How to make bases relevant?

Romeyn

3 hours ago, Romeyn said:

Seems we are fighting QoL improvements as bases become less relevant, how can we change this? 

Maybe they could allow you to select the specific entrance/exit/POI to each zone you have a teleporter to, like if you selected Eden, you could choose the base teleporter, the Founders Falls door, or the Hive door...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Romeyn said:

Seems we are fighting QoL improvements as bases become less relevant, how can we change this? 

Bases are totally relevant and to some an entirely other game. 

Bases prove that it isn’t about the INF it’s about the Stuff. I keep all my Stuff in my SG Base. I also do a lot of other stuff in my SG Base. Teleport, build, run mishes and meet friends just to name a few.

Bases can be compared to the costumes in game. Almost an infinite number of possibilities. 

If you believe they are approaching irrelevance you may be using them improperly.

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I would agree with most on this post. There are 4 of us in my SG and we use the trainer, facemaker, and everything else in the base quicker then we'd use their counterparts within zones. Would be nice to access the AH but understand that it's a pain to code. Bases less revelent? NEVER!

9 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

uh, when did bases become "less relevant"?

oh, I see low-number poster.

I'm not sure what their post count has to do with askin a question? Because he and I and many others has less than twenty posts. Does that make us less relevant? You preach of bullying and you make comments like that... Which in my eyes is bullying. Good job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory? Sorry I couldnt get into detail on the question, I posted it on my phone at work. I was trying to see how bases can be more relevant, with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones , with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases. Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

Edited by Romeyn
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

@UltraAlt, the post is 16hrs old... Possibly @Romeyn  has  a life outside of the forums? I looked at their past posts and didn't see any signs of trolling in any of them. As I see it the only troll on this post is you. You didn't agree then post it other than their post count. Appearently there are others who agree with @Romeyn. I personally don't but i posted why i didn't. 

Elitist Mentality has no place on these servers.

@Etched 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory? Sorry I couldnt get into detail on the question, I posted it on my phone at work. I was trying to see how bases can be more relevant, with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones , with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases. Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

Base TP is a good addition to LRTP since there's such a thing as cool down.  And LRTP does need the zone to be visited for a badge first.  Plus I can catch up on stuff while parked in a base without worrying about a timeout.  (yes, you can be in an Ouro, AE, or TF for that as well)

Vault reserve is per character, making it a bit hard to pass stuff from one char to another.

Enhancement tables seem to be the most common storage for my base needs, plus Rare Salvage.  I do have four racks for Common and Uncommon.

The base is my one stop place for pretty much everything except surgeon and AH.

And this isn't even going into the amazing bases that other people have designed and shown off around here.

And you can do base raids again (details elsewhere) if you're into the PvP stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure if this has been shared about base relevance, but I use base building for creating settings that match character stories, backgrounds, or living spaces specific to their needs and character preferences. I'm not as wildly talented as the out-of-grid builders are, but the ones I create are specifically for character groups, and collectives that players I know actively RP on. Base is and always will be a core feature of the game for me and players like me. Because it allows us the chance to create the areas that our creativity wishes to share with those we play with.

I could provide a fair example of a "setting" base that ended up becoming a home to a collective of refugee alien characters. Nexusstation-24135 And no, it's not being added to the public listings. It's a home first, not a house, or a public space.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

7 hours ago, Etched said:

I'm not sure what their post count has to do with askin a question? Because he and I and many others has less than twenty posts. Does that make us less relevant? You preach of bullying and you make comments like that... Which in my eyes is bullying. Good job. 

Couldn't agree more.  Sadly, the game is full of elitists who are doing more harm than good and driving more and more people away with their intolerant attitudes and their flagrant bullying. 

As to the topic, I also don't see how bases are less relevant than before.  Removing prestige from the whole thing was a great change in my humble opinion.  They're a creative outlet for some.  I wouldn't say that makes them irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Community Rep

I'm honestly happy to see people with low post counts contributing! I feel like the forums are not visited by many people who'd benefit.  But, I haven't been influenced by seeing posts of "trolls" from such folk. At any rate, even tho I don't think bases are irrelevant,  I feel it's clearly a fair question from their pov. I'm actually pretty happy that some feel that they get by just fine without bases; for me, even without the ability to create worlds for my characters and others, and for the creative outlet, bases are way too convenient, I get all my services in one spot and I can teleport to it immediately from anywhere. (Well, all but AH, but it's just a step thru the entry to get to that, and pop, back in the base). Unfortunately, there are far more requests to build bases than our base building population can keep up with, so, seeing people say, "Eh, I can live without" eases the tension, to me! I really hate seeing people go without what I consider to be essential equipment. 🙂

I hope to see a lot of low post count posters, to me, that means the game is growing! New people welcome!! And if you're new and you don't know what bases can be...come see me.

-Dacy

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I don't think your OP was trolling or inflammatory.  I rarely use bases myself, so I'd be all for making them more meaningful, provided normal QoL options aren't taken away in the process, (such as the long range teleporter).  What is the game truly lacking that SG bases could provide?  Maybe a hologram generator that allows you to complete "FedEx missions" from your base?  *** shrugs ***

14 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory?

The question you asked - like many I have seen from low count posters of late - appears to be a "drama" post.

Something that some players do in RPG groups just to try to start some kind of drama.

They kind of throw something out, toss a match on it, and walk away. 

I've seen it done repeatedly. This seemed to be that sort of behavior.

with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones

Untrue. I teleport the a supergroup base all the time even though I have long range teleport. I save LRT for when I need it.

SG teleport and SG portal are easy ways to get to a base (and they quickly recharge) so that I can get where I need to go and pick up supplies along the way.

with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases

I haven't put a vault in a base or used one since I learned about the personal vault.

One more enhancement storage unit in a base instead works for me.

I don't generally put insp storage in a base either, though putting team insps in storage can be helpful

Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

As I mentioned above, enhancement storage.

I generally only have 1 or 2 salvage storage in a base. Those tend to be for holiday items; masks and candy canes  ...  though I do put some catalysts and unslotters in the salvage storage of some bases.

With multiple characters on all servers (and tending to make more) and sg mates, it makes sense to have the staple (ones most characters would slot) enhancements in storage. My bases are enhancement storage heavy.

Other reasons bases are not irrelevant

As others have pointed out, you can put trainers in bases.

You can put vendors in bases that will sell you SO enhancements and inspirations.

You can put tailors in bases.

You can put buff machines in bases.

You can put a med device in bases so falling can send  you there to get what gear you need to continue  your mission/activities.

Heck, you can even make them look cool and roleplay in them.

My character must have used sg teleport or sg portal to go to a base some 5-6 times in the last 3 hours.

In no way do I see bases to be irrelevant.

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

New people welcome!!

I agree.

Poster joined April 2019.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:45 AM, Arc-Mage said:

Bases are totally relevant and to some an entirely other game

Erm... I believe that's the point. The OP seems to be stating that the Supergroup Base minigame isn't very relevant to the main game.

• Community Rep
47 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Erm... I believe that's the point. The OP seems to be stating that the Supergroup Base minigame isn't very relevant to the main game.

Bases are not necessary to play the game. Bases, like it was pointed out earlier, are an extra like costuming, to flesh out a character or concept. Bases are no more necessary than all of the zone teleporters, mission transports, different ways to fly, run, jump, cosmetic pets...all the little QOL things we like to have. They are convenient. They make gaming easier. They pair nicely with particular concepts and passions. Relevancy is all in how you process things, it's very individual. However, what may not be relevant to some may be indispensable to others. And what you say isn't relevant to the main game, I'm sure is true for you, but I can name a ton of people for whom there is no game without the bases. Batman has his Batcave. Superman has the Fortress of Solitude. The Teen Titans have Titan Tower. (Hmm, DC is much more base oriented than Marvel...) So is it strictly necessary to fight bad guys? No. Is it necessary for some people's character concepts? Yes.  And, bases can be, as Arc-Mage said, a whole other world even past that.

Interesting discussion.

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:03 AM, Romeyn said:

I must disagree. Just because you don’t need a base doesn’t make it “not relevant.” Not everyone has the time or inclination to invest in a base. Having other options outside the base builder is just that, another option. 

This train of thought could easily be flipped around. The Personal Vault is not relevant because you can do the same thing in bases. etc etc etc

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

13 hours ago, Dacy said:

Batman has his Batcave. Superman has the Fortress of Solitude. The Teen Titans have Titan Tower. (Hmm, DC is much more base oriented than Marvel...) So is it strictly necessary to fight bad guys? No. Is it necessary for some people's character concepts? Yes. 

So, we have this situation where characters have a base as a narrative tool. The scene in the base is a time of introspection and the resolution of their personal problems - as we know from the 3 Act narrative structure.

Is there a way to tie this into your character in the game or is it way too broad a concept/too vague a thing and dependent on roleplay and down to the player's imagination instead? 

What I don't like about this is that it takes the idea of playing a game with rules that affect others and flings it into the bin.

At that point I may as well be playing with dolls on the living room floor. 

• Thumbs Down 1

• Community Rep
51 minutes ago, Herotu said:

So, we have this situation where characters have a base as a narrative tool. The scene in the base is a time of introspection and the resolution of their personal problems - as we know from the 3 Act narrative structure.

Is there a way to tie this into your character in the game or is it way too broad a concept/too vague a thing and dependent on roleplay and down to the player's imagination instead? 

What I don't like about this is that it takes the idea of playing a game with rules that affect others and flings it into the bin.

This is a MMORPG: Role. Playing. Game. And although it is also “massive multiplayer”, there is a good section of the population that plays solo. In what way do their actions then affect others? Does that not also trash the idea of a game where rules affect others?

There are many bases that affect others. My Halloween base is a whole experience.  There are clubs where one can mix and mingle and do activities; this, I should think, affects others far more than the soloist playing in solitude, which is more akin to your analogy of playing with dolls, since that is solitary, but mingling is social. Of course, perhaps it’s the anarchy of imagination that bothers you? It was a bit unclear what was annoying you. A lack of rules everyone follows at the same time? The idea that something can be used in multiple ways under different circumstances? 

Bases and supergroups are tied into the game, and they also tie into and derive from the comic books that gave the inspiration for the game. Your supergroup can be displayed as part of your identity. Your supergroup can be your team, your backup, your own personal League of Justice or Suicide Squad…as long as you don’t infringe on trademarks, heh. Bases are transportation, restoration, storage, a place to strategize, improve your powers, and access missions, none of which requires role play, and all of which connects directly to the game. The fact that they can *also* be used for role play and other fun activities, I think, is a testimony to the flexibility of this game, and a big part of the reason that it’s still beloved and played nearly 20 years after creation. 

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

We have to be careful about being drawn in to things that are purely trying cause an issue.

However, you are the Base Community Rep so I feel I have an obligation to respond to this conversation with @Herotu in this thread.

44 minutes ago, Dacy said:

This is a MMORPG: Role. Playing. Game. And although it is also “massive multiplayer”, there is a good section of the population that plays solo. In what way do their actions then affect others? Does that not also trash the idea of a game where rules affect others?

I have the feeling that the people that play City of Heroes solo are using the auction house. As soon as they are using the auction house, they are playing with others.

When you play on a team in City of Heroes, you are viewing and interacting with the world through the team leader/star holder's version of reality. Solo players are doing this while soloing. 

Obviously game rules affect every character and action in the game. The software is the rules. Your hardware (and use of slash commands within the software) is how you interact with the rules/software.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

If your character is in a supergroup, they can build a base (if leader), modify a base (if allowed by the sg leader), access the base (unless locked out of the sg base by the team leader), grant access to the base to other members of your team (if the sg leader has it set up that way), grant access to the base through forming a coalition (if sg leader), and set up a passcode to allow anyone into your base at any time (if sg leader).

So if there are other members of  your supergroup, your sg coalitions with another supergroup, your supergroup settings allow other teammates to enter your base, and/or  you provide your base passcode to others (through the forums, in-game chat, or on the Homecoming Wiki - SEE server listings links at bottom of page - https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Supergroup_Base), other players can interact with the rules that were set up for that base. That is to say how  you can interact with that base has been defined through the rules that the base creator setup to move around the base and the way that access has been set for various storage items within the base.

Do you have to roleplay like you are talking to a trainer to level up in a base?

I guess you could, but I don't think most players do.

The same goes with other interactions.

If you, say, go to a store and pick up items off the shelf, you might to minimal interactions with other shoppers, but your main interaction with another person in a store is with the cashier (if there even is one at this point).

Now it is pretty much up to your imagination about where your base is located.

If you were on DCUO, you could use a teleporter to get a base, but there are physical street entrances to the bases as well (even if they are actually located in space or below the ocean). I don't think that is necessary, and I rarely use the street entrances in the little amount of time that I play DCUO since Homecoming is here.

Do you emote pulling out a cell phone and calling your base for transport/teleport to it?

Do you even /local chat what you are saying to the person, computer, robot, or whatever at the base to let them know that you want to be transported to the base?

That is up to you. Players don't have to do that as part of the game's software built rules.

Now it is up to your imagination to add flavor to your base and the way you build a base does affect how people see the base and interact with it.
The base creator uses the rules of the game to instill their imagination into the City of Heroes for other players to experience ... if they want to do that.

If you are in your base when others are there,  you can interact as another player with them (this is also within the software-coding/rules of the game), but  you don't have to be there for them to interact with what your imagination has generated.

If you are looking for more automated role-play interaction than what the base provides, you can do that through the AE. You could even provide your base passcode or global name as part of an AE adventure with your character and any other character in your supergroup.

But, perhaps, the imagination/creativity level is the real issue.

What is "it" exactly?

And what is your "idea of playing a game with rules that affect others"?

And why does "it" throw "the idea of playing a game with rules that affect others" away as being useless, trash, garbage, refuse or what not?

I think you are essential using the term "doll" as a demeaning term. I find that to be a trolling mechanic. It is intentionally trying to provoke a response.

Playing with dolls (solo or with others) is no different than playing with action figures, miniatures, board games, video games, computer games, virtual reality, or LARPing.

Even if there are other things added to the environment, it is the interaction with a player or players with the environment.

You can roleplay with yourself. That is what a player is doing when they actually think that they are a superhero when they solo in City of Heroes.

Granted, there are players that are just running a character that have no character conception that just want to mindlessly hulk-smash or farm-afk that only have a focus on power-leveling to 50, slotting the best stuff into the best pre-planned mini-maxed character, and just doing more of the same with no interaction with others even if they have joined a team. Nonetheless, they are still playing with their digital "doll".

You, by playing, City of Heroes are essentially "Playing with dolls on the living room floor" within the non-physical props that have been given with you within the game to play with your dolls on the game's "living room floor".

That being said, most bases have more options than Barbie's Dream House, and I'm unsure if anyone level's up Barbie while playing with them (though it is quite possible that some do at this point in game development on multiple levels and possibly leveling up Barbie is getting another costume).

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

The fact that they can *also* be used for role play and other fun activities, I think, is a testimony to the flexibility of this game, and a big part of the reason that it’s still beloved and played nearly 20 years after creation. 

I think how much freedom the game gives you confuses many people.

I don't want to say this in a mean way, but some people simply aren't creative in one way or another. They have different strengths and weakness  ... .just like the different archetypes and alignements in City of Heroes.

It isn't Blue, Red, and Gold. It's Heroes, Villains, and Praetorians (Dystopians). These are linked to behavior sets.

We all have to be careful how we spend or time and see if it is worth it or not to engage in that interaction.

I find SG Bases central to my game play.

I no longer use the LRT unless necessary. I find travel thru the SG base faster.

You access three ways

• the port you can buy
  • the portal you can buy
  • the day badge portal

I focus on a small footprint with limited storage.

Vault storage is nice because you can access it thru your salvage tab.

Especially nice if you are using a portable workbench or crafting at a university.

I will often pass on the hospital tp and use my bases med pad. It allows me to regen and restock safely inspirations.

Trainers, quartermaster, icon tailor ....etc... are in my base and my go-to. (Always Lady Liberty for lvl 50)

Buff pads are a nice asset as well.

Bases don't get the spotlight like Farming or Marketeering but are vital to my gameplay.

My gameplay.

Many thanks to @Dacy for the videos for base building. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone