What's your dream hero name and why?

mrdeeds7

No idea.  I don't hoard names nor feel overly protective of them, until they're mine; then I'd like to keep it of course.  But I have no idea what my next name is going to be until the urge to make a new toon coalesces into the idea for the build.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Because I feel the name release system will go online sometime soon I am not answering this out of fear of getting blackmailed/new wave of name hoarders/name sellers.

Remember that less than 5% of players actually visit forums and the community isnt as great as you think it is

• Thumbs Down 1

In the early days of Homecoming before it was even called that, I was bouncing around excited about more than one server (once there was more than one). I liked all the names and didn't have any associations with any other them. On live I had crafted a Yeti character rather carefully and I still had my costume files from lives (yes I saved them), so when I saw one of the servers was named Indomitable, I jumped on to make the Indomitable Snowman! Did make him, but didn't like the first set of powers I picked, so I deleted him and immediately made him over and... couldn't get the name. Either someone else happened to make a character during the 30 seconds or less after I deleted, or... I dunno. I had to make the name without the space.

I would make my Indomitable Snowman. 🙂

Other than that, I've never had a name conflict. I don't think there are any other Trixibelle's on servers other than Everlasting, though I haven't looked, or tried to block it out.

Not sure that would qualify as a dream name though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, SteelRat70 said:

What names other than copyrighted characters and CoH signature characters are actively locked?

Genuine question.

pretty much offensive and thats about it

Which kind of makes me want to roll "Deep Dark Taint"

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

What's offensive varies. I made an MM named Nurse Rona guess when, with a backstory that she was a nurse who helped folks in areas of outbreak, her Mercs were grateful soldiers who were now guarding and protecting her as she continued to try and help the stricken. She didn't take any guns from her primary. Just a concept toon, intended to pay homage to the health care folks who have been true heroes. She got genericked. I appealed and was told no, that was offensive.

Remade her as Florence Nightengale and was genericked again.

I suspect my butthurt is still showing. 😕

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, momentarygrace said:

What's offensive varies. I made an MM named Nurse Rona guess when, with a backstory that she was a nurse who helped folks in areas of outbreak, her Mercs were grateful soldiers who were now guarding and protecting her as she continued to try and help the stricken. She didn't take any guns from her primary. Just a concept toon, intended to pay homage to the health care folks who have been true heroes. She got genericked. I appealed and was told no, that was offensive.

They genericed Florence?  Copyright? reroll as bots?  Florence and the machines? 

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, momentarygrace said:

Odd about the Florence generic, I do know anything even partially connected to the pandemic got generic'd at the time.   They may have just extended it to any health care related stuff because there are a lot of people that were being stupid.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

Ah ok - common sense then, although offensive is fairly subjective and especially in this day and age.  Touch wood, I've never had a character generic'd and probably the most offensive character name I ever had on live was called "FireKin R-Soul".

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

I always wanted the name "The Disappointed Scientist," but it's too many characters.  It's enough to drive one mad.

I have the same issue with "Unfrozen Caveman Hero" -- it's one letter too long. I still check it every once in a while just in case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

(╥﹏╥)

╰( ⁰ ਊ ⁰ )━☆゚.*・。゚

(つ◉益◉)つ

More character options because I just think it would be neat to be named something like (っ◕‿◕)っ without a care in the world at how inconvenient it would be.

Edited by Nayeh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Krimson said:

Maybe it's possible that whomever genericed Florence Nightingale thought she was a fictional character, and not someone who's been dead for 112 years?

I attempted to make that point, unsuccessfully. There might or might not be a current version using something mumble Knight N. Gale... <.< >.> <.<

7 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

How about Thawed Caveman Hero?

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman. The idea of not fully committing to the gag frightens and confuses me!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

….it is not really subject to expansion or shrinkage….

Sure, but you never know. Maybe I mis-counted the last hundred times I checked it. Maybe they changed the rules about name length and I just missed the announcement. Maybe I've unknowingly done something to please the electric pixies that live inside my computer and use their digital magic to make it all work right and they'll grant me this favor in return by letting it slide just this once. The fae are capricious, that's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mjolnerd said:

Sure, but you never know. Maybe I mis-counted the last hundred times I checked it. Maybe they changed the rules about name length and I just missed the announcement. Maybe I've unknowingly done something to please the electric pixies that live inside my computer and use their digital magic to make it all work right and they'll grant me this favor in return by letting it slide just this once. The fae are capricious, that's all I'm saying.

Thawed?