Please help me understand Cloak of Fear

RCU7115

So a while back I  made a dark/dark brute. I originally did not take the Cloak of Fear power. I respected him and took Cloak of Fear.

I was looking at the combat logs and noticed that CoF keeps missing regardless of what hit % is available. If it says 72% chance to hit it's always above the 72%. I put in an acc to boost hit 95% and still it misses.

I also noticed that it says I still Terrorize my targets even if my CoF missed.

20230209_163137.jpg

Important things to be aware of with respect to Cloak of Fear:

• CoF has a HUGE accuracy penalty. Most powers have 1.0 accuracy. CoF has 0.67 accuracy. The base chance to hit is 75% against a +0 mob and 56% against a +2 mob. Ignoring tohit buffs and set bonuses, with standard 1.0 accuracy, 1 SO worth of acc will cap your chance to hit a +0 mob and 2 SOs worth will come close against +2s. CoF needs 3 SOs worth of acc to cap against +0s and against +2s only gets to 73%.
  • CoF only terrorizes minions (although it will stack with other fear powers).
  • CoF has an endurance cost of 0.52/sec.

I find the mitigation provided by CoF to be minimal relative to the slot investment required and endurance cost. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Thank you for the information.

I am still confused why it says 

Cloak of Fear missed !!

Missed Katara Catjitsu!! 

Your Cloak of Fear power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 96.40 %

Then 2 lines lower in orange it says 

You Terrorize Katara Catjitsu with you Cloak of Fear power.

The attack  roll always misses, but still causes the

terrorize effect ???

20230209_161914.jpg

Edited by RCU7115

I run cloak on my Dark Brute.  I also have that thing built for +to hit and +accuracy.  +to hit is way better.  THe Stun and Fear Auras on Dark Armor is part of an intricate dance of damage mitigation.  

On a normal armor discussion Defense > Resist > Heal.

Dark armor has no defense, and if you build it, no defense debuff resistance.  Great resists that can be built across the board.  But that puts it second tier, right?  Wrong!  

Dark Armor has non suppressing stealth.  Unless you are fighting things like Rikti or Rularuu that see through stealth you pick your fights.  You can eat hundreds of Longbow and never disturb their friends 20 feet away.  That is damage mitigation.

Dark Armor has the Fear and Stun Auras.  Combined with massive to hit debuffs on a Dark Dark and things (minions) that are in your fight zone are pretty screwed.  Then the Bosses hit you, and your Tank armor.  BaB hit you?  Click the best heal in the game, up every few seconds.  

If you are not planted in one shot Dark Armor comes roaring back.  The Cloak of Fear is part of the magic making that possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Did you happen to have tried it on a Sentinel?

I have not.  I tend to build ranged sentinels and as such find the regen and endurance granted by willpower to be most effective.   But damned me the longer I play the game the less tolerance I have for less damage than Blasters and Corruptors.   Even a Dom is crap to me…almost no AoE

Edited by Snarky
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have not.  I tend to build ranged sentinels and as such find the regen and endurance granted by willpower to be most effective.   But damned me the longer I play the game the less tolerance I have for less damage than Blasters and Corruptors.   Even a Dom is crap to me…almost no AoE

A desire for regen, endurance, and enhanced damage on sentinels....

...so you're playing Bio?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Braddack said:

i just kidnap this tread here and say, let you enlighten by the AE Monster that is an Fire / Stone / Fire Domi.

I seem to remember Fire Doms being incredible map clearers from live now that you bring it up

sigh….i tend to run dark.  Lot of tricks but little AoE for Doms

26 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I seem to remember Fire Doms being incredible map clearers from live now that you bring it up

sigh….i tend to run dark.  Lot of tricks but little AoE for Doms

Fire/psi domis used to be the FOTM for farming CoV after IOs were invented.

Also you can always recolor things like fire to look like dark black flames. Just sayin.

But yes I agree with Snarky that Dark Armor is amazing. Properly built, it's one of the best armors in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Setting aside discussion points around Cloak of Fear: is this one of the aura powers that doesn't show the successful ToHit rolls in the combat log?

I feel like there was a thread (in the Bugs subforum) a while back that was questioning streakbreaker and observed misses... and that this discrepency was attributed to auras that were (unobservedly) making ToHit rolls.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/10/2023 at 10:38 AM, RCU7115 said:

Thank you for the information.

I am still confused why it says 

Cloak of Fear missed !!

Missed Katara Catjitsu!! 

Your Cloak of Fear power had a 95.00% chance to hit, you rolled a 96.40 %

Then 2 lines lower in orange it says 

You Terrorize Katara Catjitsu with you Cloak of Fear power.

The attack  roll always misses, but still causes the

terrorize effect ???

20230209_161914.jpg

Ok because no one answered this, even though its a bit necro. You're doing your math backwards. You need to roll -under- 95 if you have at 95% chance. You rolled a 96.4, which is in the 5% miss range.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:13 PM, Velvet said:

Ok because no one answered this, even though its a bit necro. You're doing your math backwards. You need to roll -under- 95 if you have at 95% chance. You rolled a 96.4, which is in the 5% miss range.

I understand the roll under 95%.  The problem is it never has an attack roll under 95%. The attack always rolls higher regardless of what % chance to hit is. So the attack roll is ALWAYS higher.

75% hit chance rolls %76-99.

80%hit chance rolls %81-99.

85%hit chance rolls %86-99.

90% hit chance rolls %91-99.

95% hit chance rolls %96-99.

13 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

I understand the roll under 95%.  The problem is it never has an attack roll under 95%. The attack always rolls higher regardless of what % chance to hit is. So the attack roll is ALWAYS higher.

This makes me wonder if somehow hits are filtered out of the log. You might only be seeing the misses. There are a few announcements that you succeeded "You terrify with your cloak of fear". There's just no roll shown.

Edited by Velvet

Just now, Velvet said:

This makes me wonder if somehow hits are filtered out of the log. You might only be seeing the misses. Or are you not seeing any enemies get fear/terrify either?

I see the fear effects happen but the combat log says CoF attack misses. How can the fear effects happen when the attack missed ?

4 minutes ago, RCU7115 said:

I see the fear effects happen but the combat log says CoF attack misses. How can the fear effects happen when the attack missed ?

That miss was only for that one roll. It rolled again each time it announced a terrify, and succeeded. It just doesn't seem to print out the hit rolls when they succeed.

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 1

Ahh ok, maybe that's what's happening. That's what I've been trying to figure out. As I said before how could the attack miss & yet still cause the effect. 

It just felt like I was struck with a Confusion effect  this whole time, lol 😆

Thank you.

minions-confuse.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/7/2023 at 3:46 PM, RCU7115 said:

Ahh ok, maybe that's what's happening. That's what I've been trying to figure out. As I said before how could the attack miss & yet still cause the effect. 

It just felt like I was struck with a Confusion effect  this whole time, lol 😆

Thank you.

minions-confuse.gif

The combat log is trolling you on purpose.

Oh And That's A Bad Miss (podcast) - oatabm | Listen Notes

• Haha 3

On 3/7/2023 at 6:19 PM, RCU7115 said:

IIRC, Auras are one of the game effects that make ToHit checks, but ONLY show the misses in the log (either by default, or "for because").  There was a thread a long while back about the RNG in the bugs sub-forum that discussed this.

The only other combat behavior I know shows the same behavior (only logging misses) are the "aggressive mode" henchmen/pet combat logs against targetable (by the "pets", not by player) objects.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Cloak of Fear is a power that begs for an HO or a purple set that has Accuracy/Endurance.  Fortunately, using a lvl 50 A/E Nightmare and/or Glimpse of the Abyss and +5 boosting it helps a fair amount. 

Again, I build +to hit and +Accuracy as serious build goals in this.  A lot of Dark's survival and strength is based on you hitting and your opponent missing.  Climbing to the top of the Accuracy hill and keeping your opponents at the bottom is one of your top priorities.  The Stun Cloak in Dark has a bad base accuracy. You need it to work.  Fear is awesome...when it's hitting.  Your heals, your strange attack chain, there is not a lot of time for screwing around.  Build for success.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:49 AM, tidge said:

IIRC, Auras are one of the game effects that make ToHit checks, but ONLY show the misses in the log (either by default, or "for because").  There was a thread a long while back about the RNG in the bugs sub-forum that discussed this.

The only other combat behavior I know shows the same behavior (only logging misses) are the "aggressive mode" henchmen/pet combat logs against targetable (by the "pets", not by player) objects.

I imagine that it's because both of those things, when functioning accurately and properly in a large group of baddies or destroyable objects like in a mayhem, would flood the combat log with so many hits that you wouldn't be able to find anything else.

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 1