Renfield

Would need to see more.  Not quite buying Nick Cage as Dracula, the supporting characters seem a bit flat, and Renfield himself seems a bit too well-adjusted, even after 125 years of coming to terms with his "new normal."  But all that could change with the next trailer.

TSDR - Tim Burton's "Batman," or Des McAnuff's "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle"?  Could go either way.

Why does this remind me so much of Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter? That movie should have been terrible but it both was and wasn't.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I just saw this trailer myself elsewhere.  Well, it's a good trailer, but they can't be trusted ha ha, so who knows?  I do have my interest piqued though, so it worked on that level.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

It felt very Shaun Of The Dead to me - comedy, sure, but also horror, played by horror rules

And I have no idea if Nic can pull it off either, but it'll be a gloriously Nic performance either way.

If anything's bothering me, they're going a little heavy on the comic book tones of the lighting, but it'll definitely have its own tone and style.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

After watching Matchstick Men in the theater, a movie which was promoted as a comedy, I've sworn off ever watching any Nicholas Cage movies ever again.

Even if they're free. 

I remember clearly that the large audience in attendance at the movie collectively laughed twice.

In 2 hours.

And the laughs were more "laugh-cringe" than "LMAO" laughs.

I'll also never believe a national movie critic again, because that's the reason I chose that movie in the first place.

Edited by Mopery
  • Like 1

What, me worry?

9 hours ago, Mopery said:

I've sworn off ever watching any Nicholas Cage movies ever again

That seems like depriving yourself of... a lot... of movies. Though I don't think I'm ever going to work through his collection of the last couple of years - he's been working like a man possessed. Some of it's fun (Mandy, Colour Out Of Space, and silly but entertaining FNAF-ripoff Willy's Wonderland), some of it...

...well, if anyone can tell me how in the name of rum'n'raisin fudge this thing got greenlighted, it would be relevant to my interests.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 8 months later
On 1/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, Mopery said:

I've never been a fan of self-flagellation, though.

Me either. I have people to do that for me.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:44 AM, baarsofia4 said:

Nicholas Cage has a diverse filmography

...this is the understatement of the decade...

On 10/5/2023 at 8:44 AM, baarsofia4 said:

If you've sworn off Nicholas Cage movies, that's your personal choice, and there are plenty of other talented actors and genres to explore in the world of cinema. It's all about finding what entertains and resonates with you personally.

Yup. Also, it's worth looking at each movie in its own right, not just because actor X is or isn't in it.

I mean, "Keanu Reeves, action hero" still has the inner 90s' me going "...whoa...", but after Speed, that happened, and now we have Ted Logan as a franchise-making dark avenger dude. 

I can't imagine why or how Cage maintains his phenomenal work rate - or how stir crazy he must have been going in this strike. But he's clearly got to that Bob De Niro era in an actor's life where they've gone "screw it, let's do everything". Cage is just gutted he missed out to Bob on that Stardust role... 

I'm getting a vibe somewhere between Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing and Nick Cage's own The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  Both I considered not deep, but worth the price of popcorn, extra butter.  And hey, it's got Nicholas Hoult, himself experienced with quirky monster movies (Warm Bodies).

• 3 weeks later
On 1/10/2023 at 1:39 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...well, if anyone can tell me how in the name of rum'n'raisin fudge this thing got greenlighted, it would be relevant to my interests.

I can't tell you the backstory, but what I can tell you is that is a movie that isn't actually about what it looks like it is about nor is it actually about the plot points that happen along the way. There's a depth underneath the madness that I did not expect to find. I went into it expecting a post-apocalyptic surrealist fever dream and nothing more. Turns out I got that and quite a bit more. It takes a while to get there, but once there the trip becomes worth taking.

• Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Saw it this weekend. I liked it. It was fun to watch.

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Watched it recently.  Funny. 

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

16 minutes ago, Techwright said:

So Nicholas Hoult has one funny zombie movie and one funny vampire movie.  What's next?  Mummy, werewolf, or lagoon creature?

He could be the New Universal Monsterverse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

• 1 month later

Just saw this one. I don't know if I've enjoyed a movie more in the last couple of years. And Cage gives a surprisingly good Dracula performance. It wasn't what I was expecting at all, in a very good way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Small piece of casting news: clearly we weren't the only ones impressed by Nic Hoult, as Gunn has just officially cast him in Superman: Legacy...

...as Lex?

Yeah. Yeah, I could see that. Especially as Lex isn't the primary antagonist: that's The Engineer (think T3's Terminator X model.)