Suggestion: Ouroboros available at level 1 instead of 15.

First I will acknowledge that reaching level 15 is not a big hurdle so this suggestion does not have a huge weight to it.

With how we outlevel contacts and can be shut off from finishing arcs it would be nice to have this option straight away. It is not a big deal regardless so it is a suggestion only.

41 minutes ago, Sovera said:

With how we outlevel contacts and can be shut off from finishing arcs

The XP lock exists and already solves this problem, plus it's all but trivial to reach lvl 15.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

16 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

The XP lock exists and already solves this problem, plus it's all but trivial to reach lvl 15.

Not everyone wants to lock their XP.

33 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Not everyone wants to lock their XP.

The tool already exists to prevent outleveling contacts.  If someone chooses not to use that tool, they can live with the consequences of their choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

7 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

The tool already exists to prevent outleveling contacts.  If someone chooses not to use that tool, they can live with the consequences of their choice.

Well, okay, but since you're a dev you should think not everyone will play the same way as you do and you want to think of other players playstyles, right?

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Well, okay, but since you're a dev you should think not everyone will play the same way as you do and you want to think of other players playstyles, right?

Choosing a playstyle means inherently accepting the consequences of that choice.

If you're talking about getting to the Ouroboros zone at Level 1, you can already do that.  You just need someone to open a portal for you so you can go get the badge that gives you the travel power.

If you're talking about being able to run flashback missions—well, that really is a narrow level window.  You can't flash back to missions that are still in level range.  That's logical: you can't flash back to the present.  Since the first level range for flashback missions is 1-9, we're only talking about having to wait about five levels to do flashback missions.  And it's not like there's a lack of things to do in CoX during those five levels (or, as others have pointed out, just get those levels quickly).

People who want to be able to do flashback missions between levels 10 and 14 but don't want to pause XP to do those same missions before they outlevel them seems like kind of a niche market.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Darkneblade said:

They already changed to level 1 though... You just not get ouroboros portal power until someone opens up for you. (and climb that long ladder thing)

I went and checked and no, we can't do any missions at level 1 but we do get the  ourobouros portal at that level if someone opens the portal for them.

43 minutes ago, Zhym said:

If you're talking about getting to the Ouroboros zone at Level 1, you can already do that.  You just need someone to open a portal for you so you can go get the badge that gives you the4 travel power.

If you're talking about being able to run flashback missions—well, that really is a narrow level window.  You can't flash back to missions that are still in level range.  That's logical: you can't flash back to the present.  Since the first level range for flashback missions is 1-9, we're only talking about having to wait about five levels to do flashback missions.  And it's not like there's a lack of things to do in CoX during those five levels (or, as others have pointed out, just get those levels quickly).

People who want to be able to do flashback missions between levels 10 and 14 but don't want to pause XP to do those same missions before they outlevel them seems like kind of a niche market.

I'm not talking about the roleplay aspect of flashing back to the past to do missions. We out level low level arcs and are unable to finish them. This can be worked around via locking XP, but it's a leveling game so not many would want to block their leveling. That said I agree level 15 is not that far to level, but it is just a QoL thing for those who want to level and not outlevel a contacts in the admittedly narrow window from 1 to 15. Still, it's my suggestion to the devs and I'll let them sort it out if it has merit or not.

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Choosing a playstyle means inherently accepting the consequences of that choice.

That's a dev's prerogative to do or not. Don't try to inflate your self worth making it seem like you have any influence by barging in with your muddy shoes and say no to a suggestion as if your opinion was the linchpin. This is the suggestion forum from players to the devs, without our suggestions they would not know what players might want in the game. This infantilization of the dev team as if they were hapless naive babies that need the big strong elite players to protect them from bad suggestions is as silly as it is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

I ran into a circumstance where I wanted a low level contact I could not get, and couldn't get the arc through Ouroborous , despite getting the portal unlocked by myself (no help needed). I waited until I was level 15.

39 minutes ago, Sovera said:

That's a dev's prerogative to do or not. Don't try to inflate your self worth making it seem like you have any influence by barging in with your muddy shoes and say no to a suggestion as if your opinion was the linchpin. This is the suggestion forum from players to the devs, without our suggestions they would not know what players might want in the game. This infantilization of the dev team as if they were hapless naive babies that need the big strong elite players to protect them from bad suggestions is as silly as it is ridiculous.

This is a player discussion forum, and other players are allowed to weigh in with their questions and comments on suggestions made here.

53 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I went and checked and no, we can't do any missions at level 1 but we do get the  ourobouros portal at that level if someone opens the portal for them.

I'm not talking about the roleplay aspect of flashing back to the past to do missions. We out level low level arcs and are unable to finish them. This can be worked around via locking XP, but it's a leveling game so not many would want to block their leveling. That said I agree level 15 is not that far to level, but it is just a QoL thing for those who want to level and not outlevel a contacts in the admittedly narrow window from 1 to 15. Still, it's my suggestion to the devs and I'll let them sort it out if it has merit or not.

Suggestion and Feedback

AND Feedback

Between players and devs should they choose to be part of the conversation

You have the right to respond CONSTRUCTIVELY to an idea.

If you don’t like it, no problem.  Just say “I don’t like it”.  You don't have to say why if you don’t want to.  If you have a reason why you don’t like it, please tell us why.  Focus your response on the idea, not the person. 

And yes, there are times where Assume Good Faith fails.  If you suspect anyone who is in this camp after several attempts to ask questions to direct the conversation towards a productive discussion (e.g.: trolling, baiting, abusive posts, etc.) you don’t need to reply any further.  In fact, the less people who respond to such posts, the faster it fades in the forum as active and recent discussion will overtake it.  You can vote with silence, so to speak.  (This also works for “dead horses”.  Silence will make the thread fall in visibility.)

If you’ve seen the idea before, we prefer if you discuss the idea in the more recent thread instead of “necroing” a post that folks have forgotten about.  You can say you disagree with an idea, but when your most recent reply from yesterday is for a thread that was made in May 2019 it’s probably a waste of everyone’s time.  (Hindsight being 20/20 and all… no pun intended for the past year.)

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

We out level low level arcs and are unable to finish them

No, you can't. Once you start an arc, you can finish it even if it was somehow locked at level 1 and you got to level 50 before you finished it. As long as you start the arc, which you can tell by whether or not the book icon is assigned to the contact or not, the game lets you finish it no matter what level you are. (Edit: And if you are for some reason referring to the filler missions? Well, you can't do those through Ouroboros anyway.)

2 hours ago, Sovera said:
3 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

That's a dev's prerogative to do or not.

I'm not following your rebuke here. It is the player's choice how they play, and there are consequences for those choices. Player wants to level lock to do something? Consequence is not progressing in levels. Player wants to run at double XP? Consequence is a lot of content gets missed unless the player does Flashbacks to do them. Player plays at normal XP gain? Consequence is having to be mindful to get the arcs the player wants.

20 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

I could see dropping it to level 5 (since you can't run missions in ouro that are in your level range) 

Of course, standard code rant applies.

Then it would need to be level 10 since all contacts in the starter range are 1-9 in Oruoboros.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just as an aside:

You do NOT need someone to open an Ouro portal for you.  You can 

1. Enter City Hall and proceed to RV
  2. Enter RV.  You do not need to go anywhere (like into the zone beyond the base and risk PvP)  Congratulations you have interacted with the time stream, flow what when ever and have the necessary access to Ouroborous.  An O-portal will have appeared in your powers.
  3. Enjoy.

It's been quite few new characters since I learned this and only one has used someone else's O-portal as it got all but dropped on my new lvl 2's head.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1