Why is /dark so good?

subbacultchas

I've played it a few times on Corr/Def, and it was a good set but not one I really liked. However the Controller set is one of the most amazing secondaries I've found. Buffs, debuffs, heals, and extra pet, and due to said def/res buffs its fairly easy to softcap def and have decent res % to most (even cap s/l). The best part I think is the regen/end group buff, I can often get my regen over 1000%. So what gives? Is my memory faulty, or was it always like this for controllers?

If I recall correctly, the Darkness Affinity was added recently before shutdown. I don't remember why they changed the name "Darkness Affinity". However, I do remember why they changed some of the abilities because both Darkness Affinity and Darkness Control were added at the same time. It wouldn't make sense for both powersets have hold/immob.

Question on /Dark regarding Fade.  If Fade is up and you cast Fade again, it doesn't stack but does it just start a flat new duration?  I've never tried getting it to that point in CD.

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Question on /Dark regarding Fade.  If Fade is up and you cast Fade again, it doesn't stack but does it just start a flat new duration?  I've never tried getting it to that point in CD.

Fade doesn't stack from the same caster, so it will refresh its duration. I recommend waiting til it's about to expire, then refresh it.

Fade along with Shadowfall and Combat Jumping/Hover with APP/PPP Defense armor should be enough for you.

As mentioned in another thread Darkness Affinity (in my opinion) is just superior to the already pretty good Dark Miasma that other ATs get.  You loose a single target hold and a cone fear (with a fantastic to hit debuff) for two fantastic team buffs.  I will take that trade every time on a Controller and twice on my Dark Controller as I still have said fantastic fear/debuff cone.

I'm loving it overall. But if I had to pick one power to be the MVP, it's Soul Absorption. Well slotted it will keep your team healed and in end for the entire time. I use it a fair bit even on solo mobs like AVs, where the +end really outshines the +regen.

It may be a little bit too powerful, if I'm honest.

Well two things swapped. Fearsome Stare went into Darkness Control as-is. The legacy nerfed to hell Petrifying Gaze was straight up deleted because Darkness Control got a single target hold with standard controller #s including damage. So we got Fade and Soul Absorption. I won't lie - I would love this version on a Defender. Well, it would be rough not having Fearsome Stare but if I could say toss Black Hole for Soul Absorption and Petrifying Gaze for Fade, I'd do it in a second.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Well two things swapped. Fearsome Stare went into Darkness Control as-is. The legacy nerfed to hell Petrifying Gaze was straight up deleted because Darkness Control got a single target hold with standard controller #s including damage. So we got Fade and Soul Absorption. I won't lie - I would love this version on a Defender. Well, it would be rough not having Fearsome Stare but if I could say toss Black Hole for Soul Absorption and Petrifying Gaze for Fade, I'd do it in a second.

I would too, without any regrets. This may be an unpopular stance with Dark corruptors and defenders, but it's an honest one at least.

My main is a Dark Corruptor and I'd make that trade with zero hesitation. Petrifying Gaze is perfectly okay, but I'd trade it for Fade no question, and I couldn't possibly care less about Black Hole so yeah, toss that for Soul Absorption real easy.

I don't think this stance would be unpopular.

I am sure there is someone who took Black Hole and really liked it but I've never met that person but maybe heard a rumor of their existence, once.

Petrifying Gaze used to be a really good power. It got nerfed to hell. It's still functional as a basic hold to lock down 1 person but if they're a boss? Give it up and just damage them. Unless you and Fluffy stack your holds it's probably not happening. Fearsome stare and Darkest Night stacked are a better way to mitigate a boss.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Fade along with Shadowfall and Combat Jumping/Hover with APP/PPP Defense armor should be enough for you.

Using Power Boost (Primal Forces) in conjunction with Fade will provide ~+10% Defense(all). You can also take the S/L Resist toggle on top of this. It's tough to justify taking a pool that only provides a marginally larger amount of S/L-only Defense.

But again Dark Miasma is still perfectly playable and will keep your team mowing through groups... but Darkness Afinity goes to 11.

Dark Miasma is definitely better than just "playable." Even with Black Hole being kind of a throwaway power, Dark Miasma is one of the best support sets in the game, right up there with Kinetics, Radiation Emission, and Time Manipulation. But like you say, Dark Affinity takes a 9/10 support set and turns it into an 11/10 one.

Using Power Boost (Primal Forces) in conjunction with Fade will provide ~+10% Defense(all). You can also take the S/L Resist toggle on top of this. It's tough to justify taking a pool that only provides a marginally larger amount of S/L-only Defense.

I didn't think Power Boost worked with any power that allows for +res?

It's not supposed to work on any power with enhanceable +Resistance, but someone missed adding that flag to Fade. Which means any Damage buffs on you should also boost the amount of +Resistance Fade gives.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

It's not supposed to work on any power with enhanceable +Resistance, but someone missed adding that flag to Fade. Which means any Damage buffs on you should also boost the amount of +Resistance Fade gives.

Interesting. I've got to track that so I can see the changes real time. Thanks for the info.

Also thanks for carrying the torch for Trick Arrow still. I love that damned set, just wish it got a little attention.

I'm loving it overall. But if I had to pick one power to be the MVP, it's Soul Absorption. Well slotted it will keep your team healed and in end for the entire time. I use it a fair bit even on solo mobs like AVs, where the +end really outshines the +regen.

It may be a little bit too powerful, if I'm honest.

I used to LOVE Rad as a secondary, but my earth/dark is now my fav character.  Soul Absorption, from my experience, is better regen then Speed Boost or AM in terms of numbers.  I know that SB and AM both have additional benefits. 

Power Boosted/Fade, Soul Absorption, a strong heal, extra pet (with a heal, and more -tohit)...the set is very strong and I'm loving it!

Only thing I dislike about it is that Fade seems to give an annoying flickering graphic effect to everyone.  I don't remember it doing that on live though, so I wonder if it is just a bug or graphical glitch that I'm getting.  Not sure if anyone else has that issue with it?

Even beyond that, in general it is another case of I wish there was a minimal graphic version that doesn't turn everyone in my team into looking like a wraith.  I'm not a fan of forcing such a big change on other people's looks (just like I didn't like turning everyone into an ice cube with /cold).

Only thing I dislike about it is that Fade seems to give an annoying flickering graphic effect to everyone.  I don't remember it doing that on live though, so I wonder if it is just a bug or graphical glitch that I'm getting.  Not sure if anyone else has that issue with it?

Even beyond that, in general it is another case of I wish there was a minimal graphic version that doesn't turn everyone in my team into looking like a wraith.  I'm not a fan of forcing such a big change on other people's looks (just like I didn't like turning everyone into an ice cube with /cold).

I get the flicker as well.  My main issue is that it makes you look like you have some stealth when really you don't.  It has caused myself to think I could get closer to a mob...big mistake.  I wish it just did the eye effect and that was it. 

Yep, that's my issue with it too. Also I'd like to see the actual stealth fog with a more minimal graphic version.

The explanation for what fade does is partially shift you into another dimension hence the faded look...

I love /dark on controller but I need some advice

So big question, is /Dark overkill at 50+ or is just not good enough def and res to skip barrier. I am really torn Earth/Dark feels right  but I am not at top lvl yet and I am reading it might be overkill. =/

Here are my concerns Barrier from Destiny incarnate makes all my def and res power  overkill. On the other hand I can cap all def and 3 res with out barrier freeing up clarion  to be the incarnate. Not being cap at all res, will that kill me literally  does /Dark cut it 50+??