Non-Plant primary for /Poison

HiddenWings

Greetings! I'm one of the many players looking to really get into this game, I actually tried homecoming several years ago but didn't get very far.

After discovering the poison powerset, and trying to figure out what I want to do with it, I'm relatively sure I want to play a controller, and I'm unsure ow what primary to go with. I see people like pairing this with Plant Control, but my main is already a Plant Dominator so I'd like to do something else. The character is fairly flexible in concept (a bug-themed character, if you're curious) and the ones that stand out to me at the moment are:

Electric: Has another PBAoE Aura, Confuses seem to go well with poison, extreme lockdown might go well with not dying.

Illusion: This looks hilarious and fun, but I'm not entirely sure I understand it. Temporary damage seems weird, but phantom army sure has the right look. Do people run the invis powers with this?

Fire: Has the damage, but I'm not sure if I know enough to solve endurance. I'm also wondering if this one is as useful if I end up playing with some of my friends.

Darkness: Has the synergy with the accuracy debuffs, but none of the powers really excite me. Other than having an extra pet, what does this bring?

Symphony: This one DOES look exciting, but I'm concerned that all of the cones don't play well with "keep things in the poison aura".

Edited by HiddenWings

Below is a potential build template for an illusion / poison / psi controller. She's quite sturdy, at least for a controller, and phants love all the enemy debuffs that poison offers. 

The build focuses quite a bit on global recharge to keep phants out as much as possible and to drop the proc'd up poison trap as often as possible. I didn't take phantasm to make knockback easier to manage. YMMV for these and other build choices. 

Edit: Temporary damage basically means that you want to focus fire on mobs until they're down because defeating an enemy makes temporary damage done to them permanent. That may oversimplify at least a little. But, it's a helpful idea to keep in mind. Also, spectral terror is a really good AOE control power in most situations. Even when the fear effect doesn't work the -to hit debuff it puts on enemies will usually still help. 

I tend to take group invisibility because buffing teammates when possible and giving them invisibility tends to help team performance. If you're building for global recharge then group invisibility can be perma and it can serve as an adequate replacement in most situations for superior invisibility. So, I usually skip superior invisibility. Others take superior invisibility and skip group invisibility. Others take both. Any of these choices can make good sense according to what content you tend to run and what you'd like to do with your illusion controller.

Tainted Dreams - Controller (Illusion Control - Poison - Psi Mastery).mbd

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 2

I've done Elec / Poison / Earth to 50. It's a funny one. No one huge control, more layering lots of controls on top of one another. Definitely wouldn't solo it but if you're teaming with mates (like I did a bit with it) it can be fun. 

I've rerigged my build slightly here for you. Damage is meh outside the Epics so maybe you want something with Arcane Bolt fitted in instead. I've tested Procs in Jolted Chain and came to the conclusion that sadly they're pretty meh in there. 

Definitely not a top-tier controller but entertaining enough. Be aware that the Gremlins are as thick as Imps, if not more so. 

Controller - Elec Control - Poison New.mbd

• Like 3

I've got an Illusion/Poison/Stone. It can solo AVs if you're so inclined. As with most Illusion controllers, the goal is to have enough global recharge for Phantom Army to be permanent. I use Superior Invisibility but Group Invisibility is just a LotG mule.

Uunseen - Controller (Illusion Control).mbd

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 1/19/2024 at 12:30 AM, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Below is a potential build template for an illusion / poison / psi controller...

Interesting, and thank you for the additional clarifications. PA does seem like an interesting skill, and thanks for the advice on invis.

1 hour ago, Frosticus said:

Earth/poison works very well. 

And can be quite thematic! I may have childishly gone the stinky poop route with mine lol

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Dark/Poison is a very strong combination - works well in both PVE and PVP and can take out some very tough opponents

Earth/Poison is also potent, with an ability to lock down large mobs while you pick off the worst offenders relatively quickly. As @TygerDarkstorm says it does lend itself to schoolboy humour as my toon from live "Stool" will attest to.

I would also imagine that Ice/Poison would work exceptionally well - but balanced by extreme end issues, but the caveat there is I've never tried it.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Dark/Poison is a very strong combination - works well in both PVE and PVP and can take out some very tough opponents

Earth/Poison is also potent, with an ability to lock down large mobs while you pick off the worst offenders relatively quickly. As @TygerDarkstorm says it does lend itself to schoolboy humour as my toon from live "Stool" will attest to.

I would also imagine that Ice/Poison would work exceptionally well - but balanced by extreme end issues, but the caveat there is I've never tried it.

Ooooohhh, I'm going to have to try Dark/Poison sometime.

I've had some minor survivability issues on my Earth/Poison after getting Venemous Gas, but I think that comes down a lot to needing to work on her slotting and playstyle (she's level 33). But considering how slow Earth can feel, Poison seems to give it some much needed help in that department by weakening foes. Might have to go give mine some love again, lol.

But yeah, hard to avoid the poopy theme, lol. The below is what I went with:

horse-apples.png

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

5 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Dark/Poison is a very strong combination...

You do seem to post about this one quite a bit, and the -ToHit seems useful. How does this do for damage, and does it have to go as hard into recharge as illusion does?

On 1/19/2024 at 2:37 AM, HiddenWings said:

After discovering the poison powerset, and trying to figure out what I want to do with it

Other than using a plant set with poison, the only other route that I have taken is with zombie/poison or ninja/poison masterminds.

Honestly, on the masterminds, that's more for fun ... to be thematic. Poison isn't the easiest set to use with mastermind pets.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

32 minutes ago, HiddenWings said:

You do seem to post about this one quite a bit, and the -ToHit seems useful. How does this do for damage, and does it have to go as hard into recharge as illusion does?

I do and thanks for noticing.

Damage is good for a controller, I'd say it's up there especially on single targets where Poison comes into its own but that's from my "seat of pants" expertise, I've got no empirical data. It is one of the most fun sets to play IMO.

Recharge isn't an issue. Because the primary pet is a summon and forget there's no need to aim for perma- anything, so when constructing a build I make no special provision for it.

As an aside, back on Live EU servers, a Thugs/Poison MM was considered to be one of the best AV killers in game given that Poison does so much debuff to single target foes and the pets (especially Gang War) allowed the Player to remain relatively unhurt

Edited by Scarlet Shocker
aside

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I have several high end poison toons. Poison as a controller works well with anything in melee. To that effect I had a blast pairing it with electric control. Lots of layering with debuffs between sapping envenom/weaken/venomous gas. It just works. It does require a modicum of defense and clarion radial (for mez protection and also power boost effect).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HiddenWings said:

This thread is convincing me that I need to mess with Illusion/ and Dark/, even if it doesn't end up being on this character.

They're fantastic primaries.  Just be aware that Illusion is a late bloomer whereas Dark is pretty strong from the get go.

I was dabbling on a Mind/Poison last night. Only low level but very potent. Psi powers are very poorly resisted by mobs, same as Poison so there's a kind of double whammy and there's a few single target powers there for better effect.

2 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Psi powers are very poorly resisted by mobs

Not true. Psi damage is heavily resisted by robots and other mechanical foes. There are very few factions that are actually weak to psi damage (Cabal, Clockwork, CoT spirits). Mind Control attacks are poorly defended by mobs since they only check against typed defense and have no positional vectors . (This is not true of Psi Blast attacks.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

35 minutes ago, Uun said:

Not true. Psi damage is heavily resisted by robots and other mechanical foes. There are very few factions that are actually weak to psi damage (Cabal, Clockwork, CoT spirits). Mind Control attacks are poorly defended by mobs since they only check against typed defense and have no positional vectors . (This is not true of Psi Blast attacks.)

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.

my Main is an Ilusion / Poison, and hell i solo all GMs, and  AVs with him,

The fun  is that the army draws agro and your invis has reduced agro, so as soon as you have Phantom Army perma, youre not getting attacked anymore.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:33 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I was dabbling on a Mind/Poison last night. Only low level but very potent. Psi powers are very poorly resisted by mobs, same as Poison so there's a kind of double whammy and there's a few single target powers there for better effect.

Here is my Mind/Poison Build. I have fun.

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Mind Control

Secondary Power Set: Poison

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Force of Will

Power Pool: Concealment

Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

------------

Level 1:                 Levitate              

(A) Gladiator's Javelin - Accuracy/Damage/End/Rech: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Javelin - Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

Level 1:                 Envenom            

(A) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Accuracy/Defense Debuff: Level 30

(*) Shield Breaker - Defense Debuff/Endurance/Recharge: Level 30

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

Level 2:                 Dominate           

(A) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure (Accuracy/Damage) Level 53

(*) HamiO:Peroxisome Exposure (Damage/Mezz) Level 53

(*) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

(*) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative): Level 50

Level 14:              Weaken Resolve            

(A) HamiO:Lysosome Exposure (Accuracy / -Defense / -ToHit) Level  53

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

Level 6:                 Confuse              

(A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion: Level 50

Level 8:                 Mass Hypnosis

(A) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Sleep/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Accuracy/Sleep/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Fortunata Hypnosis - Chance for Placate: Level 50

(*) Call of the Sandman - Chance of Heal Self: Level 50

Level 10:              Boxing 

(A) Gladiator's Strike - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50+5

Level 12:              Mighty Leap      

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points): Level 50

Level 14:              Wall of Force    

(A) HamiO:Centriole Exposure (Damage/Range)Level  53

(*) D-Sync: Guidance (Accuracy/Range) Level 53

(*) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 50

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage(Fire): Level 50

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 20

Level 16:              Elixir of Life       

(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All): Level 50

Level 18:              Total Domination           

(A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Mezz/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage: Level 50

Level 20:              Tough  

(A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP: Level 50

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 22:              Terrify 

(A) HamiO:Centriole Exposure (Damage/Range)Level  53

(*) Bombardment (Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge): Level 50

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage(Fire): Level 50

(*) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 50

(*) Glimpse of the Abyss - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

Level 24:              Paralytic Poison              

(A) Ghost Widow's Embrace - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Neuronic Shutdown - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 30

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance for Smashing Damage: Level 50

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage(Lethal): Level 50

Level 26:              Mass Confusion              

(A) Cacophany - Chance of Damage(Energy): Level 30

(*) Malaise's Illusions - Chance of Damage(Psionic): Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - RechargeTime/Energy Font: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Endurance/RechargeTime: Level 50

(*) Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

Level 28:              Weave

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage: Level 50

(*) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All): Level 50

(*) Shield Wall - Defense: Level 50+5

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 30:              Poison Trap       

(A) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Hold/Recharge: Level 50+5