the dark powers also offers a bit of extra survivability.  I also just like how many of the darkness powers look with the "soul noir" FX options...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, biostem said:

I'm currently leveling and really having fun with an elec/dark dominator.  The biggest selling points for this combination is that you get a self heal in life drain, a quick-recharging form of "soft control" via jolting chain, a location based AoE sleep to allow you to pick off the enemies at your leisure, a chain confuse later, and I rather like how the gremlin pets also use jolting chain.  The -tohit from the dark powers also offers a bit of extra survivability.  I also just like how many of the darkness powers look with the "soul noir" FX options...

I keep trying to replicate, as closely as possible, the soul noir look on my Em toons.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Of the doms I have, I still love my earth/earth the most. Crunchy goodness. That I chose to make her a grown up version of:

image.thumb.png.5585bfead3d195044dadc6098a24ff4d.png

doesn't hurt.

Dunno who she is, but that is a BRICK HOUSE. Well done.

• Thanks 1

Death is the best debuff.

a few of my favourite doms are mind/savage, elec/elec and dark/martial. each one has a slightly different play style, but I don't know if that's due to the powers or my utter noobness. all are fun in their own way. I tried Ice/Ice, but it doesn't really do it for me. haven't tried plant or thorns yet.

17 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Of the doms I have, I still love my earth/earth the most. Crunchy goodness. That I chose to make her a grown up version of:

Terra (character) - Wikipedia

image.thumb.png.5585bfead3d195044dadc6098a24ff4d.png

doesn't hurt.

One notes you used the corrected TPB version of that Terra pic, but far be it from me to miss a chance to post some cringe.

261162834_TaraTriangle.thumb.png.0253a8f4f4edbea507bbdbbf03af45de.png

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1