How to make bases relevant?

Romeyn

3 hours ago, Romeyn said:

Seems we are fighting QoL improvements as bases become less relevant, how can we change this? 

Maybe they could allow you to select the specific entrance/exit/POI to each zone you have a teleporter to, like if you selected Eden, you could choose the base teleporter, the Founders Falls door, or the Hive door...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Romeyn said:

Seems we are fighting QoL improvements as bases become less relevant, how can we change this? 

Wha? My base is where my Portal Room and my bins are. My tailor is there. I love my base.

5 hours ago, Romeyn said:

Bases are totally relevant and to some an entirely other game. 

Bases prove that it isn’t about the INF it’s about the Stuff. I keep all my Stuff in my SG Base. I also do a lot of other stuff in my SG Base. Teleport, build, run mishes and meet friends just to name a few.

Bases can be compared to the costumes in game. Almost an infinite number of possibilities. 

If you believe they are approaching irrelevance you may be using them improperly.

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

5 hours ago, Romeyn said:

uh, when did bases become "less relevant"?

oh, I see low-number poster.

• Thumbs Down 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they are most probably on ignore.

Some of them even know that I have them on ignore.

But that won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it.

It's who they are. There is a group of them that have banded together to do it. They think that it is acceptable.

Ignore is a tool to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using it.

I would agree with most on this post. There are 4 of us in my SG and we use the trainer, facemaker, and everything else in the base quicker then we'd use their counterparts within zones. Would be nice to access the AH but understand that it's a pain to code. Bases less revelent? NEVER!

9 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

uh, when did bases become "less relevant"?

oh, I see low-number poster.

I'm not sure what their post count has to do with askin a question? Because he and I and many others has less than twenty posts. Does that make us less relevant? You preach of bullying and you make comments like that... Which in my eyes is bullying. Good job. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Etched said:

I'm not sure what their post count has to do with askin a question?

Accounts with low post counts that are posting inflammatory post are popping up frequently of late and seem to be trolling the forums.

Because he and I and many others has less than twenty posts

Asking a question is one thing. Taking part in a conversation is another. Making suggestions that make some kind of sense related to knowledge of the game are also legit.

Making statements that are obviously false to get people to respond is trolling as far as I'm concerned.

Some people are apparently using their second, third, etc. account to come onto the forums and troll.

Does that make us less relevant?

Trolls are trolls.

Saying that bases ...

15 hours ago, Romeyn said:

as bases become less relevant

.... is trolling.

Do you see that original poster responding to this thread?

You could even be that same person defending "their" actions.

You preach of bullying and you make comments like that

This trolling is bullying.

Which in my eyes is bullying. Good job. 

Good for you. Put me on ignore and move on.

Someone making a stand against trolling is not bullying anyone.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Down 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they are most probably on ignore.

But that won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it.

It's who they are. There is a group of them that have banded together to do it. They think that it is acceptable.

Ignore is a tool to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using it.

15 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I'd argue that for a while there, SG bases were far too relevant on Homecoming.

• Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory? Sorry I couldnt get into detail on the question, I posted it on my phone at work. I was trying to see how bases can be more relevant, with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones , with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases. Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

Edited by Romeyn
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

@UltraAlt, the post is 16hrs old... Possibly @Romeyn  has  a life outside of the forums? I looked at their past posts and didn't see any signs of trolling in any of them. As I see it the only troll on this post is you. You didn't agree then post it other than their post count. Appearently there are others who agree with @Romeyn. I personally don't but i posted why i didn't. 

Elitist Mentality has no place on these servers.

@Etched 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, Etched said:

Elitist Mentality has no place on these servers.

You are correct.

So I will not deal with you any longer as you think you are superior to me because I'm stating something that I see to be true through a repetitive pattern over the last couple of months at least.

Posters with low post counts come on and post something that is inflammatory to get the obvious reaction to their inflammatory comment.

Your response to me make your stance clear.

You support this type of trolling behavior. I don't.

EDIT :: So, since people seem to be hunting down this post to give it a thumbs-down, the original poster "Joined April 27, 2019".

I keep seeing the behavior of low post-count accounts that have been around for years that are posting obviously inflammatory comments.

I'm calling it out for what it is.

What I am seeing is players trying to support players creating unnecessary drama in the forums.

I don't support that kind of drama. 

Other players needed a warning not to waste their time being drawn into it.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Down 5

3 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory? Sorry I couldnt get into detail on the question, I posted it on my phone at work. I was trying to see how bases can be more relevant, with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones , with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases. Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

Base TP is a good addition to LRTP since there's such a thing as cool down.  And LRTP does need the zone to be visited for a badge first.  Plus I can catch up on stuff while parked in a base without worrying about a timeout.  (yes, you can be in an Ouro, AE, or TF for that as well)

Vault reserve is per character, making it a bit hard to pass stuff from one char to another.

Enhancement tables seem to be the most common storage for my base needs, plus Rare Salvage.  I do have four racks for Common and Uncommon.

The base is my one stop place for pretty much everything except surgeon and AH.

And this isn't even going into the amazing bases that other people have designed and shown off around here.

And you can do base raids again (details elsewhere) if you're into the PvP stuff.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not sure if this has been shared about base relevance, but I use base building for creating settings that match character stories, backgrounds, or living spaces specific to their needs and character preferences. I'm not as wildly talented as the out-of-grid builders are, but the ones I create are specifically for character groups, and collectives that players I know actively RP on. Base is and always will be a core feature of the game for me and players like me. Because it allows us the chance to create the areas that our creativity wishes to share with those we play with.

I could provide a fair example of a "setting" base that ended up becoming a home to a collective of refugee alien characters. Nexusstation-24135 And no, it's not being added to the public listings. It's a home first, not a house, or a public space.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Etched said:

I'm not sure what their post count has to do with askin a question? Because he and I and many others has less than twenty posts. Does that make us less relevant? You preach of bullying and you make comments like that... Which in my eyes is bullying. Good job. 

Couldn't agree more.  Sadly, the game is full of elitists who are doing more harm than good and driving more and more people away with their intolerant attitudes and their flagrant bullying. 

As to the topic, I also don't see how bases are less relevant than before.  Removing prestige from the whole thing was a great change in my humble opinion.  They're a creative outlet for some.  I wouldn't say that makes them irrelevant.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Community Rep

I'm honestly happy to see people with low post counts contributing! I feel like the forums are not visited by many people who'd benefit.  But, I haven't been influenced by seeing posts of "trolls" from such folk. At any rate, even tho I don't think bases are irrelevant,  I feel it's clearly a fair question from their pov. I'm actually pretty happy that some feel that they get by just fine without bases; for me, even without the ability to create worlds for my characters and others, and for the creative outlet, bases are way too convenient, I get all my services in one spot and I can teleport to it immediately from anywhere. (Well, all but AH, but it's just a step thru the entry to get to that, and pop, back in the base). Unfortunately, there are far more requests to build bases than our base building population can keep up with, so, seeing people say, "Eh, I can live without" eases the tension, to me! I really hate seeing people go without what I consider to be essential equipment. 🙂

I hope to see a lot of low post count posters, to me, that means the game is growing! New people welcome!! And if you're new and you don't know what bases can be...come see me.

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I don't think your OP was trolling or inflammatory.  I rarely use bases myself, so I'd be all for making them more meaningful, provided normal QoL options aren't taken away in the process, (such as the long range teleporter).  What is the game truly lacking that SG bases could provide?  Maybe a hologram generator that allows you to complete "FedEx missions" from your base?  *** shrugs ***

14 hours ago, Romeyn said:

I ask an honest question and its inflammatory?

The question you asked - like many I have seen from low count posters of late - appears to be a "drama" post.

Something that some players do in RPG groups just to try to start some kind of drama.

They kind of throw something out, toss a match on it, and walk away. 

I've seen it done repeatedly. This seemed to be that sort of behavior.

with long range teleporter there is no need to join/use a SG to access other zones

Untrue. I teleport the a supergroup base all the time even though I have long range teleport. I save LRT for when I need it.

SG teleport and SG portal are easy ways to get to a base (and they quickly recharge) so that I can get where I need to go and pick up supplies along the way.

with personal vault there is no need to use the vault reserve on the maps or in the bases

I haven't put a vault in a base or used one since I learned about the personal vault.

One more enhancement storage unit in a base instead works for me.

I don't generally put insp storage in a base either, though putting team insps in storage can be helpful

Base storage is the only thing not accessible outside of your SGs base and with the price of salvage being as it is (or the built enhancements), thats no draw for most (I have storage racks and I barely use them, as its less of a hassle to just buy what I need)

As I mentioned above, enhancement storage.

I generally only have 1 or 2 salvage storage in a base. Those tend to be for holiday items; masks and candy canes  ...  though I do put some catalysts and unslotters in the salvage storage of some bases.

With multiple characters on all servers (and tending to make more) and sg mates, it makes sense to have the staple (ones most characters would slot) enhancements in storage. My bases are enhancement storage heavy.

Other reasons bases are not irrelevant

As others have pointed out, you can put trainers in bases.

You can put vendors in bases that will sell you SO enhancements and inspirations.

You can put tailors in bases.

You can put buff machines in bases.

You can put a med device in bases so falling can send  you there to get what gear you need to continue  your mission/activities.

Heck, you can even make them look cool and roleplay in them.

My character must have used sg teleport or sg portal to go to a base some 5-6 times in the last 3 hours.

In no way do I see bases to be irrelevant.

Edited by UltraAlt

1 hour ago, Dacy said:

New people welcome!!

I agree.

Poster joined April 2019.

12 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I agree.

Poster joined April 2019.

I rarely see people from the forums in game, and there are definitely players who only use the forums when they HAVE TO. I NEVER used the forums on Live. I had my own group from another game that came out a few years earlier, and some of us are still there. On June 26th, my account on that forum will be 20 years old. So of course I never needed to use the forums on Live, I already had forums. 

Nowadays we also have Discord. Notice how certain things are posted in the Homecoming Discord that do not make it to these forums here? Do you read the chat in game? If you did, you would know that all the major Super Groups have their own Discords. 

We could gatekeep the forums, and give players even more reason to never visit. I mean, the REAL point of the forums is to have an account that allows you to connect to the game, right? Every single player in game has a forum account, but only a fraction of us use it for more than a door pass. 

But I am in favor of keeping the forums as a glorified door pass, and little more. It would be more peaceful. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:45 AM, Arc-Mage said:

Bases are totally relevant and to some an entirely other game

Erm... I believe that's the point. The OP seems to be stating that the Supergroup Base minigame isn't very relevant to the main game.

• Community Rep
47 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Erm... I believe that's the point. The OP seems to be stating that the Supergroup Base minigame isn't very relevant to the main game.

Bases are not necessary to play the game. Bases, like it was pointed out earlier, are an extra like costuming, to flesh out a character or concept. Bases are no more necessary than all of the zone teleporters, mission transports, different ways to fly, run, jump, cosmetic pets...all the little QOL things we like to have. They are convenient. They make gaming easier. They pair nicely with particular concepts and passions. Relevancy is all in how you process things, it's very individual. However, what may not be relevant to some may be indispensable to others. And what you say isn't relevant to the main game, I'm sure is true for you, but I can name a ton of people for whom there is no game without the bases. Batman has his Batcave. Superman has the Fortress of Solitude. The Teen Titans have Titan Tower. (Hmm, DC is much more base oriented than Marvel...) So is it strictly necessary to fight bad guys? No. Is it necessary for some people's character concepts? Yes.  And, bases can be, as Arc-Mage said, a whole other world even past that.

Interesting discussion.

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:03 AM, Romeyn said:

I must disagree. Just because you don’t need a base doesn’t make it “not relevant.” Not everyone has the time or inclination to invest in a base. Having other options outside the base builder is just that, another option. 

This train of thought could easily be flipped around. The Personal Vault is not relevant because you can do the same thing in bases. etc etc etc

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.