ATO Questions

drgantz

I've never used an ATO before, and since they are expensive,   I don't want to mess it up when I buy one.

First, I'm willing to listen to any advice that anyone wants to give.

I've read that they can first be used at level 10.  I've also heard that an Enhancement Catalyst can turn it purple.  I assume that this is done using the same method in which Enhancement Converters are used.

If turned purple, can it be used at level 10 or is a higher level needed?

While that 8 mil price tag can be daunting, ATOs are worth slotting in your build. My advice would be to gather up 100 mil using your preferred method and buy a few Super Packs off the auction house. When you open these, you have a good chance of nabbing 1 (or possibly even 2!) plus a bunch of other goodies. You can sell back everything you don't need and eventually they will start paying for themselves with enough pulls.

They are, like most things in the game unfortunately, not created equal. If you're playing a Tanker, Scrapper, or Stalker, ATOs are veritable game changers and you're missing out on huge buffs if you don't use them. Other ATs, well, they get nice set bonuses.

Regular ATOs can be slotted starting at level 10. You can bring them into their true potential by catalyzing them at level 50. You use an Enhancement Catalyst on an enhancement by opening the same window you would use to combine enhancements. If you're able to apply a Catalyst to an enhancement, the option will pop up there.

Once you apply a Catalyst to an ATO (or a Winter O), it can only be equipped at level 50. The bonuses will still scale down all the way to level 10.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

22 hours ago, drgantz said:

I've never used an ATO before, and since they are expensive,   I don't want to mess it up when I buy one.

I've read that they can first be used at level 10.  I've also heard that an Enhancement Catalyst can turn it purple.  I assume that this is done using the same method in which Enhancement Converters are used.

If turned purple, can it be used at level 10 or is a higher level needed?

One of the most important things to do when deciding on what ATO sets to get for your archetype is to go into the AH, look up the attuned ATOs (only kind, but that is where they are), and hover over them to look at the set bonus.

There are sets that yield the most advantage if you slot 2, 3, or 4. If it is 2, you are lucky and can slot 3 sets of 2. If 3, then, of course, you could only slot them in 2 powers. '

The 4 one is odd. You could put all 6 in something, but, generally, that will mean that your accuracy isn't going to be as high as you might want it to be (I know it isn't high enough for me).

This can also help you figure out buying parts of ATO sets at a time if that is what you need to do.

Take a good look at the procs too. Most of the time the procs are very useful in the ATO sets, but sometimes, they just don't it with my character conception.

Also, look at purchasing ATO's through Merits instead of influence if influence is an issue.

If you are planning to be playing for the long haul and/or are having fun leveling instead of being power-leveled to 50, I really suggest spending at least a little time marketing in whatever mode in order to increase how much influence you have.

Edited by UltraAlt
over over to hover over
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, drgantz said:

Just to correct something that has been said in this thread:

Never, ever, EVER, use Reward Merits to directly buy an ATO.  At 100 merits/per they are a rip-off at that price. 100 Merits can usually be sold for +/- 20 million influence via Boosters, Converters, or (on a good day) Unslotters.  And that is without getting into crafting/converting which is a larger return on RMs for more effort.

Standard (Not Superior) ATOs on the Market will rarely price above 9-10 million influence.  Why pay 20 million influence worth of Reward Merits for something that can generally be purchased on Market for less than half that.  The cost of the Catalyst it Superior-ize them when you hit 50 is inconsequential, and those can be had as drops anyway.

But don't buy them from the RM Vendor at 100 Merits each, they are only there at that price to prevent rampant inflation of them on market.

Edited by InvaderStych
because i can't type before coffee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Thank you for your advice.  I was planning to get them from the vending machine in the main building in Atlas Park.  Is there a difference between those ATOs and ATOs from other sources such as the AH?

Also, how do you get Super Packs, besides the AH?

1 minute ago, drgantz said:

Thank you for your advice.  I was planning to get them from the vending machine in the main building in Atlas Park.  Is there a difference between those ATOs and ATOs from other sources such as the AH?

They're exactly the same, just more expensive from the RM Vendor (vending machine) by at least double.

• Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

9 minutes ago, drgantz said:

Thanks to all of  you for your help.

This may be a dumb question, but I thought that everything in the AH was put there by players.  Are items such as Super Packs and ATOs put there by the admins?

The devs seed the market for salvage and super packs. Recipes and IOs are added by the players.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drgantz said:

Thanks.  Do I need an Unslotter to add a Catalyst after the ATO  has been slotted?

no you simply use the catalyst by opening your enhancement window, clicking on the enhancement you wish to use the catalyst on then it should show you the available catalysts you have to use

have you bought the ATO set yet? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drgantz said:

Thank  you for helping, and no, I haven't bought the ATO set yet.  I've looked at it on the AH, but don't have a lot of time now.  I will get it later.

i’m happy to send the set you want ingame if it helps you complete your character with other IOs, feel free to pm me on the forum with your global handle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later
32 minutes ago, drgantz said:

Which ATs are good or bad for using ATOs?

From previous comments, I get the impression that melee ATs make excellent use of ATOs while ranged and defensive ATs don't use them as well.

Some ATs get better ATOs than others, but it's all subjective based on what your trying to get out of a toon. Stalkers, Scrappers, Tankers, Blasters, Corruptors, and SoA have pretty great ATOs imo. Others have some decent bonuses but some don't seem as useful for what I usually build towards. Most of the AT's procs are overall pretty useful and often times worth having those at the bare minimum.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drgantz said:

I've noticed that several people mentioned Scrappers, Stalkers and Tankers.  Are they good for Brutes?

Brute ATOs aren't game changers like they are for the other Melee ATs but they still get exceptional bonuses.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

4 hours ago, drgantz said:

From previous comments, I get the impression that melee ATs make excellent use of ATOs while ranged and defensive ATs don't use them as well.

Well, the Mastermind ones are an interesting case - the 2-set bonus is a boost to global recharge speed, so you can have 3 of them, and when upgraded, that adds up to a 30% bonus!

The Stalker one that gives a chance of instantly recharging build up is a real game changer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drgantz said:

I've noticed that several people mentioned Scrappers, Stalkers and Tankers.  Are they good for Brutes?

This is a sore spot.  It is pretty obvious Scrappers got OMFG this is great ATO procs.  Brutes got a Charlie Brown Halloween rock.

Pin on Halloween

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 3