Are Bots Really Becoming a Problem?

Solarverse

43 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

There are keyboard and mouse splitters, allowing you to pass the same keyboard and mouse functions to several computers at once. I would think that it wouldn't work well for interior missions because of movement slop, but for street-sweeping and instanced outdoor missions, it would probably work okay. Why someone would put that kind of investment into farming CoH, however, is beyond me.

Even that I would think be painfully obvious. Two characters, doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. It might even be more obvious than somebody having an alt account follow them using the same power over and over. The person who accused me did nothing more than look at our builds, discover they were the same, seen that our characters matched outfits and looks, and then of course, we know what transpired from there...nothing good.

However, like Ghost said, chances are they simply had a bad day. At least I hope that is all it was.

Edited by Solarverse

On 8/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, Solarverse said:

So now, I just have to ask, is botting a problem in this game or was this person just being paranoid over nothing?

Not only paranoid, but delusional and stupid.

Bots haven't been a problem except for a relatively brief time back on live.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

The only issue I'd ever have with bots in this game would be if they were spamming the broadcast, lft, help, etc channels with adds or something.

Why should I or anyone care if people "bot" to play the game? Just don't team with them if you don't like it *shrug*

This game doesn't force you to team with anybody.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, Solarverse said:

The person who accused me did nothing more than look at our builds, discover they were the same, seen that our characters matched outfits and looks, and then of course

The few times I've seen this I thought, "Oh cool, a couple" or good friends or something, and assume they're good players because they put effort into it.

The Player Info window shows their backstory, if any, powers, badges, and set bonuses.  If they have those then they're active players and I'm happy to have 'em along.

I'll most likely add a 5-star note on them during the missions so I can recognize them later.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gentoo said:

The only issue I'd ever have with bots in this game would be if they were spamming the broadcast, lft, help, etc channels with adds or something.

Why should I or anyone care if people "bot" to play the game? Just don't team with them if you don't like it *shrug*

This game doesn't force you to team with anybody.

Allow me to show you my pet peeve ha ha: Halloween hotel leeching.  They can walk away from the keyboard while I click the doors to get things going, then get a chance at the pie when something drops. 

This is like inviting yourself to someone else's farm, and then they can't make you leave.  Imagine if you could do that in AE, people would screeeeam.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 8/25/2023 at 5:46 PM, Bionic_Flea said:

What's wrong with WifeBots?

Luminary.webp.1e10fae6f9924183881efb337ba16d88.webp

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPYsv8iUzuJjfvnCbdMDL

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.