Adventures in Marketing

Shinobu

I've always netted profit with hero packs, but I also only buy bulk, usually 50 at a time. My best all time was getting 64 ATOs & 750 merits in a 50 pack purchase. That's super good usually I get like 57 ATOs and 400 merits, but either way I love them other than having to convert cheap ATOs into expensive ones in bulk and the time it takes. Also my email gets full for inspirations I just pop instantly and waste.

Since you can slot 5 per build, it makes sense that LotG +7.5% recharge would maintain a relatively high price when other IOs have dropped in price.  It makes it a lot more difficult for demand to outstrip supply.  Right now the only other thing that keeps prices high is scarcity (pvp IOs, purples, ATOs, or sub-50 IOs sets like the Miracle unique).

What I find weird is how the crafted Miracle unique sells for half what the recipe sells for.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Since you can slot 5 per build, it makes sense that LotG +7.5% recharge would maintain a relatively high price when other IOs have dropped in price.  It makes it a lot more difficult for demand to outstrip supply.  Right now the only other thing that keeps prices high is scarcity (pvp IOs, purples, ATOs, or sub-50 IOs sets like the Miracle unique).

What I find weird is how the crafted Miracle unique sells for half what the recipe sells for.

It's not particularly surprising. It's level 40 so there aren't that many recipes being dropped while the enhancement itself is being regularly converted from de-leveled doctored wounds enhancements. So the only people buying the recipe are those who haven't heard about the bucketing systema nd just assume that the recipe will be cheaper.

Defender Smash!

I've always netted profit with hero packs, but I also only buy bulk, usually 50 at a time. My best all time was getting 64 ATOs & 750 merits in a 50 pack purchase. That's super good usually I get like 57 ATOs and 400 merits, but either way I love them other than having to convert cheap ATOs into expensive ones in bulk and the time it takes. Also my email gets full for inspirations I just pop instantly and waste.

Same here, I usually bought 30 at a time and typically got around 35 ATOs and 300 merits and a random assortment of boosters and converters. Selling all the ATOs at 9mil+ a piece and then getting converters out of the merits usually netted me around 50-100mil in profit. I stopped doing this though because constantly having to clean up my inventory was pretty irritating to do in addition to all the converting. Then again, I might go back into this for a while to get my two ATO sets once I settle on what my next character is going to be.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Same here, I usually bought 30 at a time and typically got around 35 ATOs and 300 merits and a random assortment of boosters and converters. Selling all the ATOs at 9mil+ a piece and then getting converters out of the merits usually netted me around 50-100mil in profit. I stopped doing this though because constantly having to clean up my inventory was pretty irritating to do in addition to all the converting. Then again, I might go back into this for a while to get my two ATO sets once I settle on what my next character is going to be.

Yeah I feel you, I've slowed down on it too because the of inventory and converting. I used to do it everyday on my lunch break while I ate but the mass converting really is boring. The best thing though is getting all those merits. I've never had to buy a single converter of the AH once, those merits keep me flowing with converters.

Miracle was also super weird.  I have to imagine there's a good chance it has settled down now, but when I went to buy one for a character, I found a bunch of 10 and 15 million inf bids in the recent history.  The buy-it-now price on the other crafted IOs in the set was around 2.5 million, so I bought one and converted it for personal use.  Then I did a few buy at 2.5 million, convert to Rec and put up for 5 million, and a few did sell for 15 million before the price was brought down.

The other day I heard someone complaining in chat about how someone had manipulated the market to drive prices up, and the whole market was messed up because of it.

Market conspiracies aside, I have noticed a general trend over the last week or two towards less supply and higher prices.  At one point about two weeks ago we'd reached a point where some rare IOs were selling for so low (1 million or less, even 500 million) that you could barely turn a profit.  The market was glutted from all the people trying to earn a quick buck.

Now I think it's swung the other way -- at least for general IOs.  The supply of the specialty IOs has remained fairly constant, with several hundred Luck of the Gambler +7.5% recharge IOs or Miracle +recovery IOs for sale at any given time.  Sometimes the price for those dips a bit as supply increases, but then it seems to bounce back.

What I've noticed however is that, if you want to buy a rather ordinairy damage IO such as Obliteration, Positron's Blast, etc., those supplies have, at least in some cases, dwindled quite a bit while prices have increased in response.

This is just my impression, I'm not doing market surveys to verify anything so take that with a grain of salt.  However, here's a more concrete example of what I mean:  For a long time I've tried to market any and all rare IOs for at least somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million.  However, at one point there were so many Mako's Bite IOs on the market that the price dropped to somewhere between 800 and 1.2 million, and my IOs priced higher would never sell.  I stopped selling them because they weren't worth the effort, and I was left with a bunch of them listed for slightly over 1.5 million that were apparently never going to sell.

In the last week, a bunch of those sold.  This tells me that the supply dwindled enough for someone to buy my stock at the price I'd listed.  They weren't finding those IOs for only a million a piece anymore.

Just my observation.  I would guess we've reached a kind of equilibrium, where if prices dip too much lower then supply will drop off, and when prices inevitably rise in response, it becomes worthwhile to sell again, supply will increase.

Naturally, I was desperately trying to make money two weeks ago when prices were lower, and now that they've come up a bit, I'm trying to buy IOs cheaply to outfit several characters that I PL'd over the last week.  :P

I noticed yesterday that people seem to be crafting and selling thunderstrike pieces at a loss - going rate was less than the cost to craft not even counting the salvage. Plus just the recipes keep selling for a decent amount.

I noticed yesterday that people seem to be crafting and selling thunderstrike pieces at a loss - going rate was less than the cost to craft not even counting the salvage. Plus just the recipes keep selling for a decent amount.

Keep in mind people are probably buying the recipes at level 30 and crafting them there. That saves you 450K on crafting costs and the market will just convert it back to level 50 (or more likely attuned).

Defender Smash!

Trudat. But the 50 recipes just keep selling too. Idk.

Lots of volatility in the convert for profit game these days in general. Things dry up, people quit selling them, they get gud again. I'm making decent money but I don't have the attention span to really work it optimally.

Trudat. But the 50 recipes just keep selling too. Idk.

Right because IOs are bucketed. So I can enter a buy order for level 30 recipes and the game will convert someone else's level 50 sell offer into level 30s for me.

Ah right, forgot recipes were bucketed too, prolly a side effect of not buying one since the first week :D