How to make bases relevant?

Romeyn

The thing about bases is that they are relevant to play in this game, especially in regards to finding the right space for the right scene, or setting in mind. Sometimes, you gotta build it for yourself to really understand and appreciate the length of time, and effort that building a base of any size can really take, and the amount of creative problem solving, good gods I could go on for days about that. Many of the bases here on this game can be described as different parts of the city, locations and venues, and for some, even a part of their story, or more simply put, a home away from home. A base can be used for many many many different purposes, and that changes from player to player. It's relevant in a big way, especially if you want a space for yourself to escape the wild and crazy open world experiences for a while and simply breath in a space you made for yourself, for your specific needs. I have *several* bases that I've built for collectives of characters my husband and I both play, but I have a few that are intended for settings, living spaces, homes. Not everyone plays by the same rules relatively, but groups do form up and use their own mutual rules to impose in the spaces they create and inhabit. That's a given many games that have a lot of players gathering together over mutual interests.

Some groups use die systems and sheets like D&D.

Some use die systems only and play by good-faith rules.

Others tend to go willynilly with how they play, and some of these bases reflect that creative aspect we all have.

So to end this on a positive note, yes, bases are relevant, to the builder, to those that enjoy those bases, and to those that use them actively for their own purposes and reasons.

But you do not have to use or make use of them if you don't want to. No one is forcing that into your hands.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

On 1/4/2023 at 12:30 AM, UltraAlt said:

The question you asked - like many I have seen from low count posters of late - appears to be a "drama" post.

Something that some players do in RPG groups just to try to start some kind of drama.

They kind of throw something out, toss a match on it, and walk away. 

I've seen it done repeatedly. This seemed to be that sort of behavior.

Instead of apologizing for profiling someone, you double down on it.  Nice. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later

Hey guys, I mostly solo & need to play the AH to equip new toons & whatnot.

I'd love to be able to just create a pure banker/trader 'hero' and park him in my SG, so he can play the martket, buy/craft/sell, etc.

BUT, the AH is not available from inside the SG base, as far as I've been able to ascertain. So, I generally need to park a toon in Atlas Hall or somewhere closer to jump between them. I guess I don't really need a day job if I'm just making a level 1 trading character, so he can just park outside the SG base entrance...? And I guess I've just answered my own question lol! 

Game over man, game over!

8 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

I'd love to be able to just create a pure banker/trader 'hero' and park him in my SG, so he can play the martket, buy/craft/sell, etc.

BUT, the AH is not available from inside the SG base, as far as I've been able to ascertain. So, I generally need to park a toon in Atlas Hall or somewhere closer to jump between them. I guess I don't really need a day job if I'm just making a level 1 trading character, so he can just park outside the SG base entrance...? And I guess I've just answered my own question lol! 

Bases are, at this point, completely a solo game.
They can be publicly useful to the community in general.

But control of said base is a solitary thing.

They're essentially Fibber McGee's Closet (points for those who get the reference!) with a nice interface.

• Haha 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

9 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Yeah, parking a marketing alt at an SG portal is really the only avenue for that. I can't provide a link, but I want to say the reason that AH access isn't activated in bases was explained as given the way bases work and load, the game would have to load the entire auction house into that separate instance. It would also need to do that every time someone entered the base, which would become this a massive spiral drawing more and more resources until the base would become unable to even be loaded into at all and the server shard would crash. Same reason we don't have AE access in bases, or AH/AE in instanced missions for that matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

1 minute ago, El D said:

Yeah, parking a marketing alt at an SG portal is really the only avenue for that. I can't provide a link, but I want to say the reason that AH access isn't activated in bases was explained as given the way bases work and load, the game would have to load the entire auction house into that separate instance. It would also need to do that every time someone entered the base, which would become this a massive spiral drawing more and more resources until the base would become unable to even be loaded into at all and the server shard would crash. Same reason we don't have AE access in bases, or AH/AE in instanced missions for that matter.

Bingo!

• Thanks 1

Yeah I just realised, if you don't need to use/access the shared storage all the time, you could just park the trade toon at a University workbench, as I think AH access works inside Unis. If so, I guess the best Uni would be the one closest to a SG base portal...which would be...?

Edited by Nostromo21

Game over man, game over!

4 hours ago, EmperorSteele said:

Cap au Diable, the base portal is in the university courtyard.

Maybe Croatoa as well, but I l'm not 100% sure offhand.

Yep, Croatoa, Founders, and Cap all have the base portal right outside the university

Pocket D and the Worktables in the store of the winter zone have a portal close by as well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

Try to play "OG" City of Heroes (Ouro-Dev server at home) that's not got the Homecoming QoL tweaks including travel and how bases tie in to that.  They are so not irrelevant.  Plus yes those that see it as a mii-game, I have been in some fabulous creations.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 4 weeks later

Bases are as relevant as you want them to be. Personally I use my home base all the time because its way more convenient to me to sell my excess vendor junk there, change my costume, buy my merits, craft my IOs or even portal around when LRT is on cooldown. But then, I built that base to be relevant and useful to me, because I planned on using it. If you find using personal crafting tables or university crafting tables or Icon/Facemakers or LRT to meet your needs, then no, maybe bases aren't going to be relevant to you. And that's fine, as the game isn't going to be played the same by all people, and some people will find some aspects of it more important than others.

Frankly I find Atlas Park irrelevant, I never go there, but that doesn't mean that its irrelevant to the games population as a whole.

• 2 weeks later
On 1/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, Romeyn said:

Seems we are fighting QoL improvements as bases become less relevant, how can we change this? 

If bases are irrelevant, then WOW I'm spending too much time on the wrong thing! 😛

Edited by El Furioso
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, El Furioso said:

If bases are irrelevant, then WOW I'm spending too much time on the wrong thing! 😛

Hopefully people who think bases aren't relevant aren't still trying to get crafting badges in AE....

• Haha 2