Blue & Red

Why are all the archetypes available to red and blue side?

I loved the Corruptor, Brute and Stalker playstyles so much I choose to play redside even though I would normally play the hero when given a choice. Furthermore, it seems this contributes to an overwhelmingly blueside heavy population. Torchbearer currently has 415/55...I would like to play red side and I think others would too. I would just like to play with someone.

I'll still play the heck out of this game I just felt like flavor was lost by "millennialing" the game.

Archetypes have been able to switch sides since Issue 18 in 2010, and all Archetypes have been available to start as either a Hero or Villain at creation since Issue 21 in 2011. This wasn't a SCoRE change.

The introduction of Praetoria in Going Rogue made this necessary. If the Villain ATs always became evil and the Hero ATs always became good, the entire point of Praetoria would've been lost.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

I could never emotionally justify rolling a Heroic Corruptor... as much as I might be tempted to... it would feel... wrong.

Corruptors are basically Offenders (Defenders who attack more than buff), just codified and official.

My current favorite character is Red huntress, an Archery / Trick Arrow Corruptor.  And she's blueside, all the way.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I could never emotionally justify rolling a Heroic Corruptor... as much as I might be tempted to... it would feel... wrong.

For some reason, the original CoV archtypes need to start on the red side for me.. and same for CoH archtypes on blue. I don't have a problem if they switch sides, but I just have to have them start in their "proper" zones.

I kinda feel the same way,  in that the AT should start on their own "sides" but really with Null the Gull and the like what died it matter.

Use the AT that best fits your character concept.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I think the names themselves PK pointed out have an effect on the user... at least they do on me.

Corrs and Doms especially. I am a little more flexible with the rest, though it depends on the specific pets the MM choses. A stalker is just a spy/ninja/ghost.

I'm really surprised by just how dark so many folks on the Blue Side go. Vanilla Red Side has so much more developed and interesting content (not the big stuff, but that's largely shared with both sides anyway), especially if you want to be grey-to-black with red stripes. Why play a hero if you aren't heroic? It's so weird seeing all these folks in CoT costumes and burning red eyes, toting around Demons and generally being menacing in Atlas Park.

Obviously they like the Blue Side population and the content... and sometimes I think Red Side just gets depressing visually with how dark everything is (I actually change my gamma when I play Red Side).

When I play villains it is almost always RPed in my head that I'm undercover or possessed/cursed (Scirocco). Because being evil just isn't fun for me. But I doubt I'll have more than one character Red Side. It just ain't me.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

When I play villains it is almost always RPed in my head that I'm undercover or possessed/cursed (Scirocco). Because being evil just isn't fun for me. But I doubt I'll have more than one character Red Side. It just ain't me.

I don't find most of the red side to be truly evil... most of it is just mean and you're beating up other Villain factions. Doc Buzzsaw is evil and there's one contact in Grandville that, after doing his arc, I wanted to take a Silkwood shower to get the evil feeling off me. But that's really the only "evil" arcs I remember.

I always thought AT renames would've been a good idea, back then, just to give them less "villain-themed" names - since the blue-side ATs already had neutral names.

Something like...

Brute -> Brawler

Stalker -> Striker

Dominator -> Suppressor

Corruptor -> Guardian

Mastermind -> Commander

Could still be done in this version of the game, except that it'd make a heap of confusion for people who'd try to look up anything on old wiki websites...

Even back on Live, before Going Rogue, the Redside population was far, far lower than the Blueside population. When they made the "red" ATs available on Blueside, it did cause a drop in Redside players, but only a very small one. People just don't like Redside, with good reason... Even with exclusive ATs to try and tempt people the vast majority will refuse to go to Redside.

Too many of the missions were too dark for me to love the stories.  I like anti-villains, archvillains, and/or camp; most of the early missions are about lackeying to bad people to screw over some random third party.  There's only so many times you can run Burke... and if you're going to skip the story anyway, might as well go blueside.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Too many of the missions were too dark for me to love the stories.  I like anti-villains, archvillains, and/or camp; most of the early missions are about lackeying to bad people to screw over some random third party.  There's only so many times you can run Burke... and if you're going to skip the story anyway, might as well go blueside.

Not just that, but I never got a sense that my characters were becoming supervillains -- you started reside as a legbreaker for small-time thugs, and worked your way up to being a legbreaker for higher-ranked thugs, then to being a legbreaker for small-time villains, on up the chain until you became a legbreaker for Lord Recluse and his lieutenants. The operative aspect being that you were always a henchman, dancing to someone else's tune -- it was only in the newspaper missions that you had any sense of doing jobs for your own benefit.

Issue with redaide is that you unfortunately dont have agency that real... well real as in "existing in media"... villains have.

You cant be the big bad

You cant have an effect on the world

You cant mess with heroes directly

It's all sort of a ruse, where on blueside it is easier to play reactively as a hero.