Best AT for badge hunting ?

rprandi

For solo and party content any AT and set combination works, but what AT is the best for those specific badges ? 

For example, It is tough to have the healing badge with a toon without PBAoE heal power. etc.

Are you satisfied with your current AT for badge hunter ?

7 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

@Voltor snagged all the badges with every AT, so that's proof that there isn't one specific AT or build that is easiest. Play what it most fun to you.

This is good advice.  If for no other reason: the toon you like to play is the toon that will get badges.

My badger is a blaster—DP/MC, to be precise, but the particular powerset choice isn't as important as being able to do lots of damage to lots of mobs all at once.  The defeat badges happen a lot more quickly that way.  But there are ways to get the all the badges with any AT—for example, the badges for healing others can be gotten by standing in a spot in Mercy Island with lots of Arachnos troops and auto-firing the Rebirth incarnate power.  So mostly, just play a toon you enjoy.  If you're trying to get badges, you'll be playing that toon a lot.

Edited by Zhym
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

@Voltor snagged all the badges with every AT, so that's proof that there isn't one specific AT or build that is easiest. Play what it most fun to you.

Quite right, play the one that is the most fun for you.  Some AT/power sets will have a faster time then others for certain badges.   But there will be badges that will take some time to get.  Also when Halloween, Winter and Spring Events are online, THOSE badges should become your top priority as they are once a year badges.  Halloween has the most badges of the events followed by Winter, Summer event is year round, and Spring has the least badges of the events.   In May when it is anniversary month, you'll get the new anniversary badge and you should then immediately get to Luna in Ouroborus and procure all previous anniversary badges......if you have the reward merits.   So my advice for all the above events is that all your active alts need to run them and get the once a year badges out of the way.

One of these days I'll post my own list of how I've classified the badges,  Easily Soloed,  More Efficient with Team,  and Team/League mandatory.    Then I have 2 sub categories: Speed Bump and ROYAL PAIN.

Example: 2 MAP badges that are team/league mandatory to get.   The map badge under the hydra in the Sewer Trial,  and the Unabashed badge atop the Ritki mothership in RWZ.

An example of a badge that is both easily soloed and can only be obtained Solo is Toy Collector for opening 200 presents during Winter Event.  clicking a present has always given credit only to the one that opens it.

Speed bump: Examples are the last badge in the: damage inflicted/damage taken/healing badges/held badges sets and also the 5th and 6th money badges. 

ROYAL PAIN: that honor goes to the Dreamwalker badge in the MoM incarnate trial.  What dev back in the day was in an angry mood when they set the criteria for that one?

• Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

Hi, not too sure if this is frowned on or see as cheating amongst the Badging Community but is really handy, and that is to give a bit of thought to any second account alts you have that can be used as a dual boxing support to your Badger alt.

Makes getting badges from say the Arena a lot easier especially if you have to solo a lot of your ingame time.

Same as having a pocket healer when kneeling down in front of CoT taking damage et cetera.

Apart from that and as Voltor said, try and prioritise any new badges that come ingame especially the “needs a team” ones.

I missed a bit of time when the Incarnate trials were introduced and have still not  got the Keep out of the Green Stuff and the Three at Once (?) from Keyes and The Magesterium trials. These are a lucky find if you see a shoutout these days.

But back on topic I had a Claws/SR Scrappie as my badger before Sunset and here now I have a Fire/EM blaster and I have no regrets about either choice. 

Go Hunt Kill   ENJOY 🥇🥇

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/15/2022 at 2:41 PM, rprandi said:

For example, It is tough to have the healing badge with a toon without PBAoE heal power. etc.

Actually, the badge requirements are high enough that people generally farm those badges, even on a 'healer'.

I have two comments:

1) The character you enjoy playing the most is probably the best choice.  Some badges will take a LONG time and require that you play the character A LOT.  For example, the badges for earning influence.  The last badge is for half a billion inf and selling stuff doesn't count - only kills and mission completion rewards.  Also dealing damage, taking damage and debt.  All are 'farmable' but it's easier if you get most those badges without trying during the course of normal play.

2) One consideration is that some characters are not great for soloing.  As an example, a badger friend back on live, who played a mind/empathy controller asked to team with me for the Ouroboros challenge badges (i.e. no enhancements, enemies buffed, etc) because it was a really tough slog for him and relatively easy for my scrapper.

FYI, my main character and only badger is Ironblade, who is broadsword/regen.  I made him back in the day because I thought it sounded like a good starter character to learn the game and never looked back.  I remade him on Homecoming and he has every badge at this time.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

Also, remember that you can have multiple builds on a character! So if need be, you can make a goofy build with Provoke and TP Target to help corral lowbie foes; perfect for the badge where you have to defeat Spectral Pirates on top of the "not Ghostbusters" ghost traps.

I think the only second build I did for a badge was for getting the ski slope badges.  (Not really needed, those really just take a bit of practice)

My badger (DB/WP Scrapper) is still clawing it's way up to get the last badge.   iirc, I think that dang arena badge and a few of the new Masters need doing.

On 11/16/2022 at 3:10 AM, Voltor said:

Example: 2 MAP badges that are team/league mandatory to get.   The map badge under the hydra in the Sewer Trial,  and the Unabashed badge atop the Ritki mothership in RWZ.

While it is customary to be on a team/league to get the Unabashed Badge, which is underneath the Rikti shield until the pylons come down - there's no need to actually be on a team or league. Half the time, Psyheal or Doc Proteus is running an MSR at 2pm and I can just hop in there solo, if I can manage to get in the zone before it fills up. 

Just my own opinion, based solely on anecdotal evidence - a few things along the lines of what Voltor shared. 

A tank is likely to have taken more damage than other ATs, simply because of the higher hitpoints. And, it would make sense that blasters/scrappers/stalkers/brutes are leading the way for damage dished out. But these badges and the heal badges are traditionally farmed, as the requirements are abnormally high in comparison to other requirements. Additionally, they are quite tedious to get - and even though some of my farm brutes have over 1000 vet levels, none of them have the higher damage taken nor damage dished out badges because those criteria don't count in AE, so you have to clever in how you farm those categories. There are other posts in the badges section on how to farm those badges if you need to see. 

For my money - the one character I've had the worst time with - and that's just me - and that's my fire/time controller. Part of it is my build, which isn't fantastic, but the other part is I just really don't enjoy it as much compared to my blasters/corruptors/brutes. I've only got 5 characters with all the badges - 1 tank, 2 blasters and 2 corruptors. The easiest time was with my fire/fire blaster, then my ice/ice blaster, then fire/rad corruptor, followed by water/sonic corruptor, then the tank. 

But that is just me. The advice is the same - play what you enjoy, as you'll be on the character a LOT. 

On 11/15/2022 at 12:48 PM, Astralock said:

Mastermind.  Great for soloing, good for teams.  It can do just about anything.

Agree,

My bots/dark MM was my primary Badge hunter back on live and had almost every badge available at the time.  I rolled that same combo again for my new badge hunter.  I haven't been very diligent with my badging activities, but I currently sit just shy of 1000.  The ability to solo, so much content including GMs really helps.

Hi, one other great aid for any Badge Hunter not too often mentioned, is to find and join an active badge orientated Supergroup.

I never understood that on live and worked mostly solo due to odd play times and duration ingame. I never  had or joined a supergroup.

Then here I was so happy to find that I could have and kit out my very own base, that I concentrated doing that. I have no regrets because I have massively enjoyed learning from knowing nothing to owning my own home base 🥳

So it was a mainly solo badge job again lol.

Do consider the SG path if it would suit you. 

Cheers