Make Serum not a joke

So, this is technically a thread asking for a buff to a Mastermind Set of all things but hear me out!

Serum is the signature power of the Mercenaries/ primary for Masterminds,  much like how Thugs get Gang War and Necro gets Soul Extraction. Serum gives just 1 of your pets a 52.5% damage reduction, mez protection, 100% recovery rate, and 7.5% damage and tohit boost for 1 minute, before crashing the pet's endurance and recovery for 20 sec. This then has a 16 minute recharge.

As is, it is essentially just a power to be used on the Commando only and even then it is kind of weird. Your commando gets very tough and does not run out of endurance as much for a minute... before becoming useless for 20 sec... like once a mission. While nice, the frequency and duration just kill the power.

Keeping with the theme of a "super soldier serum", and noting that Mercs are on the lower end of MM primaries, how about just shifting the stats around to make this like a 3rd pet upgrade with the old school style?

Reduce the recharge to say 4 minutes and increase the duration to either make it perma, or maybe even something super long like 10 minutes. Keep it single target but allow you to over time juice up your whole squad. It could be faster recharge but a hefty endurance cost as well to keep it something that you dont just toss out to all the mercs all the time, but still allow you to have a fully evil super-squad.

Reduce the damage resist from >50% to all but psy down to say 15% to all, including psy, and similarly reduce the mez protections. Decrease the recovery boost to something like 25%. Increase the damage and tohit to 15% as well. Maybe add in +movement speed.

In essence, treat serum like a great big stat boost to your minion as if it is a special ST pet upgrade that is worth speccing into and using often. Itd be much better than the currently questionable,  essentially commando-only power they have now!

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if I agree with the suggested changes, but I do agree with the view that Serum is currently a problem. It's far worse than other comparable powers, and it's not in one of the top sets that would be fine even with an underperforming unique-style power.

Whether it's made into an AoE temporary buff for all henchmen, or into a perma-able buff for a single one, it should become more useful.

Personally, Serum is SO bad I'd say screw the Cottage Rule on it, change it to something else.

My personal preference would be to change it to "Call Artillery Strike"

You drop a location targeted AoE field that counts down a few seconds and then you have say 15 to 30 seconds worth of moderate to high damage explosions in that area that do knockdown. Think of it as being like Earthquake with damage.

Also it'd technically be a summon, so it would accept Pet Sets, and therefore the Aura IOs.

Would help with Mercs' crap damage, and give you an extra CC/mitigation tool in the process.

I think Serum could benefit from an effect similar to Fortify Pack in Beast Mastery, where just having the power grants all the Mercs some passive bonus in addition to the effects from using it. Maybe having Serum grants all Mercs a small amount of +Damage/+ToHit/+Resistance(All but Psi)/+Recovery, and then as part of the crash (which I would also suggest reducing), whichever Merc you used Serum on is exempt from this passive buff for 20 seconds.

That would help Mercs overall, in addition to making Serum worth taking, without approaching cottage rule-level changes.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

Personally, Serum is SO bad I'd say screw the Cottage Rule on it, change it to something else.

My personal preference would be to change it to "Call Artillery Strike"

You drop a location targeted AoE field that counts down a few seconds and then you have say 15 to 30 seconds worth of moderate to high damage explosions in that area that do knockdown. Think of it as being like Earthquake with damage.

Also it'd technically be a summon, so it would accept Pet Sets, and therefore the Aura IOs.

Would help with Mercs' crap damage, and give you an extra CC/mitigation tool in the process.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Just replace it with a nuke.

Or, replace it with a pet dependent effect. Call in Reinforcements.

Used on soldiers it calls in an air strike on the pet's target. Cluster bombing an area with lower damage per hit but multiple hits and knockdown.

Used on the medic it calls in a triage spot that massively increases health and endurance regeneration for its duration.

Used on spec ops it summons 3 or 4 more spec ops for a short duration who will spam their grenades and snipes.

Used on the commando it calls in a tactical nuke strike on the pet's target. A single massive damage AoE explosion with knockback and radiation debuff aftereffects.

So, this is technically a thread asking for a buff to a Mastermind Set of all things but hear me out!

Serum is the signature power of the Mercenaries/ primary for Masterminds,  much like how Thugs get Gang War and Necro gets Soul Extraction. Serum gives just 1 of your pets a 52.5% damage reduction, mez protection, 100% recovery rate, and 7.5% damage and tohit boost for 1 minute, before crashing the pet's endurance and recovery for 20 sec. This then has a 16 minute recharge.

As is, it is essentially just a power to be used on the Commando only and even then it is kind of weird. Your commando gets very tough and does not run out of endurance as much for a minute... before becoming useless for 20 sec... like once a mission. While nice, the frequency and duration just kill the power.

Keeping with the theme of a "super soldier serum", and noting that Mercs are on the lower end of MM primaries, how about just shifting the stats around to make this like a 3rd pet upgrade with the old school style?

Reduce the recharge to say 4 minutes and increase the duration to either make it perma, or maybe even something super long like 10 minutes. Keep it single target but allow you to over time juice up your whole squad. It could be faster recharge but a hefty endurance cost as well to keep it something that you dont just toss out to all the mercs all the time, but still allow you to have a fully evil super-squad.

Reduce the damage resist from >50% to all but psy down to say 15% to all, including psy, and similarly reduce the mez protections. Decrease the recovery boost to something like 25%. Increase the damage and tohit to 15% as well. Maybe add in +movement speed.

In essence, treat serum like a great big stat boost to your minion as if it is a special ST pet upgrade that is worth speccing into and using often. Itd be much better than the currently questionable,  essentially commando-only power they have now!

Thoughts?

I personally think serum and other mastermind powers of this bracket need to be replaced with other pet powers like gangwar and the necro ghost. The reason being is having at least 4 pet powers for slotting.  It almost feels power sets with 4 pets have a huge advantage over those without it.

Personally, I don't see a reason to throw out the cottage rule. Just take a note from Beast Mastery. Have it give a passive +res all in addition to its current state. You would then have the option of taking one of the resistance sets and make the mercs stupid tough, as opposed to most MM sets that are so heavily defense based.

Personally, I favor that because Mercs/elite soldiers are supposed to be tough bastards who can slog through the worst of it and keep shooting.

Thoughts?

I personally think serum and other mastermind powers of this bracket need to be replaced with other pet powers like gangwar and the necro ghost. The reason being is having at least 4 pet powers for slotting.  It almost feels power sets with 4 pets have a huge advantage over those without it.

Yeah, Thugs/Demons/Necro definitely have an advantage from that.

There's really no need to violate the cottage rule on this power. Just reduce the recharge to something sane and take out the end crash. Maybe make its recharge unenhanceable like Strength of Will and it'd be a fine power.

Honestly I think the existence of the Aura IOs pretty much creates a need to change all the MM primaries that don't have an "extra pet" in this power slot. Otherwise Thugs, Demons, and Necro overshadow all the others.

If we *must* keep to the Cottage Rule (And frankly I really don't think we need to with powers this bad--and yes, Serum is AWFUL in it's current state) then you just make it a choose-a-power, which the game already supports. Leave Serum for the few people who might actually want it, and put in a proper pet power for the sane people. Whether it be an artillery strike or something else, as long as it takes Pet Sets.

There's really no need to violate the cottage rule on this power. Just reduce the recharge to something sane and take out the end crash. Maybe make its recharge unenhanceable like Strength of Will and it'd be a fine power.

Honestly I think the existence of the Aura IOs pretty much creates a need to change all the MM primaries that don't have an "extra pet" in this power slot. Otherwise Thugs, Demons, and Necro overshadow all the others.

If we *must* keep to the Cottage Rule (And frankly I really don't think we need to with powers this bad--and yes, Serum is AWFUL in it's current state) then you just make it a choose-a-power, which the game already supports. Leave Serum for the few people who might actually want it, and put in a proper pet power for the sane people. Whether it be an artillery strike or something else, as long as it takes Pet Sets.

Power sets are not balanced around IO sets.

And really, Serum is not that bad. It sucks because it has atrocious uptime and a painful crash, and those issues can be easily fixed.

And really, Serum is not that bad. It sucks because it has atrocious uptime and a painful crash, and those issues can be easily fixed.

Theyre not.... but after *so many years* it is a valid critique. Especially for the MM uniques.

But besides that can of worms, I agree that the recharge, uptime and crash make it horrendous. That said I feel that it should be able to be used on multiple mercs and not just the commando, as if it were on just 1 target at a time then why wouldn't it always be him?

Theyre not.... but after *so many years* it is a valid critique. Especially for the MM uniques.

But besides that can of worms, I agree that the recharge, uptime and crash make it horrendous. That said I feel that it should be able to be used on multiple mercs and not just the commando, as if it were on just 1 target at a time then why wouldn't it always be him?

It's a valid critique of the individual power and the set as a whole, but when petitioning for a change you pretty much have to disregard it.

It's a valid critique of the individual power and the set as a whole, but when petitioning for a change you pretty much have to disregard [iO sets].

That was never entirely true, and I think is less so now.  Hilarious example I noticed yesterday: Radiation Armor on Tankers has pretty meh baseline S/L resistance, even triple-slotted with IOs.  It's better with Tough, but still only in the 70s.  However, with both Tanker sets slotted and the proc active, it hits 90.00001 S/L resist.

I'm pretty sure that behavior isn't an accident here.  But even on Live, Synapse and Castle mentioned being conscious of things like permahasten when balancing sets.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

It's a valid critique of the individual power and the set as a whole, but when petitioning for a change you pretty much have to disregard [iO sets].

That was never entirely true, and I think is less so now.  Hilarious example I noticed yesterday: Radiation Armor on Tankers has pretty meh baseline S/L resistance, even triple-slotted with IOs.  It's better with Tough, but still only in the 70s.  However, with both Tanker sets slotted and the proc active, it hits 90.00001 S/L resist.

I'm pretty sure that behavior isn't an accident here.  But even on Live, Synapse and Castle mentioned being conscious of things like permahasten when balancing sets.

Being aware of things like perma-Hasten is one thing, but if we start balancing sets with IOs in mind, there can be only one result: nerfs, and tons of nerfs. For example, Permadom is incredibly powerful, there's no way it could be left alone. Softcap defense? Letting players hit in excess of 90% damage mitigation? That's where we were in issue 4, and we all know what that led to.

It's a valid critique of the individual power and the set as a whole, but when petitioning for a change you pretty much have to disregard it.

Except when my proposal is demonstrably within the abilities of the admins (See Super Reflexes on Sentinels for evidence), and doesn't take anything away from anyone, since the new replacement power would be optional.

Except when my proposal is demonstrably within the abilities of the admins (See Super Reflexes on Sentinels for evidence), and doesn't take anything away from anyone, since the new replacement power would be optional.

Whether it's technically possible is irrelevant, and no one said it was impossible. If you change one power solely to enable exploiting of set bonuses you're going against a cornerstone philosophy the game is built on. There is no reason Serum has to be replaced.

Whether it's technically possible is irrelevant, and no one said it was impossible. If you change one power solely to enable exploiting of set bonuses you're going against a cornerstone philosophy the game is built on. There is no reason Serum has to be replaced.

I think you need your reading comprehension upgraded. No replacement needed. Player can choose Serum still.

Either that or you don't actually understand the Cottage Rule.

I don't really think that Serum needs replacing with other powers or with options for other powers. It's a valid power concept for the set, and it could be a good power. If it had stats exactly like Painbringer, I don't think anyone would be complaining. So it's not really a problem because of the concept or what it does, it's a problem because of its statistics which are laughably bad.

So, fix the stats on it, maybe change the kind of buffing that it does, maybe make it an AoE, and it could be a good power. I think that we sometimes get carried away with new ideas and say "wouldn't it be great if we had THIS...", but it's easier for the devs and for balance to change a power's statistics than what the power does.

I think you need your reading comprehension upgraded. No replacement needed. Player can choose Serum still.

Either that or you don't actually understand the Cottage Rule.

You're not fooling anybody. The Cottage Rule isn't the cornerstone philosophy being violated by your suggestion, it's the balancing of sets around IOs that is. You just want a power that can accept pet IOs to use as a mule for the unique enhancements. Saying, "Oh, but Serum's still there for anyone who wants it, it's not being replaced," is a distinction without a difference; just being able to slot those IOs in some alternate power, even if it was as useless as Serum, makes it no choice at all which to pick.

Counter-proposal:

Here is a link to Serum for its stats and effects.

Here is a link to Tactical Upgrade for its stats and effects ... note the arrangement of Grant Power and the conditionals attendant upon those granted powers.

What if Serum were changed from being a Mastermind buffs ONE of their Mercenaries for 60s every 1000s (for a stupidly low 6% uptime and a crash after 60s) ... to instead being retooled as a Grant Power (to Medic) type of Click power.  The idea is that the Mastermind hands over a supply of Serum drugs to the Medic, who will then be able to dispense that Serum to anyone on the team who does not have a Serum buff on them.

Modify Serum's effects to be as follows (when done as a Grant Power to a Medic that does not stack and will not be recast on a $Target while the buff is in effect):

• Endurance Cost to cast by Medic: 3
  • +20% Res(All but Psionic) for 60s
  • +20% Recovery for 60s
  • -10 Knockup, Knockback for 60s
  • -10 Repel for 60s
  • +1000% Res(Knockup, Knockback, Repel) for 60s
  • -12.975 Stunned, Held, Sleep, Immobilized for 60s
  • +7.5% ToHit for 60s
  • +7.5% Dmg(Smashing, Lethal, Fire) for 60s

Serum has a 1.3 second cast time.  Make the Grant Power to Medic version use this 1.3 second animation and give the Grant Power to Medic version an 8.7 second recharge ... which means that the Medic can cast Serum 6 times within 60 seconds (1.3+8.7=10*6=60) which is enough to "perma" Serum on 6 teammates EXCEPT the Medic (because the Grant Power does not allow casting on self, only on others), which would then be all of the Mercs plus the Mastermind while soloing.  However, when in team/league situations, who gets the Serum buff would tend to get "spread around" the group, rather than just confined to the Mastermind+Pets only, but it would still be no more than 6 individuals per minute who are getting buffed ... and because the Merc AI is doing the targeting, the Mastermind wouldn't be in a position to pick WHO gets buffed at any particular instant.

The result remains a Click power (sort of) that requires a Medic to maintain it and which is a power "authorized" by the Mastermind but not directly controlled by the Mastermind commanding the Mercs.  It will also cost the Medic 18 endurance per minute to keep 6 allies per minute buffed with Serum.

Reset the recharge on the Serum power used by the Mastermind to be 600 seconds ... such that if the Medic faceplants your Mastermind can't necessarily have a fresh supply of Serum to dispense to the Medic "instantly" for the Grant Power handoff ... and call it a day.  This then yields a motivation/desire on the part of the Mastermind to "protect the Medic" in order to keep the Grant Power of Serum from the Medic "rolling over" for the Mastermind (and friends).

How's that grab ya?

Feel free to tinker with the stats in the framework I've provided if it sounds overpowered.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

While I do like the idea of calling artillery and the like, what if Serum was made more defensive?

Change the Recovery boost for Regeneration and/or more Resistance, and give the subject a taunt aura, with Tanker punchvoking for the duration.

It could then serve as emergency tanking, until it wears off.

Counter-proposal:

Here is a link to Serum for its stats and effects.

Here is a link to Tactical Upgrade for its stats and effects ... note the arrangement of Grant Power and the conditionals attendant upon those granted powers.

What if Serum were changed from being a Mastermind buffs ONE of their Mercenaries for 60s every 1000s (for a stupidly low 6% uptime and a crash after 60s) ... to instead being retooled as a Grant Power (to Medic) type of Click power.  The idea is that the Mastermind hands over a supply of Serum drugs to the Medic, who will then be able to dispense that Serum to anyone on the team who does not have a Serum buff on them.

Modify Serum's effects to be as follows (when done as a Grant Power to a Medic that does not stack and will not be recast on a $Target while the buff is in effect):

• Endurance Cost to cast by Medic: 3
  • +20% Res(All but Psionic) for 60s
  • +20% Recovery for 60s
  • -10 Knockup, Knockback for 60s
  • -10 Repel for 60s
  • +1000% Res(Knockup, Knockback, Repel) for 60s
  • -12.975 Stunned, Held, Sleep, Immobilized for 60s
  • +7.5% ToHit for 60s
  • +7.5% Dmg(Smashing, Lethal, Fire) for 60s

Serum has a 1.3 second cast time.  Make the Grant Power to Medic version use this 1.3 second animation and give the Grant Power to Medic version an 8.7 second recharge ... which means that the Medic can cast Serum 6 times within 60 seconds (1.3+8.7=10*6=60) which is enough to "perma" Serum on 6 teammates EXCEPT the Medic (because the Grant Power does not allow casting on self, only on others), which would then be all of the Mercs plus the Mastermind while soloing.  However, when in team/league situations, who gets the Serum buff would tend to get "spread around" the group, rather than just confined to the Mastermind+Pets only, but it would still be no more than 6 individuals per minute who are getting buffed ... and because the Merc AI is doing the targeting, the Mastermind wouldn't be in a position to pick WHO gets buffed at any particular instant.

The result remains a Click power (sort of) that requires a Medic to maintain it and which is a power "authorized" by the Mastermind but not directly controlled by the Mastermind commanding the Mercs.  It will also cost the Medic 18 endurance per minute to keep 6 allies per minute buffed with Serum.

Reset the recharge on the Serum power used by the Mastermind to be 600 seconds ... such that if the Medic faceplants your Mastermind can't necessarily have a fresh supply of Serum to dispense to the Medic "instantly" for the Grant Power handoff ... and call it a day.  This then yields a motivation/desire on the part of the Mastermind to "protect the Medic" in order to keep the Grant Power of Serum from the Medic "rolling over" for the Mastermind (and friends).

How's that grab ya?

Feel free to tinker with the stats in the framework I've provided if it sounds overpowered.

I like this! But why not just give that version to the MM so they can spread the serum around too?