A small suggestion for additional content

Hello, so without knowing what plans are set out for continued development I had a small idea for possible additional storylines. The PVP zones are largely unused, and outside of PVPers no one really visits them. Let me be clear though, this isn't suggesting we disable the PVP portation of these zones, instead, my idea might encourage more people to go to zones, and perhaps partake in some PVP while they're there. I was thinking, why not add some additional story arcs that will expand upon the lore within each of these zones? I know it would ultimately just be a handful of story arcs being added, but I think it would at least increase traffic in these zones, and provide some fresh experiences for some people. Perhaps we could even enable a radio/paper type mission system as well?

Anyways as I said, compared to added whole new zones and enemy groups, this is might be a good way to use existing content.

Encouraging PvE'ers to go into PvP zones is a bad idea.

Well, just make it another place where there's missions and XP, but make sure there's NO extra badges, temp powers, accolades, or other things that you can't get in regular PvE. Then PvErs like myself would only have motivation to experience new content, without feeling "forced" to go into a PvP zone for "kewl loot". Problem solved.

I'm out.

Well, just make it another place where there's missions and XP, but make sure there's NO extra badges, temp powers, accolades, or other things that you can't get in regular PvE. Then PvErs like myself would only have motivation to experience new content, without feeling "forced" to go into a PvP zone for "kewl loot". Problem solved.

PvE'ers still resent being pushed towards PvP zones, no matter how gently. And if they do go there, they inevitably get ganked instantly, and then bitch for years.

The only reason this sort of thing gets suggested is that the PvPers want more people to PvP with, but the only people that actually end up being made happy by this sort of thing are the troll ganker PvPers. The PvPers who want actual competition won't enjoy it, and the PvEers certainly won't. The idea of a PvEer being enticed into a PvP zone, deciding it's not so bad, and becoming a PvPer is a pipedream.

Open PvP zones that have zone-games are and always have been a very bad idea. That's because any side can just grab more people and swamp the other side. There's no *game* in that.

Open PvP zones without games are just fine for people who just want to go crazy.

But, if the Devs want to 'save' the zone-games from being farces, then the solution is to make a clone of the PvP zones with their games and put them in the arena. Game only starts with an equal number on each side. Boom. "Balanced."

Once the game has been moved to the arena, then give players the option to set a flag in a PvP open zone of whether they want to PvP (they'd be visible to everyone) or not (be made invisible and can't attack).

PvE'ers still resent being pushed towards PvP zones, no matter how gently. And if they do go there, they inevitably get ganked instantly, and then bitch for years.

The only reason this sort of thing gets suggested is that the PvPers want more people to PvP with, but the only people that actually end up being made happy by this sort of thing are the troll ganker PvPers. The PvPers who want actual competition won't enjoy it, and the PvEers certainly won't. The idea of a PvEer being enticed into a PvP zone, deciding it's not so bad, and becoming a PvPer is a pipedream.

Except for the part about bitching for years, I agree 100%.  I want more content and story arcs, and I love the idea of reusing what's already out there, but...I won't go into a PvP zone for all the tea in Cimerora.

If we are going to create new content and story arcs, please, please don't put them in the one place I wouldn't go...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

THIS.

Written in mile-high letters of fire, fury, and thunder ... THIS, damnit!!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I would go into the PvP zones if there was a flag that set my character to non-PvP. I hate PvP (probably because I suck at it) and never liked going into those zones. I would love to explore the PvP zones, but nope.

So, like using the phasing tech to separate players between PvE and PvP within the zone?

I can't say for sure that it's doable, but it sounds like it might be. Probably want to set it with a contact in the "home base" areas of the zone so it's not as abusable.

I would go into the PvP zones if there was a flag that set my character to non-PvP. I hate PvP (probably because I suck at it) and never liked going into those zones. I would love to explore the PvP zones, but nope.

So, like using the phasing tech to separate players between PvE and PvP within the zone?

I can't say for sure that it's doable, but it sounds like it might be. Probably want to set it with a contact in the "home base" areas of the zone so it's not as abusable.

It seems like that would be a.) Confusing for PvP'ers (why can't I attack that guy?), and b.) Open for abuse...Attack someone, run back to base and then get flagged safe...or get flagged safe, taunt someone, and run back and turn off the flag and go attack the guy...

Maybe it's the lack of coffee talking but it seems like it would either be abused, or become such a large development project to implement so it can't be abused...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I like that - new content, recycle what we have, player choice - seems like a win!

It would be like selecting a location on the tram - pick:

Bloody Bay - PvP

Bloody Bay - PvE

That would be me, I went into one once, got ganked (hard, too), hated it.  I took comfort though from the fact that before I was able to get out, the regulars were sitting around complaining in broadcast that no one ever came into the PVP zones.

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I’m a PvPer, and I quite like the PvP zones. Getting a Shivan shard without being ganked by a PvPer i count as a PvP win. If I am ever attacked by a PvPer, i just immediately activate Rest so I dont have to wait very long for the experience to end.

And the zones are very nicely designed.

I wouldn’t want missions in them though.

MCM

I think the Devs did a good thing by keeping the zones separated. As for finding a reason to make (because there Are completionists) PvErs goto the zones, that's about like the badge issues we already have in the zones. Some PvPers are respectful (ok, kill me a couple times for your counts, but let me get my badge plz), but others are just trolling jerks (if you didn't wanna get hit, then why did you come?). I'm all for more content and encouraging teaming/interaction, but I'd suggest keeping the hard line between the PvP/E definitions. I think someone suggested a toggle that would turn you basically immune to PvP when entering. That sounds like a way to just piss off PvPers to me TBH.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)