Selling Billboard space

I noticed there are billboards in the game.  Would it be possible to actually sell that space to companies for in game advertisement?  Instead of a billboard for "Up and Away Burger" it would be for "In and Out burger".  That could help pay for servers and now license fees.  Thoughts?  

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, chopnstabn said:

I noticed there are billboards in the game.  Would it be possible to actually sell that space to companies for in game advertisement?  Instead of a billboard for "Up and Away Burger" it would be for "In and Out burger".  That could help pay for servers and now license fees.  Thoughts?  

The advertisement space never really took off.

It was repurposed on live years ago for the in-game ads for things like Clanket, etc.

Unsure if the controls for this system are even functional at this point, or if they're hard-coded effects.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Even filling all the ads in-game would not get enough views to be worth potentially losing that revenue, should the game become even slightly dependent upon it, if said advertiser(s) threaten to pull them should they not like how the devs or even a segment of the players behaved in or out of game...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

As if our lives aren't already filled with enough adverts to choke a proverbial brontosaurus... 

More likely the nearest instance of Unicron...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Lead Game Master
2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

The advertisement space never really took off.

It was repurposed on live years ago for the in-game ads for things like Clanket, etc.

Unsure if the controls for this system are even functional at this point, or if they're hard-coded effects.

I seem to recall that the code for this was either removed, or locked down, early on.

In either case, OP, while we GMs don't normally make a habit of trying to shut down people's ideas, I feel as though I should take this opportunity to assure you (and everyone else) that this sort of thing is not needed. Our financial needs are met by monthly donations, and our donation target each month is often reached within a day, if not just a few hours. Still, we appreciate the thought behind it!

• Thumbs Up 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

39 minutes ago, FupDup said:

Wouldn't this kind of thing piss off our NCSoft overlords, and possibly get this place shut down? Let's not risk that. 

Even if it didn't, I wouldn't want to be beholden to some advertisers, who may threaten to pull their support should there be one too many spicy characters or should some high-profile player get into trouble or have some controversial take on some other site./platform... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chopnstabn said:

1. No, given how we're run.

2. No, they did that on live and not only was it reviled by the playerbase but it didn't go particularly well - I think we had a total of three ads (which were *everywhere,* it was obnoxious) and was eventually quietly dropped.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.