Quick Form Snipes. Bleh.

Acrizer

1 minute ago, Greycat said:

I want *range,* which is the *point* of a snipe. Not "OMG I need another power I can use at shorter ranges for moah DPS in a powerset type that's nothing but DPS!" I don't know of any other game where someone looks at a sniper and goes "OMG, they need to be right up front and in close range to use their abilities!"

If you are in combat and using your other attacks, the extra range of the snipe is useless on those targets. And....

4 minutes ago, Greycat said:

I can sit *out* of range and take out troublesome mobs *before they're troublesome.*

...if there are still targets in range to be fought, something at snipe range almost certainly isn't aggroed on you or your party. Otherwise it would not be sitting there waiting to be sniped. But I suppose there is some reason for, "Oh wait, hold on...going to ignore all the guys here fighting my party so I can snipe some guy down the hallway (and hope his death doesn't trigger his spawn to come running)."

8 minutes ago, Greycat said:

And I certainly have never had a team complain about "mah DPS" when I'm taking out troublesome mobs before they could affect the team (no DPS when you're held, or sapped of END, for instance) or pulling from a distance.

Most people are not relentlessly observing everyone on the team to see how efficient or not they are being. Its a kind of trust the other guy to be doing something useful thing and so long as they stay at a level where being less that optimal is not noticed, nobody cares. There is a fairly wide bit of latitude most people are willing to grant. "Oh, maybe he's hurt and trying to stay alive. Maybe that is why he is running away."

• 3 weeks later
On 4/23/2024 at 12:30 AM, Greycat said:

I want *range,* which is the *point* of a snipe. Not "OMG I need another power I can use at shorter ranges for moah DPS in a powerset type that's nothing but DPS!" I don't know of any other game where someone looks at a sniper and goes "OMG, they need to be right up front and in close range to use their abilities!"

IIRC, the Fast Snipe PVP piece does extend the range of the Snipe it is slotted in.

I will admit that I miss the long range of the Fast Snipe, because runners, but ultimately I find the Fast Snipe to be on average better that Slow Snipes when:

• The build has +ToHit, which boosts the damage up to +22% of the Fast Snipe
  • The build isn't "waiting around" for a Slow Snipe to recharge to use a single-target attack

It is of course possible to slot Snipes with Range (or Acc/Range, or Dam/Range) and to get +Range from enhancement sets.

1 hour ago, golstat2003 said:

A slow snipe IO is a great idea. 🙂 

I disagree. I've played with LRM Rocket and I HATE when I mistakenly use that as a Slow Snipe. It completely breaks up the flow of my attacks. I suspect that such a piece would be even less popular than the Experience Marksmen Range/Fast Snipe. When I want to use a slow Snipe, I simply wait until I'm out of combat.

4 hours ago, tidge said:

IIRC, the Fast Snipe PVP piece does extend the range of the Snipe it is slotted in.

But it's still shorter than the regular snipe.

For instance. Took a Dark Blast character into the Vanguard base. Backed up about as far as I can - 138 feet befor eI hit the wall. Default snipe range - 150 feet. Hit with no problem.

Slotted fast snipe. Didn't move. Couldn't hit the target. Out of range.

Finally could fire at 89 feet. Much closer (and closer to possible aggro) than the regular snipe. 

So, yes, it's "fast snipe/range," but it doesn't come *close* to making up for the lost range. It adds about 10 feet. But I *lose* 60 on Moonbeam.

5 hours ago, tidge said:

The build isn't "waiting around" for a Slow Snipe to recharge to use a single-target attack

Meanwhile I *do* have to "wait around" for fast snipe to *go away* so I can engage the target I want to use at range if I've been anywhere near combat.  Because, you know, dangerous single target that I want to clear *before engaging the others.* Thus... the long range and damage of a snipe.

Yes, I have always hated fast snipe since its introduction. Snipes should have been left alone - if you want the fast snipe, use the IO.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

7 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

A slow snipe IO is a great idea. 🙂 

Putting snipes back the way they were now that there's a fast snipe IO is even better  - I shouldn't have to slot to get my original functionality back - but I'd take a "perma slow snipe IO" if I had to.

• Like 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

Posted (edited)
On 2/23/2024 at 1:55 PM, FupDup said:

Since there's an IO that makes you always do quicksnipes, I think there should also be an IO that makes it always do the slow snipe even while "engaged."

Personally, I think it should be a settings option, not something you have to spend an enhancement slot for, but an enhancement set would be better than nothing.

Orrrr...  What if when you pick the power it actually gives you two powers, the quick and the slow snipe.  Kind of like how Fly also gives you Afterburner now.  But obviously this wouldn't be a contextual button like Afterburner.  Just more spitballing.

EDIT:  Two powers probably wouldn't work.  You certainly can't let them be independently enhancable, but how do you have enhancements to one affect the other?  That seems like it would be very complicated  Hrm.  An option seems to be the best approach to me now.  3 modes: Always Slow, Always Fast, Fast when in-combat.

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

• 2 weeks later

Sets like AR benefited from quicker sniper far more but AR has been reworked in general to be better with new ignite, faster full auto, faster flamethrower, etc.

The range was the perk with snipes and I think that might have to be revisited as some point even if it is with an IO set.