Collision Adjustments

Once upon a time, if somebody stood next to me in this game, we didn't both automatically fight for the same space and watch our characters slide across the room, even though neither of us were moving manually. On the same side of the token, once upon a time, NPC's didn't push my character out of the way either.

I honestly can't remember when this became an issue, but I am thinking it was around i6 or i7. I seem to recall a change was made to collision in this game, although I honestly can't remember why. Could we all agree that something needs tweaked to get this fixed at some point?

Well, I don't know if we *all* agree, but I know *I* find being pushed all over the place annoying.  :)

Now I'm curious as to why it was introduced, if it wasn't there from the beginning? An accidental side-effect from something else, maybe?

Well, I don't know if we *all* agree, but I know *I* find being pushed all over the place annoying.  :)

Now I'm curious as to why it was introduced, if it wasn't there from the beginning? An accidental side-effect from something else, maybe?

I honestly can't remember for sure why, but if I had to take a guess, it was to prevent NPCs from stacking on top of each other back in the Fire Tank herding days. That is just a guess though. We as players bouncing all over the map due to the collision change, I believe, was the side effect.

Somebody else who remembers better will have to explain that one...back when the change happened, I didn't pay it much mind until much later when I started noticing the issue that arose from it.

It would seem we all agree...on forums, no replies are a good thing. It means nobody disagrees enough to put up a stink about it.  :D

I don't remember when it was introduced..

But I believe the general idea was to let players push NPCs *cough* Mastermind Minions *cough* out of the way. It sadly had a double-edged effect.

IIRC, before the change minions could totally body block you from going through small passageways and doors.. At least now you can try to nudge them aside and get through.

Next time you're with a MM try to walk through their herd of minions. You'll notice they fan out and clear way for you. That didn't used to happen before the collision change, as far as I can remember. But now of course they can push us back and we push each other around too xD

ahh hell yeah vote a big yes !!, talking PvE as there should be collision when PvP.

if it's not the mass of pets it's players bumping and jostling for position especially in the tight area's we have always fight in

You're mistaken about collision being 'introduced' at some point.  Player/mob collision has always existed, although at different points in the game exactly what and how much things collide has been adjusted.  (In fact, the "collision" mechanic is an irrevocably core part of the cryptic engine.  As someone, I think Synapse, liked to say when people discussed wall running -- it's impossible in CoH because there are no "walls" to run on, only collision boundaries.)  Players not colliding with each other was tested in an early issue, although I can't find the patch notes for it right now; I think around 5.  "6 or 7" as you said is possible too.  It was re-enabled, iirc in part due to player demand.

It could be turned off on a mob-by-mob basis, which sounds time-consuming but not impossible.  Personally, I'd prefer it were left as it is, but I could see an argument for reducing the collision on MM pets.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

You're mistaken about collision being 'introduced' at some point.  Player/mob collision has always existed, although at different points in the game exactly what and how much things collide has been adjusted.  (In fact, the "collision" mechanic is an irrevocably core part of the cryptic engine.  As someone, I think Synapse, liked to say when people discussed wall running -- it's impossible in CoH because there are no "walls" to run on, only collision boundaries.)  Players not colliding with each other was tested in an early issue, although I can't find the patch notes for it right now; I think around 5.  "6 or 7" as you said is possible too.  It was re-enabled, iirc in part due to player demand.

It could be turned off on a mob-by-mob basis, which sounds time-consuming but not impossible.  Personally, I'd prefer it were left as it is, but I could see an argument for reducing the collision on MM pets.

At this point, I would be happy with any type of change that makes it better than it is now. The collision mechanics as they stand now are annoying.

P.S. I never said it was "introduced." I knew it always existed.  ;)

Definitely have my support for this.

Collision is important and I wouldn't want it to disappear completely but it would be nice if it could be toned down.

Especially now that we all have Incarnate pets too. Trying to get past a giant Ruluru eyeball on a CoT cave map is frustrating as balls.

I think from launch, moving entities always pushed non-moving ones. This counted for NPCs and PCs. I'm not sure how else you could handle it aside from WoW's approach of just letting people move through each other. Which brings up even worse issues IMO, like MOBs running through you yet still somehow attacking you. If you auto-turned to attack in WoW like you do in CoH it wouldn't be so bad, but being able to be "inside" someone else might mess with that anyway.

I only really notice shoving when everyone's crowded around an NPC like a trainer, or I guess when the entire team initially zones into a mission.

Even the smallest hitbox pets clog doorways.

Masterminds need a 0-cost toggle that can be activated to 'turn off' collision while in groups. That way, they can retain it for solo play or PvP or whatever, where bodyblocking enemies is a valid tactic, but remove it when it just hurts your party.

I'm sorry, but your pets are not worth more damage than the three melee party members who can't get through the door.

As it stands, only Masterminds can 'push' their own pets. Your party? Sorry, but your pets are walls to us. And it bugs me to no end.

.... which is why the very first keybind I re-learned after coming Home, was my "SHIFT+LBUTTON GOTO" bind.  My pets may not respect you, but I do ...! :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I don't remember when it was introduced..

But I believe the general idea was to let players push NPCs *cough* Mastermind Minions *cough* out of the way. It sadly had a double-edged effect.

IIRC, before the change minions could totally body block you from going through small passageways and doors.. At least now you can try to nudge them aside and get through.

Next time you're with a MM try to walk through their herd of minions. You'll notice they fan out and clear way for you. That didn't used to happen before the collision change, as far as I can remember. But now of course they can push us back and we push each other around too xD

They still can.

In my experience, while the MM themselves can walk through their pack of minions without any trouble... Other players may not be so fortunate. I've been blocked into rooms and corners, and kept from moving through sewer doorways repeatedly over the last few weeks by both Desdemona's demons and a friend's Dire Wolf. Sometimes you can shove and worm your way through them, but often you can't.

ETA: And heaven help you if that massive Zenith Warcry or Malta mech falls over and dies in a doorway... You won't be able to get out past it, either, until the model fades. *THAT* annoys me more than the MM pet issue, honestly. A defeated critter shouldn't be able to prevent me leaving a room. <_<

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice