Focused Feedback: Name Release Policy - Phase 1: Warning Mode

On 8/16/2022 at 11:43 AM, Doc_Scorpion said:

Seeing them side-by-side, it's kinda hard to distinguish one color from another.  The yellow needs to be more clearly yellow/brighter, and the orange more orange to make it easier to distinguish between them.

How about this :

When the symbol is a warning that the name release is implending, make it the upside down triangle like a yield sign and keep it yellow.

When the symbol indicates that the name is released, make it a standard stop sign with a black border.

The shape of the symbol should be a work around for color blindness with symbols that should already be recognizable.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

14 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

How about this :

When the symbol is a warning that the name release is implending, make it the upside down triangle like a yield sign and keep it yellow.

When the symbol indicates that the name is released, make it a standard stop sign with a black border.

The shape of the symbol should be a work around for color blindness with symbols that should already be recognizable.

Good idea.  There's a chunk of us who don't recognize those signs though, but still a good idea all the same.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

56 minutes ago, Darmian said:

Good idea.  There's a chunk of us who don't recognize those signs though, but still a good idea all the same.

yeah. i tried to do a search. Looks like US, Canada, Germany and France all have the same stop sign shape at least. I could have always hunted around so more, but I did do a little searching before I posted.

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 8/17/2022 at 7:46 PM, UltraAlt said:

yeah. i tried to do a search. Looks like US, Canada, Germany and France all have the same stop sign shape at least. I could have always hunted around so more, but I did do a little searching before I posted.

Or have multiple icons.

Dr. Warning ⚠️  

Dr. Warning ⚠️ ⚠️ 

Dr. Warning ️ ️ ️ 

• City Council

Re: Color blindness, that is an issue for the warning mode phase but should hopefully not be a long-term problem once the real system is turned on. When enforcement is enabled, the orange icon goes away and is replaced with a red/white one that has an inverted color exclamation point to make it distinctive from the warning icon:

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Number Six said:

Re: Color blindness, that is an issue for the warning mode phase but should hopefully not be a long-term problem once the real system is turned on. When enforcement is enabled, the orange icon goes away and is replaced with a red/white one that has an inverted color exclamation point to make it distinctive from the warning icon:

That white exclamation mark looks like it's one pixel to the right of centre.

Therefore I'm cancelling my subscription immediately.

• Haha 3

Hi, 

I haven't read the thread yet, sorry don't have the time at the moment. I just wanted to ask my question and maybe someone will be kind enough to reply before I'm afforded the opportunity to scroll through it all.

I created two names two days ago, named I intended to use for new Symphony characters when the issue released. Lo and behold, it's here! I go to delete my placeholder characters to create my Symphonies, and... Name unavailable. It happened once "wow, crazy coincedence," but then it happened again...

When you delete a name, does it somehow become unabailable for a period? Does it alert someone who tried to create with that name? How could they both be IMMEDIATELY unavailable upon deletion?!

2 minutes ago, ChrisMoses said:

Hi, 

I haven't read the thread yet, sorry don't have the time at the moment. I just wanted to ask my question and maybe someone will be kind enough to reply before I'm afforded the opportunity to scroll through it all.

I created two names two days ago, named I intended to use for new Symphony characters when the issue released. Lo and behold, it's here! I go to delete my placeholder characters to create my Symphonies, and... Name unavailable. It happened once "wow, crazy coincedence," but then it happened again...

When you delete a name, does it somehow become unabailable for a period? Does it alert someone who tried to create with that name? How could they both be IMMEDIATELY unavailable upon deletion?!

It's a bug.  Create the character with a random name, then rename the character to what you want.  It should work.

If there is some name that you really want, you can always try getting the name on another server. Each server has its own name pool.

I'm assuming most of the most obvious names for a new powerset are going to get picked pretty quickly.

Edited by UltraAlt

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

If there is some name that you really want, you can always try getting the name on another server. Each server has its own name pool.

I'm assuming most of the most obvious names for a new powerset are going to get picked pretty quickly.

I didn't think they were too obvious, but in that moment of panic I could have believed anything.

• Thumbs Up 1