Suggestions for a solo flying blaster

Sirrocco

So... I tried out flying on a tanker, and that was clearly a mistake.  It seems clear now that fliers ought to be primarily ranged attackers.  I generally play solo, which leaves me not particularly excited about defenders or corrupters, and I really dislike the Sentinel inherent vulnerability power, for reasons I can't adequately explain, but not using it feels like just leaving power on the table, which is also feelsbad.  So... blaster.  I suppose it's time to try a blaster.

I've looked through the secondaries, and I think I like the idea of devices.  It seems like it's relatively heavy on the persistent self-buffs, and that's a real plus for me.  I'm concerned that it might clash with the flying part, though, if it requires contact with the ground for too many of its powers... and flying was the whole point of the character.  Does anyone have any insights on this?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for primary?  Again, this is for a character who's pretty much pure solo, and who wants to be flying and at range as much as possible.  This is also for relatively low-level play (Seriously, I've created and discarded tons of characters, and haven't yet broken lvl 20 on any of them.  I mostly just want to get the feel of the "flying blaster" experience) and relatively low money (again, haven't yet broken level 20).

My hover-blaster is Water / Temporal and works nicely. Water self-heals in attack chain + Temporals constantly rejigging Absorb makes you tanky and Tidal + Chronos + Geyser is always fun. 

My only Devices is a pure "in your face" Rad / Devices who likes dropping trip mines so can't help there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Both my level 50 tanks use flight, it's not impossible.  Hell I also chose powersets that don't like to fly but still made them work (Fiery Aura and Titan Weapon both have very good powers that need to be grounded to use (Burn and Arc of Destrucrion)).  I also have a couple flying Scrappers that work; Flight and Savage Leap/Shield Charge feels like i'm dive-bombing targets.

If you want to stay primarily at range and airborne, may I point to Energy Manipulation.  One of the powers of the set is just a temporary range bonus that gives you the power to hit things from another time zone and is very easy to make perma'd.  It also stacks with the range bonus from your sniper attack and Clarion if you go that route.  For primaries I find the best to keep your distance are Archery, Assault Rifle, Beam Rifle, Ice, and Water as none of these sets have PBAoEs while maintaining solid AoE capabilities (though I can't recall if Geyser needs to be used on the ground).

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Psi/energy blaster with hover/fly and teleport with 2 +5 range IOs in there, for those times when you absolutely have to be the first one to the door.

Energy manipulation has boost range, and psi blast has the longest range attacks in the game, so that set up makes it so you'll be picking off targets at maximum render distance and they have to come closer to you to even attack. You'll be floating around, and tp allows a quick reposition as well.

I had a pretty good time with a Beam/Devices solo flier on its way to 50. Took Force Mastery for the panic button of PFF and the hilarity that is Repulsion Field. Been meaning to circle back and figure out a real build for him though ... maybe for page 7.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

8 hours ago, Sirrocco said:

So... I tried out flying on a tanker, and that was clearly a mistake.  It seems clear now that fliers ought to be primarily ranged attackers.  I generally play solo, which leaves me not particularly excited about defenders or corrupters, and I really dislike the Sentinel inherent vulnerability power, for reasons I can't adequately explain, but not using it feels like just leaving power on the table, which is also feelsbad.  So... blaster.  I suppose it's time to try a blaster.

I've looked through the secondaries, and I think I like the idea of devices.  It seems like it's relatively heavy on the persistent self-buffs, and that's a real plus for me.  I'm concerned that it might clash with the flying part, though, if it requires contact with the ground for too many of its powers... and flying was the whole point of the character.  Does anyone have any insights on this?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for primary?  Again, this is for a character who's pretty much pure solo, and who wants to be flying and at range as much as possible.  This is also for relatively low-level play (Seriously, I've created and discarded tons of characters, and haven't yet broken lvl 20 on any of them.  I mostly just want to get the feel of the "flying blaster" experience) and relatively low money (again, haven't yet broken level 20).

1.  I have a flying small-sized fairy Titan Weapon Brute that I tank with and it constantly hovers - it is doable and possible - and to me, FUN!  It may not be your thing, but it is doable - just takes some getting used to.

2.  If you've  never gotten a character over lvl 20 - then you really do not know what your character is capable of.  Mid-late 20s they are just beginning to feel their capabilities.  Most characters start getting good in their 30s and 40s.  You really need to give your toons more time to shine.

3.  /Devices is great for hover blasting.  You get Gun Drone which hovers and flies with you and does a good deal of damage.  It also has a small taunt component to help keep mobs off you.  With enough Global recharge, you can have 2 out perma (and if you go extreme recharge, when teamed and speed boosted by someone else, you can have 3 perma).  

Solo - you will want to land occasionally to set up your ambush.  Drop a few trip mines, caltrops, and then you can hover again to pull your foes into your trap and finish them off.  

When teamed - you will rarely get to use your trip mines as mobs will die before you can set them up.  You can "toe-bomb" with them, but it's slow.  They are great for known spawn points to set up ahead of time for ambushing.  You'll be relying on Gun Drone mostly in team situations.

My favorite is my Archery/Devices hover blaster.  But pretty much everything pairs with it.  

On 2/9/2024 at 3:00 AM, Sirrocco said:

Fire/fire is fun

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1

energy/energy is fun! And keeps enemies away from you!

403225744_orig.jpg

could go with some radiation/radiation

il_570xN.1980349266_rj9f.jpg

Dual pistol/super reflexes?

Energy/willpower?

green-lantern-6-adam-strange.jpg

Storm/electric?!

039stm_com_inl_03_0.jpg

Energy/Invulnerability 

marvel_avengers_a_day_prologue.jpg

Now I'm not saying to copy these characters.

What I'm showing is a bunch of different examples of cool power sets that would be fun to play.

Pretty much any combination is fun to play if you create a character conception behind it and play with that character conception in mind.

But then... I am a character conception player ... and I'm not at all concerned about mini-maxing ...

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I have an ele/temp that i made as a joke to outshine Sentinels.  Great toon, fully ranged.  Okay dps, but nothing outstanding for a Blaster.  I have a beam rifle/temp that i use on incarnate leagues for dps. Also pure hover bkaster. Great ST, meh aoe

my dark dark brute has fly in 100% time.  

everything is possible, some things work better than others

I'm really loving my fire/temporal blaster. I'm like 41..ish, and she's so strong. I am thankful that I was able to deck her out with good IOs, so others experience might vary. Fire DPS is amazing, and temporal gives great buffs, debuffs, heals, etc. 

I don't have a ton of experience with all the other ability sets, but I'm really happy with my choice so far.

You will want something with -hp regen%... Like Beam Rifle.  My first 50 Blaster was Beam/Dev (which i loved), followed up with a Beam/Temp... which is even better. stacking the regen debuff goes a long way on EBs and AVs, plus it fits hover blaster like a glove.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 6:43 AM, The_Traveler said:

You will want something with -hp regen%... Like Beam Rifle.  My first 50 Blaster was Beam/Dev (which i loved), followed up with a Beam/Temp... which is even better. stacking the regen debuff goes a long way on EBs and AVs, plus it fits hover blaster like a glove.

Are there other sets that offer -regen? I'm not by the computer to look.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:00 AM, Sirrocco said:

I suppose it's time to try a blaster.

Try ice or dark blast.  I very much like devices.  If you want a bit extra durability/survivability, consider taking mystic flight instead of regular flight, so you can eventually get rune of protection.  You can change the look so as to get rid of the magical runes/glyphs if they're not to your liking and even get a free teleport out of it all.  While you will have to take an additional power to get said rune of protection power, consider this - if you do decide to go with devices, you can take enflame to make your gun drone be on fire!

You could also go with a sentinel, too.

Edited by biostem

Put the ATO in the best power for it to proc of the first three powers you can use while mezzed. I’m sure it’s mostly the t2 but not at computer at the moment. Don’t slot it for any added recharge. Usually 1-2 hits when mezzed and you’re out of it. Just damage/acc and the mez proc. Helps a ton. Not 100% effective but helps a lot. 

Could make a scrapper with claws, spines, or battle axe. Even battle axe gets a ranged attack now…cause why not? High enough recharge and only need 3/4 attacks anyway. 

9 hours ago, Unerring_Fool said:

Are there other sets that offer -regen? I'm not by the computer to look.

not in primary sets, but in secondaries you have drain psyche and then temp manipulation, both of which offer another 200%-ish to the debuff.  this basically totals you close to the main rad or dark debuffs for corruptor.  

If you go Corrupter, the secondaries open up to actual buff/debuff/heal sets, (like rad and dark both have a 500+% hp degen debuff or buff master Kinetics... then you can pick whatever primary you like) which fits because you are really just losing the blapper powers from secondary and gaining a lot in return since you are ranged anyway.  

sentinel is very forgiving, but hover blasting you are staying out of harms way for the most part (caves and offices defeat this tactic) so the defense sets just feel kinda selfish and funnel you into lower damage than a blaster but more self survivability.  Ninjitsu(def+invis+tricks)/SR(easy def capping)/Bio (good all around with +dmg and absorbs) feel good here, but like blaster beam rifle is the only primary with -hp regen debuff.  

dont let me sway you, it is just how i like to play.  i like the rifle powers, and i build my ranged chars in this type of way.   minions and Lts are whatever, so i focus on the boss and up game.  -hp regen is damage without attacking technically and scales the harder the mob.  sure i see smaller numbers, but that background -hp regen on AVs, GMs... low glory, highly effective.

• Thumbs Up 1

AR/MM Hover-Blaster is my go to. There will be those who point out that Drain Psyche has to be used in melee, but with a decent build you should only need the -regen from it if facing a hard target like an AV. It's also a fairly inexpensive build as you can easily fit 4 sets of Thunderstrike and 4 sets of Arsenal for that ranged Def. Also, AR got a revamp recently.

Edited by Mopery
Varmints.

What, me worry?

Anything will work. Blaster is a great AT. If you’re soloing, can consider sonic as well. You will get -resist to enemies, and also a lot of cc in the form of a knockback and sleep cone. 

I have one and really enjoy that combo. 

you won’t go wrong with any primary.