would you pvp for prismatic aether things?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. would you pvp if prisms dropped from player kills?

• YES
    • NO

17 minutes ago, honoroit said:

maybe @Neiska is missing 'server flag' in my commentry on open pvp, like pvp vs pve servers in other games.

hence, people interested in pvp (open world) would (likely) move characters there.

and so, youd be less bothered, no?

This is right up there with 'Give us a pre-Issue#' server. Requires a separately maintained code and another server to maintain. Considering that the devs and mods are volunteers, I am opposed to another load on their already limited time.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

40 minutes ago, Neiska said:

Given that there are already pvp areas on all servers largely devoid of people, I don't see how having a server specifically made for open-world pvp would change that. Here is what I expect would happen -

1. If its an existing server suddenly made into open season PVP, anyone who doesn't want that would change servers or simply leave.

2. If it's a new server, you just made a server-sized PVP zone, that would be largely empty. You might get some people who would check it out shortly after launch, but as soon as the toxic behavior began (ganking new characters at lady liberty) I suspect that those seeking "legit" PVP would leave. So what would leave you with 3 - 

3. A server with few legitimate PVPers/duelers, a few people like yourself wondering where all their targets are.

4. Cue the "pay people to come to the pvp server!" posts.

Which is essentially the same thing as this same topic. Just instead of PVP zones, it would just be the PVP server.

you dont think lady liberty would fight back in such an implementation, like npcs get zapped, or that gankers would do well against ppd lasers?

but 'could' it happen? sure. someone 'might' be able to solo org as ally.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, honoroit said:

you dont think lady liberty would fight back in such an implementation, like npcs get zapped, or that gankers would do well against ppd lasers?

but 'could' it happen? sure. someone 'might' be able to solo org as ally.

See, now you are changing your request. Currently, the NPC Lady Liberty in Atlas does not take part in combat, she is a mission giver/quest NPC. And changing her to take part is no longer just "adding more PVP."

This sounds more like you are asking to make it possible for teams of Gankers to kill PVE NPCS, like its possible to do in WoW where the opposite faction just kills the quest NPCs over and over, preventing the opposing faction from completing quests. Which I view just as another form of harassment.

But this entire conversation is moot. There is very little chance of any of this coming about, especially as you keep changing your request. Originally this began as "Aethers for PVP" to "PVP flagged server" now to "Let us fight in Atlas City." And the more I hear the less I care for any of it. To me it sounds like you are grasping for ways to justify grieving your fellow players or tricking them into being punching bags.

No, thank you. If you want to PVP, go PVP. Can't find people to PVP with? Perhaps there are reasons why.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/2/2023 at 9:18 PM, srmalloy said:

CoH was released without any trace of PvP, and stayed that way until NCsoft directed that it be spatchcocked onto the game,.

... you need to look at the dev diaries and other commentaries. PVP was intended to be in from the start. Before player *villains* were.  Just like the top level being level 50, despite only starting with 40 levels. It was not forced on COH by NCSoft.

From a pre-release where Rick Dakan was discussing why there weren't any villains in the game, his thoughts on PVP (generally open world) and acknowledging players would want to face off against other players - thus, the arenas -

https://web.archive.org/web/20070210151142/http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/366/366748p2.html

But there is that competitive need in players... that desire to test their hero against their buddy's character. And so we came up with the idea of an Arena. There's no real precedent for such an institution in comics, at least not one I know of. But it also makes a lot of sense. In a world where superheroes are, if not ubiquitous than at least somewhat common, it is only natural that super-powered contests would enter into the popular culture as a form of sports entertainment. After all, watching grown men (and more recently women) beat the crap out of each other has been enjoyable entertainment for thousands of years. It's bound to get better ratings if the combatants can fly and shoot fire from their hands.

The Arena thus answers all of our practical concerns about PvP and even fits into the ideological worldview we've got going on with City of Heroes. When implemented (which it's not yet), it will allow players to face off against one another and test their heroes in a no-consequence combat environment. No one participates unless they want to and no one risks anything unless they want to. Who would mind if there's the occasional friendly wager between comrades in arms in the fight against evil? Hey, these super-powered types work hard and they play hard.

Date: Aug. 7, 2002.

Obviously, things changed later - we have villain players, and since they wouldn't be allowed to saunter around the city looking for an arena to play in, we have PVP zones. But the intent to allow PVP - just not open world - was in *very* early.
  • Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

23 hours ago, honoroit said:

a forced flag SERVER OPTION would be pretty great i think. thatd open stuff like pvp in hazard zones, or, gasp, atlas park thats not rv.

No, it wouldn't.

People already don't go into PVP zones - or spend as little time as possible there, just to get a Shivan or Nuke or a badge, maybe racing through to get 5 merits from the explore badge.

A server? ... why waste the space (or donation funds?)

If *YOU* want that, *YOU* can dedicate (or rent) a machine, download COH's server (they're honestly pretty easy to set up) and see if you can set such a flag up, then advertise it and see what sort of response you get. I'd probably grab the I24 code, since some folks are... kvetchy about anything dealing with SCoRE's changes.

If it lasted 3 months with a population above 500, I'd be shocked.

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

i want prisms!

and... i want pvp!

i want hot buttered porridge, and clay jars of raw honey! 

I want hairy lichen on the trees, silver birch by a beach cliff, and salt in the air.

but all i hear is skill issue.

you should git gud.

-- honoroit

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

12 hours ago, Neiska said:

But if base raiding didn't destroy objects/placeables, I am uncertain what the goal or interaction would be. I also wonder at how much "space" or memory that might take to pull off, I mean you kind of just duplicated all the memory required for personal housing, unless it was a "created on spawn" kind of thing like mission maps. Not a computer smarty here so I have no idea how any of that would work.

Maybe I'm smoking crack and the last year has been a fever dream, but wasn't PvP in SG bases re-enabled in Page 5?

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

spacer.png

tumblr_osgzjxcILh1s29fu9o1_500.png.9e2c01c7e8ceffe386e052e963fd4dde.png

spacer.png

If in some smothering dreams,

you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing bloodshot cracked,

His hanging face;

like a devil’s sick of sin…

who'd thick grin toward, so for us capture, our mortal rest.  

-- Honoroit, court musician and triumphant gastronome.

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, macskull said:

Maybe I'm smoking crack and the last year has been a fever dream, but wasn't PvP in SG bases re-enabled in Page 5?

I have no idea hon, that was way before my time. I never played live! So you tell me! 😆

11 hours ago, macskull said:

Goes to show how much attention I pay to PvP.  <.<

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

11 hours ago, macskull said:

I just PvPed against my second account in the base.  You can choose Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, or Control Points.  And secondary settings of Free for All or Defenders vs Attackers.

Bonus fun fact:  You can attack your base NPCs and some items, but they don't fight back or take damage.  I don't have any base defenses so I don't know if those give and take damage.

I even got a +1 reputation point for tying with 1 kill each.

4 hours ago, Neiska said:

I have no idea hon, that was way before my time. I never played live! So you tell me! 😆

Issue 27 Page 5, not Issue 5. So...  about 10 months ago.

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I just PvPed against my second account in the base.  You can choose Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, or Control Points.  And secondary settings of Free for All or Defenders vs Attackers.

Bonus fun fact:  You can attack your base NPCs and some items, but they don't fight back or take damage.  I don't have any base defenses so I don't know if those give and take damage.

I even got a +1 reputation point for tying with 1 kill each.

Capture the Flag and Control Points don't do anything, IIRC. We did some testing with objective based SG PvP early last year and it was fun but it needed quite a bit of polish to be ready and I don't think it's a priority since most of the PvP changes on Homecoming have been the result of a single dev's spare time.

2 minutes ago, macskull said:

Capture the Flag and Control Points don't do anything, IIRC.

Just from messing with the settings, it seems that Death match is for FFA and the other two modes require Attackers vs Defenders.  The only difference, from the in game text, is that in FFA base defenses attack everyone and in attackers vs defenders the base defenses only attack non-SG members.

I added some base defenses to see.  I was able to destroy them and they came back after finishing the match AND leaving the base for a minute or two.  However, they did not attack either of my characters as they are in the SG, even in FFA mode.

I vaguely remember testing phase and completely forgot about it.  I think I remember the issues and thought it didn't make it live.

I think PvPers and Base Builders should get together.  Fighting in Stadiums, Mazes, and other crazy places would be fun for both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Just from messing with the settings, it seems that Death match is for FFA and the other two modes require Attackers vs Defenders.  The only difference, from the in game text, is that in FFA base defenses attack everyone and in attackers vs defenders the base defenses only attack non-SG members.

I added some base defenses to see.  I was able to destroy them and they came back after finishing the match AND leaving the base for a minute or two.  However, they did not attack either of my characters as they are in the SG, even in FFA mode.

I vaguely remember testing phase and completely forgot about it.  I think I remember the issues and thought it didn't make it live.

I think PvPers and Base Builders should get together.  Fighting in Stadiums, Mazes, and other crazy places would be fun for both.

The initial testing was something like "pick up glowie and get it from point A to point B, if you die you drop it" but that was hard to test without full teams.