Demons Whip animations as alternate animations for Fire Swords

Dear devs, please consider adding the Mastermind Demons whip animations as alternate animations for Fire powerset swords in Fiery Melee and Fire Manipulation.

Here's a suggestion on the animation times along with the numbers:

Fire Sword animation: 1.33 sec

Corruption animation: 1.233 sec

Greater Fire Sword animation: 1.367 sec

Lash animation: 1.8 sec

Fire Sword Circle animation: 2.67 sec

Crack Whip animation: 2.33 sec

The fire sword animations are generally longer than the whip animation, so it's mostly a matter of extending the cast time lockout (FYI for non-devs, cast time and animation time are not the same thing - they can be changed independently) to match them, except for Lash/Greater Fire Sword. I'm not familiar with the viability of shortening the whip animation (I am told it is unusually complex), but if this is a problem, please consider reusing the Corruption animation for Greater Fire Sword. Alternatively, consider using the Lash animation for Fire Breath (extended to match the Fire Breath animations of course).

Please also consider extending this to other sets with a viably fiery theme, such as Radiation or Psychic Melee.

The reason I ask for this is not because I want the whips. It is because I hope it will reduce the number of petless masterminds on Everlasting.

Edited by Rigged
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 3

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

4 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

Animation diversification please devs!

For powers they used alliteration, with Power Proliferation, so let's think of something similar for Animations. 

Animation Addition! That'll do!

• Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Player2 said:

Just use the fire swords and pretend they are whips.

This seems rather silly. For example, why not sit in a comfy chair and pretend to be playing a video game? 

I think it's better to have the thing rather than pretend to have the thing.

cannon-logo-large.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=db8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

This seems rather silly. For example, why not sit in a comfy chair and pretend to be playing a video game? 

I think it's better to have the thing rather than pretend to have the thing.

I would tend to agree, but there are a number of people who espouse that "pretend it's the thing you want" nonsense, so I was just throwing it back at them.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, GM Crumpet said:

Name calling is classed as a personal attack and is not allowed

Okie dokes. 

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

I fully support adding the Whip animations to Fiery Melee/Fire Manipulation; the main reason I don't play those sets is because of the animation.
I think weapon constructs make sense for ice/earth melee, but fire? Meh. At least the Whip feels/looks like flowing fire.
Also, please give us alternate attack options for the other sets too! I've love to have all the earth melee animations be all stone fists or hammers, etc.

We definitely need more customizable animation options for powers!

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Andreah said:

I am against this idea -- I want at least a real whips power pool or ideally -- a full primary/secondary set.

With only a limited number of whip animations, this would only be possible by reusing them for additional powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Player2 said:

With only a limited number of whip animations, this would only be possible by reusing them for additional powers.

I'd be okay with this. 

Best case, the "firey" effects on the whip might be altered or suppresed.

10 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I'd be okay with this. 

The fiery effect is part of the whip animation.  There's no removing it without each frame of the animation being edited individually.

53 minutes ago, Player2 said:

The fiery effect is part of the whip animation.  There's no removing it without each frame of the animation being edited individually.

Yeah, and I recall a developer interview or such where they described that particular animation as being very difficult and resource consuming to create.

But I still can dream. :D

Edited by Andreah
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Andreah said:

Yeah, and I recall a developer interview or such where they described that particular animation as being very difficult and resource consuming to create.

But I still can dream. 😄

Praetorian Psi foes have the "whip" animation as "Psi Lash" so it can potentially be proliferated. 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

15 hours ago, Andreah said:

I'd be okay with this. 

Omg... imagine the possibilities ... electric whip... ooh.. naaastyyy!

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

Omg... imagine the possibilities ... electric whip... ooh.. naaastyyy!

Don't tease me with electric whips or energy whips. I've been dreaming of a whip set, specifically electrified whips, since before the Live devs announced we were finally going to get a whip set.

I always wondered why they didn't take a page from CO and how they use chain weapons, skip the complexity of actual whip use, and just make it a PBAoE and ST damage set that didn't get into the weeds of tripping, disarming, or binding. (Though I think a modified version of the Hell on Earth animation that struck at the legs instead would probably have worked for a trip attack, I was never a dev and so have no idea what problems they ran into.)

Don't get me wrong. I was happy when the Demon Summoning set was released. I mean, I quickly learned to hate the gargoyles for how noisy they were, but it was a set that had a whip! The fact it was done because the Live devs couldn't make the whip set they had been trying to make was very disappointing, but it had a whip!

Edit: Yes, I know you all are talking about alternate animations for the Demon Summoning set. I derailed myself. Apologies.

Edited by Rudra

32 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I quickly learned to hate the gargoyles for how noisy they were, but it was a set that had a whip! The fact it was done because the Live devs couldn't make the whip set they had been trying to make was very disappointing, but it had a whip!

I think the live devs did try to innovate within their confines. I mean the dual pistols is a brilliant example of the sort of thing that's possible when you imagine Better.

Regarding the noisy Demon Summoning pets, you probably already know, but just in case, there are several mods for that powerset (including Kittens, aww) available and EASY to install. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Herotu said:

I think the live devs did try to innovate within their confines. I mean the dual pistols is a brilliant example of the sort of thing that's possible when you imagine Better.

Regarding the noisy Demon Summoning pets, you probably already know, but just in case, there are several mods for that powerset (including Kittens, aww) available and EASY to install. 

I appreciate the heads up. Yeah, someone else already pointed me to a quiet demons mod. They still start their howl animation, they just don't howl. It's a wonderful relief. My comment was about back on Live, where I sidelined my demon MM because of the howls.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

Can I replace the sounds with records of my exes?

Hmm...  sounds hilarious in theory, but I wouldn't want to hear reminders of their existence.