What Fire/ to build first? The classic /Rad or the almost never spoken about /Storm?

mistagoat

Love me some Trollers! These are 2 combos that I never tried pairing up even back on live. I think I'll end up building both eventually but does anyone have thoughts, pleasant experiences, horrible experiences, slotting tips or general advise on Fire/Rad and Fire/Storm that might push me try 1 first?

I have builds worked up for both of them with softcapped s/l and high recharge. I would have loved to also softcap Ranged but the sacrifices required seemed too great. I can post them after work. They both look very end heavy but I think they're manageable.

So please regale me with stories of your Fire/Rads and Fire/Storms and help me decide who gets the first spot.

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

Fire/storm also has to balance Hurricane and Hot Feet so I would lean Fire/rad.

• Thanks 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

id choose fire/rad:

spacer.png

between choking cloud, hot feet, the debuffs, AM, bonfire, the imps, and room for smoke should you care for it and use it like a blind... (and skip fallout/mutation)... its probably a good character that comes out from a support/cc perspective, with 'not super terrible' (for a controller) damage.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks! I'm still going to give it a couple days to decide and hopefully get one up on its feet this weekend.

Here are the builds I worked up. Feel free to critique if you like, they're definitely not perfect and I'm still fiddling with them but this is where I'm at right now. Oh and pay no attention to the order of power selection, that'll probably change.

Controller Fire rad 2.mbd Controller (Fire Control - Storm Summoning).mbd

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

9 minutes ago, honoroit said:

(psst - on fire/rad strongly consider getting combat teleport and, with just the key to bind, not the <>):

/bind <my favorite key like `> powexec_location target combat teleport

Oh interesting, how would you use that? Flash Fire, Cages and then bamf to the center with CC and HF running?

22 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

Oh interesting, how would you use that? Flash Fire, Cages and then bamf to the center with CC and HF running?

mhm!

you can also tp in a straight line if you need a blink like escape

/bind ctrl+` powexec_location me:100 combat teleport

i dunno if it works with like -100 (100ft is range of combat tp at base), i will test that this evening.

but its a very good escape.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did Fire/Nature, which has a combo similar to Hot Feet + Choking Cloud. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

3 hours ago, rksr9997 said:

Fire/Trick Arrow. Do it.

Oh Yeah....That's the good stuff!

Also the build no one talks about.  Fire/Poison.  If you are already in their midst, why not make them sick as well?  VG is End heavy along with Hot Feet, but given you don't need to take all but 5 powers in Poison, it gives you a lot of flexibility to a build.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Uun said:

I did Fire/Nature, which has a combo similar to Hot Feet + Choking Cloud. 

Fire/Nature is a fantastic combo but I already have one. He'll be at Hami tonight!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, honoroit said:

mhm!

you can also tp in a straight line if you need a blink like escape

/bind ctrl+` powexec_location me:100 combat teleport

i dunno if it works with like -100 (100ft is range of combat tp at base), i will test that this evening.

but its a very good escape.

backwards is without the me.  /bind shift+` powexec_location 180:50 combat teleport   <-- that'd move you directly back (180 degrees from front facing, 50ft

this helps tremendously with needing to flit in and out of melee for blaster, dominator, controller with pbaoe and cones, or anyone really.

you could go up to 100 ft, but 50 feet back if your in a mob is probably going to position you optimally for some catch of the 10-20 feet behind on a 60-80 ft cone.

adjust to your liking.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Fire/Storm. Pure elemental engine of destruction.

Lavan FireStorm is one of my top tier controllers for raw damage and fun. Highly recommend the experience, and it plays a lot differently than most controllers. 
Chaos control.

absolutely plan on all the end/recovery techniques and Health uniques plus Atlas accolade, you’ll need them as it’s a very end hungry build. Totally worth it though! 🙂

• Like 1

I think this is the current build if it's any help, I've run it with a few different focuses. Haven't looked at it in a while, I should probably dust Lavan off and tweak it some more... 🙂 

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lavan FireStorm: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Endurance
  • (5) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (11) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (11) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 1: O2 Boost

• (A) Regenerative Tissue - +Regeneration

Level 2: Fire Cages

• (A) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize
  • (5) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Recharge
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (9) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Endurance

Level 4: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 6: Smoke

• (A) To Hit Debuff IO

Level 8: Hot Feet

• (A) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (9) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (46) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (48) Armageddon - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (48) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 10: Steamy Mist

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (13) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (15) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (15) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 12: Flashfire

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (13) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage
  • (17) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (17) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (19) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge

Level 14: Hover

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 16: Freezing Rain

• (A) Touch of Lady Grey - Recharge/Endurance
  • (21) Pacing of the Turtle - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (21) Tempered Readiness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow

Level 18: Cinders

• (A) Lockdown - Accuracy/Hold
  • (34) Lockdown - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Lockdown - Chance for +2 Mag Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Recharge/Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 20: Hurricane

• (A) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown
  • (43) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (50) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (50) Dark Watcher's Despair - Recharge/Endurance

Level 22: Bonfire

• (23) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (23) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (25) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (25) Ragnarok - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance

Level 24: Thunder Clap

• (A) Absolute Amazement - Stun
  • (43) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge
  • (43) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (45) Absolute Amazement - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (45) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Endurance

Level 26: Fire Imps

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (27) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (27) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 28: Tornado

• (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (29) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (31) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (31) Call to Arms - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Lightning Storm

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (31) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Force Feedback - Recharge/Endurance

Level 32: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 35: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (37) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 38: Water Spout

• (39) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (39) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Air Burst - Damage/Endurance

Level 41: Hibernate

Level 44: Weave

• (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 47: Combat Jumping

Level 49: Summon Coralax

• (A) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty
Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Empty
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Swift
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Hurdle
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Health
  • (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (36) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (36) Miracle - +Recovery
Level 1: Stamina
  • (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod
  • (37) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (40) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Accuracy
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 

------------

Edited by Argentae

On 8/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, Argentae said:

I think this is the current build if it's any help, I've run it with a few different focuses. Haven't looked at it in a while, I should probably dust Lavan off and tweak it some more... 🙂 

Reveal hidden contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lavan FireStorm: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char

• (A) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold
  • (3) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Endurance
  • (5) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (11) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (11) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)

Level 1: O2 Boost

• (A) Regenerative Tissue - +Regeneration

Level 2: Fire Cages

• (A) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize
  • (5) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Recharge
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (7) Gravitational Anchor - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (9) Gravitational Anchor - Immobilize/Endurance

Level 4: Hasten

Level 6: Smoke

• (A) To Hit Debuff IO

Level 8: Hot Feet

• (A) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (9) Endurance Reduction IO
  • (46) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (48) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (48) Armageddon - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (48) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage

Level 10: Steamy Mist

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (13) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (15) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (15) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 12: Flashfire

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (13) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage
  • (17) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (17) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (19) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge

Level 14: Hover

• (50) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 16: Freezing Rain

• (A) Touch of Lady Grey - Recharge/Endurance
  • (21) Pacing of the Turtle - Endurance/Recharge/Slow
  • (21) Tempered Readiness - Endurance/Recharge/Slow

Level 18: Cinders

• (A) Lockdown - Accuracy/Hold
  • (34) Lockdown - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Lockdown - Chance for +2 Mag Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Recharge/Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (42) Lockdown - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 20: Hurricane

• (43) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (50) Dark Watcher's Despair - To Hit Debuff/Endurance
  • (50) Dark Watcher's Despair - Recharge/Endurance

Level 22: Bonfire

• (23) Ragnarok - Damage
  • (23) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (25) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (25) Ragnarok - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (46) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance

Level 24: Thunder Clap

• (A) Absolute Amazement - Stun
  • (43) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge
  • (43) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Recharge/Accuracy
  • (45) Absolute Amazement - Recharge/Accuracy
  • (45) Absolute Amazement - Stun/Endurance

Level 26: Fire Imps

• (A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (27) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage
  • (27) Expedient Reinforcement - Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Expedient Reinforcement - Resist Bonus Aura for Pets
  • (36) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (37) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

Level 28: Tornado

• (29) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (31) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown
  • (31) Call to Arms - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 30: Lightning Storm

• (A) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (31) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (33) Force Feedback - Recharge/Endurance

Level 32: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 35: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (37) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 38: Water Spout

• (39) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge
  • (39) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (39) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (40) Air Burst - Damage/Endurance

Level 41: Hibernate

Level 44: Weave

• (46) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 47: Combat Jumping

Level 49: Summon Coralax

• (A) Soulbound Allegiance - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty
Level 1: Sprint
  • (A) Empty
Level 2: Rest
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Swift
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Hurdle
  • (A) Empty
Level 1: Health
  • (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (36) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery
  • (36) Miracle - +Recovery
Level 1: Stamina
  • (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod
  • (37) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (40) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Accuracy
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 

------------

Much appreciated! I'll check it out after work. 

I finally got the Fire/Storm started and I'm loving it so far! Endurance isn't too bad as long as I only run either hot feet OR hurricane and don't spam lightning bolt. LB uses so much end, it's nuts! I'm mostly only bustin it out on bosses for the moment. But with flashfire, cinders, char, bonfire, freezing rain and tornado nobody gets a chance to attack before they are stunned, held or falling down! Great fun!

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly. Absolute blast to play with KB -> KD in the right powers. 

IIRC I did some slotting specifically to keep the costs on Tornado and LS down to reasonable levels. My Plant/Storm chronology has some excellent Endurance management on the /Storm side so I might be conflating the two.

• Thumbs Up 1