Why Play Any Control Set Other Than Mind Control?

Rinwen

1 hour ago, Rinwen said:

Ya know, I thought the few comments about Symphony were some kind of joke, only to look it up and see that it's a real set 😲

I then looked at YouTube and saw visuals of the powers... OMG that's my next toon.

I  play Bards/Minstrels in every MMO, and Tyroc from the Legion of Superheroes is one of my favorites... so time to make an homage to him 😁

Don't judge it by the sounds, they are wretched.  It is a good set once you become handy with the mechanics, especially once you get your pet.  Lots of cones but lots of proc opportunities and I enjoyed my Blue Aria all the way up to fifty and beyond.  I was however kidding about the S Class part, she aint that strong, more of an A in my opinion though others mark the set down further.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

23 hours ago, Rinwen said:

I'm putting this in General because the question applies to both Controllers and Dominators.

I've played every control set, I've bumped characters to Level 50 on Test, and kitted out every one of them in the best IO sets, (I like to plan ahead as to whether or not a particular class/set is worth my time in the long run on the regular servers).

Mind is the only one that SLEEPS thereby taking one or more enemies completely out of the fight.

Every other control set can only root... so I'm still getting hit by ranged attacks... which can be deadly.

While none of those maxed characters has died yet, (except in Pergrine Isle when taking on 2x OJ Bosses... my Mind Controller and Dom have NEVER died to this match up by the way), they end the fight CONSIDERABLY more beat up than my Mind guys, who essentially finish fights at full HP because nothing ever wakes up to launch any kind of attack; ranged or melee.

Thematically of course I get it, I have several other Controller/Dom characters... one of my favorites from a concept/homage standpoint is my Grav/Time recreation of Graviton, (a Marvel comics Avenger's villain).

But from a practical standpoint, I don't understand. Sleep is orders of magnitude better than a root. 

Am I missing something? 

I appreciate your insight. 

Really? I would understand if you said Plant. But Mind? Really?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Then that is why you don't see the downside to sleep.

If you are on a team and have sleep powers, pretty much as soon as you use them, someone is going to wake up whomever you slept.

I do feel sorry for you that you don't team up though. Teaming up is what makes the game really fun for me.

You feel sorry for them that they don't team up? Some people prefer to solo, that is nothing to feel sorry for them for.  People tend to ease in to team play rather than dive in head first. Some people don't like to team at all.

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

You feel sorry for them that they don't team up? Some people prefer to solo, that is nothing to feel sorry for them for.  People tend to ease in to team play rather than dive in head first. Some people don't like to team at all.

Yep, I don't team for a few reasons, but mostly so I can play at MY pace.

I tend to chat with my wife when I play, or watch TV... so I can just pause my game play as I wish, and I'm not obligated to a team's pace.

I also just want to quit a play session when I want to... not be forced to keep playing because the team isn't done with a quest/mission/etc.

I agree with you, that's hardly something to feel sorry for 🙄

Edited by Rinwen
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rinwen said:

Yep, I don't team for a few reasons, but mostly so I can play at MY pace.

I tend to chat with my wife when I play, or watch TV... so I can just pause my game play as I wish, and I'm not obligated to a team's pace.

I also just want to quit a play session when I want to... not be forced to keep playing because the team isn't done with a quest/mission/etc.

I agree with you, that's hardly something to feel sorry for 🙄

So here I think we have the crux of the issue.

We have a player that doesn't team, plays a specific AT and powerset and has decided that there is no alternative.

QED: This works for me, so why doesn't it work for you?

Now we have the full facts I'm wondering why we even bother with this thread

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

15 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

So here I think we have the crux of the issue.

We have a player that doesn't team, plays a specific AT and powerset and has decided that there is no alternative.

QED: This works for me, so why doesn't it work for you?

Now we have the full facts I'm wondering why we even bother with this thread

Uh... no... did I not ask if I was missing something? 

Apparently reading comprehension is beyond you... and as I've said repeatedly in this thread... mea culpa, I should have done more research... but most here have answered, politely I might add... what it was that I was missing..

So, yes, please stop bothering with this thread.

Edited by Rinwen