Best tank build for end content and 54x8

IUIXIUI

I have been involved in too many Tank discussions about “ what is toughest tank” and in the end the OP picks SR, Regen, or Fire.  It is maddening.  

Look, how well a Tank performs against different enemies at 54x8 and tougher is largely based on the interaction with Tanks various armors.  

A set like Invul that covers the classic Def/Res/Heal and can be built up is great.  I have a Dark that does well, but i built the crap out of it and understand it does not operate at all like normal armors. I play it smart and it does well, for me.  I have heard at least one person say it dies for them in regular content.

Even with the toughest Tank built near perfect once the enemies are dialed up you have to be proactive.   So, once you listen to all the advice and pick a Fire armor I wish you great luck.  Just play actively and play to win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

I have been involved in too many Tank discussions about “ what is toughest tank” and in the end the OP picks SR, Regen, or Fire.  It is maddening.  

Look, how well a Tank performs against different enemies at 54x8 and tougher is largely based on the interaction with Tanks various armors.  

A set like Invul that covers the classic Def/Res/Heal and can be built up is great.  I have a Dark that does well, but i built the crap out of it and understand it does not operate at all like normal armors. I play it smart and it does well, for me.  I have heard at least one person say it dies for them in regular content.

Even with the toughest Tank built near perfect once the enemies are dialed up you have to be proactive.   So, once you listen to all the advice and pick a Fire armor I wish you great luck.  Just play actively and play to win. 

My current page 7 Tanker is coming along nicely (only 32-ish atm). Not as easy as some of the stuff I've done and it did Yin's TF in one hour and a half which is incredibly bad (my best is 40 minutes to give context).

But at 32 I'm at the point I don't really need to tank much when I'm throwing so much AoE down that I've a spawn killed in the first seconds of combat.

I'm sort of tempted to re-do Yin's TF now I'm at 32 and got the whole 'kill the spawn in seconds' down pat with the accumulated slots from the last levels just to get a real benchmark since doing it at max level while all geared is just not the same....

Hmm, yes, I'll do it tomorrow, it'll be all XP and merits anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sovera said:

My current page 7 Tanker is coming along nicely (only 32-ish atm). Not as easy as some of the stuff I've done and it did Yin's TF in one hour and a half which is incredibly bad (my best is 40 minutes to give context).

But at 32 I'm at the point I don't really need to tank much when I'm throwing so much AoE down that I've a spawn killed in the first seconds of combat.

I'm sort of tempted to re-do Yin's TF now I'm at 32 and got the whole 'kill the spawn in seconds' down pat with the accumulated slots from the last levels just to get a real benchmark since doing it at max level while all geared is just not the same....

Hmm, yes, I'll do it tomorrow, it'll be all XP and merits anyway.

just watch out when exemplaring.  your enhancer valures get squished and you may lose some set bonuses

Just now, Snarky said:

just watch out when exemplaring.  your enhancer valures get squished and you may lose some set bonuses

C'mon bro, this is me you're talking to 😄

• Haha 1

54 minutes, boo. Slow. But the new Council makes the old times moot now.

So... many... bosses... having to be killed a second time... It was bad enough with Freaks but now the Council do it too (more than before that is).

So I have no idea if it's really slow compared to my other builds or if it's just slow. I should run the old builds again, but ach, who has the patience for that.

• Haha 1

The toughest "all the time" is going to be Stone that lives in Granite that has IOs to shore up psi resist.

But *yawn*  

Invul would be better all around I would think.  

For damage, or exemplar there are better choices.

I'm making a Stone/Fire Melee since the Fire/Elec melee was not making me happy. And, ugh, it's annoying how I'm immortal and still doing good damage. I'm reached Yin and will try to get a time but I feel it will be on the ballpark of my Fire Armor builds while also casually immortal. Seriously, I had 40% defenses by Posi 2 (level 20, exemped to 16, with amplifiers). The poor mobs barely touched me.

By Yin I've 43% and not finished slotting and the only time the HP dipped was when I pulled two spawns.... and the kill speed is about the same.

UGH.

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I'm making a Stone/Fire Melee since the Fire/Elec melee was not making me happy. And, ugh, it's annoying how I'm immortal and still doing good damage. I'm reached Yin and will try to get a time but I feel it will be on the ballpark of my Fire Armor builds while also casually immortal. Seriously, I had 40% defenses by Posi 2 (level 20, exemped to 16, with amplifiers). The poor mobs barely touched me.

By Yin I've 43% and not finished slotting and the only time the HP dipped was when I pulled two spawns.... and the kill speed is about the same.

UGH.

Stone/Fire does sound like it’d be very beastly.

Ugh... The Stone/Fire did it in 58 minutes while in complete immunity. I can't guide myself with the old times with the changes to council (sometimes 2 bosses transform per spawn, nearly always one, and it adds up), but only 4 minutes slower than the Fire/Elec despite the big nuke in Lightning Rod.

So sad...

... I might become a Stone Armor guru instead 😛

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vulgaris said:

I'm mildly surprised willpower hasn't been mentioned a single solitary time. I've heard people murmer that it was basically "The new invul" and "Tanker's Regeneration"

I’ve had this thought as well. That being said, being a jack of all trades, master of none can sometimes make it a bit more difficult in the focused HM/4* content where you can plan on covering your one big hole, rather than a few minor ones. Also, WP completely lacks DDR.

On the flip side though, it is one of the few sets that provides terrorize protection. I think it has a tougher time solo, but (theoretically) I imagine it could be an absolute monster with the right team behind it for the HM stuff. When you have barriers going off and people are buffing your defense and resists to the gills, I imagine Willpower’s HUGE regen would allow it to shine.

Edited by StriderIV
Spelling

Ah, Willpower.

Agree with everything said about HM content (and add +4/8 ITFs and tanking LR, without Ageless DDR and/or support), but my WP/Fire tank PL'd my first farmer (Spines/FA) and cruises in farms of all types and 98% of all other content.  Middling defense, middling resists, monstrous regen.  The not so distant past buff to Fiery Melee made him even better and more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present