How to Improve the Help Window in Game?

If we were to do a modding project where we tried to improve the help window... what information or tools would you put in the help window? How could we make it more useful?

I mean, what would be useful for both new players and veteran players? Or should the help window only focus on new players?

/helpwindow

What the window has right now is:

• Combat
  • Bases
  • Contacts
  • Nav
  • Powers
  • Rewards
  • Social 
  • User
  • Arena
  • PvP
  • Invention System
  • Flashback System
  • Day Jobs
  • Merit Rewards
  • Architect - Creating Stories
  • Architect - Playing Stories
  • Architect - Mission Goals
  • Architect - Custom Characters
  • Architect - Tips
  • Badges

Edited by BlackSpectre

At first I thought you were talking about the Help chat channel but I don't actually recall using the Help window in so long I think I've forgotten it exists. Maybe it needs a period reminder pop up to say "Help window is still here!"

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

1 hour ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

At first I thought you were talking about the Help chat channel but I don't actually recall using the Help window in so long I think I've forgotten it exists. Maybe it needs a period reminder pop up to say "Help window is still here!"

It's just placed in a bad location, buried in the Menu list. It really should be more prominent such as on top of the Status window right between Nav and Menu. Or on the bottom of the Target window (there's a lot of space there!).  It's very forgettable where it is, and too easy for new players to overlook.

Some of the things obvious things to fix in the Help window would be all the lists and info that is incomplete, obsolete, or out of date. Lots of typos in there too.  

But what I wanted to know is what would YOU put in the window if you were going to re-create it? What would you take out? 

If I remember the next time I log in the game (don't hold your breath) I will check

Feedback incoming (searches for a snail emote)

🐌 Seriously? Is this the BEST FUCKING SNAIL EMOJI AVAILABLE? WTF IS THIS?

please... seriously. Fix emojis

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

New sections of travel,  incarnate system and teams/leagues would be good.  Combat stats explained and combat formulas would be useful. Updating the old info would be nice.  A few sections might get rolled together like rewards <> merit rewards and pvp <> arena.

Ill have to poke through it again next time im on.  I recall most of the information to be pretty bad if you are a new player and mostly useless if you are an experienced player.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're in a league and you're accidentally given the star; Help on how to give it back before everyone dies a horrible death.

• Haha 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Eesh. The help window...

I don't know what I'd do with it, honestly.  Yeah, a lot could be combined - "rewards" and "merit rewards" kind of jumps out - but it's overall a mess.

An obvious section at the top with frequent questions (caps, how to find out what the WST is, Incarnates, etc.) might be good, but overall I think  the help window's a hot (and rather outdated) mess. And I have no idea why "My status" is available there as a dropdown.

The *biggest* problem with it (and several other windows in the game) is that you can't resize it. Which limits what you can do as far as "put useful information in it" right at the start.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 6/25/2023 at 4:29 PM, BlackSpectre said:

If we were to do a modding project where we tried to improve the help window... what information or tools would you put in the help window? How could we make it more useful?

Well, on the list you posted I see no mention of the Auction House or the Incarnate system.  Those are pretty major.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I see most people are looking at the Help window as an aid to new players. Should anything go in it to help out veteran players? 

Back on the live forums a player modded the help menu, and the categories he settled on were:

• Task Forces
  • City Zones
  • Contacts By Level
  • Story Arcs by Level
  • Tips by Type
  • Badges by Category
  • SG Badges by Category
  • Temp Powers by Category
  • Souvenirs by Name
  • Colors by Name
  • Badges By Name
  • Badges in Game Order
  • Contacts By Name
  • Temp Powers by Name
  • Badges Recent Adds

• 3 weeks later
On 6/26/2023 at 3:41 AM, Greycat said:

Eesh. The help window...

...overall I think  the help window's a hot (and rather outdated) mess.

So in conclusion... the gist I've been getting from these comments and others is this. Having a help window at all is outdated.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't disagree. Most players, including me, just google for answers. Maybe the best thing for a help window would be for it to have a pleasant welcome to homecoming message and then only 6 links to various help methods. Maybe it would look something like this:

Welcome to City of Heroes: Homecoming! 

City of Heroes® brings the world of comic books alive in this massively multiplayer 3D online universe.

Craft your hero's identity and join millions of Hero characters in a constantly expanding universe, explore

the sprawling online metropolis of Paragon City™, and battle a host of foes including criminals, villains, and monsters.

For assistance, try one of these options:

• Ask fellow players in-game using Help Chat.
  • Ask a Game Master for help in-game using a petition.
  • Post a question at the Homecoming Forums.
  • Post a question at the Homecoming Discord server.
  • Find the answer at the Homecoming Wiki.

And that's it. Delete all other information in the help window. Make it simple, easy to update, and uncomplicated.

Honestly, the Help menu's been outdated even on live. It's somewhat sparse in areas, I don't think parts of it were updated or updated in a timely manner... yeah.

Pointing at the proper chats, an FAQ, some common references (base editing controls, for instance) with outside links probably is the best.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.