In praise of jousting

cranebump

Got the notion I'd solo Hess TF with my semi-puny little L32 Sentinel (TF lvl capped at 30), which was fine, until Archon B (AV) battle. Went around and cleared minions and turrets after the first engagement. Couldn't take him in a stand up fight, so...

image.png.832ffb8a9cad5ca81b915fc5902a904a.png

Lava. Lava is your friend...

It was quite the lengthy dance, but finally burnt that bastard. (and thinking now, "Why did you skip Hover, you idiot?")

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Eh, Hover is taken in the 40s for me if I took Fly. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It surprises me when people seem to have just discovered how to do this.

I hear people (especially melee) having trouble with Protean and it's like.... have you never tried this technique? He'll never get his PBAOE off since you're only in range for half a second...

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I hear people (especially melee) having trouble with Protean and it's like.... have you never tried this technique? He'll never get his PBAOE off since you're only in range for half a second...

To be fair a lot of people who play this game tend to get upset if they can't just stand in one place and mash buttons.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

56 minutes ago, macskull said:

To be fair a lot of people who play this game tend to get upset if they can't just stand in one place and mash buttons.

That's what the forums are for.

*mashes keys*

Wooooooooooooooo!  I win again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

It surprises me when people seem to have just discovered how to do this.

Retrograding IS an option, alright. Esp if you’re on some form of blaster, as I usually am. I was running Water/Rad, and had to eschew the 1 Pbaoe Rad attack I have, save for a couple times when I timed my escape right. Mainly kept hitting with Sentinel vulnerability mark, used absorption+self heal when he managed a melee on a pass by. I didn’t get him locked into the lava until just before he went down, when the KD kicked in twice in the blasts. My End is excellent on this toon (though damage is meh), so I never worried about blue bar.  I was plain out of red insps though, so this dragged.

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I've been doing this with my Speedster character.  I leave Super Speed running, get some distance, then queue my attack and run past the enemy and out of melee range.  By the time the power activates, I'm out of range of his retaliation, and my attack does damage.  Granted, it takes a while to defeat ANYTHING, but it's safe!

4 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I've been doing this with my Speedster character.  I leave Super Speed running, get some distance, then queue my attack and run past the enemy and out of melee range.  By the time the power activates, I'm out of range of his retaliation, and my attack does damage.  Granted, it takes a while to defeat ANYTHING, but it's safe!

I just want to add, because of that (even though it is hardly an effective way of killing anything) we now have the travel power suppression. Before that we could move instantly after attacking.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I just want to add, because of that (even though it is hardly an effective way of killing anything) we now have the travel power suppression. Before that we could move instantly after attacking.

I'll point out that I only do this BECAUSE of travel suppression.  If I could run at speed within the fight, I would stay in range and use my speed more normally.  As it is, the only way my speedy character can be speedy in a fight is by doing drivebys.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

That never worked when I pushed my brother off the couch into the lava.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

5 hours ago, High_Beam said:

That never worked when I pushed my brother off the couch into the lava.

Next time, try this:

image.jpeg.0518c40a4b1506a56b62d4f6c18c2498.jpeg