Hosting Hardships and Happiness

Diantane

I've been hosting teams since shortly after the emulator started. Do this nearly every day and for several hours straight (retired Vietnam Era Navy Vet). I run arcs  (storyline missions with merits and badges). I find them interesting. I always solo them before I host the first team so that I can learn the story.

Recruiting is something that you have to do constantly. This is because the the average player will do one to three missions and then take a break from the game for a few hours to days. Sometimes I get L50 vets that stay for the entire arc (even a long one like "Provost Marchland" which lasts 4-5 hours depending on the team). Generally run them at +3, but this is governed by the team. Some players complain that this is too high and that I should lower it. Then there are other players that say this is too low and I should raise it. You can tell when there are constant wipes or the team is "steamrolling."

Because of the recent update there are "a lot" of Arsenal Controllers and Dominators. If you're not careful, your team will have 4 to 6 of them. This never works as it takes too long to complete a mission (little to no DPS). After you say something like "LF3M" you can add whatever the team needs. Like LF3M - DPS or LF3M TANK or LF3M - HEALS. We call these teams PUG's or Pick Up Groups, but you do have some control on what you get.

As I have done some arcs over a hundred times, I get to know every part of them very well. Like warning the team that the next section has two groups. As soon as you enter the room there is one group right down the middle of the columns, but be careful as there is another group to the right just as you enter the room. Most "uneducated" teams will run straight for the center group and the other group comes from behind to wipe the team (this is on the Agent Watkins arc). There is another mission on Agent Watkins that is INSANE. The artificial intelligence of the critters are far different then other arcs/missions. There are 4-500 Freakshows in this mission (the second largest indoor map in the game (first is Atta in the Hollows)).  The last room usually wipes the team (except for me, because I know what to expect and hang back). Then I explain to everyone why this happened and ask if they would like to know how to beat it or let them try again on their own. 

SPOILER - This room has three levels or tiers. You walk in on the second level. If you stay there you will most likely die; as Freaks jump up from the bottom and jump down from the top and overwhelm the team. The secret is to run straight to the top level. From the entrance, turn right and run up the ramp. Then clear them out so they can't jump down. When you finish this level you'll come down a ramp to the second level platform. Do not stay there and fight as they are still jumping up from the bottom. Instead immediately run to the other side of the room (past the entrance) and get on the second level bridge. Then clear that level out. When you finish, run to the other side of the  room again and go down the ramp there to the bottom and work your way to the other side. Then click on the desk and the mission is complete! A few "bad: players will click on the desk to end the mission, but this kills the excitement and a lot of XP. Plus hospitalized players can't get back in to work off their debt.

Note: Lower level players will gain a few levels in this mission on double XP. Its like Frostfire on drugs - lol. I have done this at +4 several times if I play a defensive tank (didn't train a lot of the weak secondary attacks - just taunt) or a ForceField Defender If I play this defender we play every arc on +4 except Provost Marchland. The AV's are too hard even with a team full of L50 vets. We have tried and failed many times (even with P2W tools).

If you see a call for a team on "Look for Group" that has this format, you'll know it is me:

L32 BLUE 3/8 "Provost Marchland" Arc Team LF3M

See you ingame!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for how you run arcs ... may have run with you?

Also thank you for the heads up on Arsenal.

I am currently working on an Arsenal/Pain Troller and can attest to low DPS when there are multiple of us on a team.

/e poofgone

I pug for the utter randomness of it all, more times than not I've had phenomenal teams, whether phenomenally good or phenomenally bad, it's usually pretty fun.

That said, here's some wisdom from Robert Burns

"The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley..."

What, me worry?

On 2/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, Diantane said:

After you say something like "LF3M" you can add whatever the team needs. Like LF3M - DPS or LF3M TANK or LF3M - HEALS. We call these teams PUG's or Pick Up Groups, but you do have some control on what you get.

This is very useful guidance. 

I don't think I've ever done this. I'm not worried how long it takes to finish a mission or task force as the team composition rarely makes a huge difference on completion speed.

On 2/25/2024 at 1:08 PM, Diantane said:

Most "uneducated" teams will run straight for the center group and the other group comes from behind to wipe the team (this is on the Agent Watkins arc). There is another mission on Agent Watkins that is INSANE. The artificial intelligence of the critters are far different then other arcs/missions. There are 4-500 Freakshows in this mission (the second largest indoor map in the game (first is Atta in the Hollows)).  The last room usually wipes the team (except for me, because I know what to expect and hang back). Then I explain to everyone why this happened and ask if they would like to know how to beat it or let them try again on their own. 

I just point out that being a rush-in isn't always to best way to go.

The room that most comes to my mind on this Posi 1 part 4, when you go up the steps into the room with 4 mobs in it.

Someone generally rushes in and agros all 4 mobs.

It doesn't need to happen. Pulling a mob at a time onto the stairway goes much smoother, but then ... every 3-6 times - someone is going to rush up to the doors of City Hall on the final mission before the team is ready so ....

On 2/25/2024 at 8:32 PM, Mopery said:

I pug for the utter randomness of it all, more times than not I've had phenomenal teams, whether phenomenally good or phenomenally bad, it's usually pretty fun.

👍

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Someone generally rushes in and agros all 4 mobs.

It doesn't need to happen

God I love that room. But I temper my approach according to what I'm playing and who I'm with. 

But just going ham in there is so much fun. If I'm a well built mid 30s and with folk I know I'm zerging it. 

• Finland 1

I joined a team with the OP yesterday. It was part of Marchand's arc..the 2nd one. It was so funny to me. I zone in, and I know they're in the Brick's bank. So, I proceed down the stairs, and out the door and into the instanced block or two of Bricks and head into the bank. 

OP:  "How did you know to come here when it wasn't on the nav bar?" 
Me: I've done this once or twice before. 

I was laughing...and I almost typed out "Did you want me to exit and act like I have no idea where to go?" 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 1:22 PM, JasperStone said:

I am currently working on an Arsenal/Pain Troller and can attest to low DPS when there are multiple of us on a team.

I also made a arsenal/pain troller (Painful Control) on Excelsior. It worked pretty well, but when teams were not protected by themselves or others, I was mostly just a healer and had little time for control. That's why I made an arsenal/thermal (Thermal Artillery) so I could give the team some resistive defense as well as healing/buffs and debuff.

Edited by Diantane
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:22 PM, JasperStone said:

I'm currently hosting with 'Frostfire a ice/fire sentinel.

Led one team through the Hollows to Frostfire (got to level 19) yesterday evening.

Then led another team through the Striga Isle arcs (Peebles took most of the time),  By the time we got to Lars Hansen, I had out leveled the area. We only did a street mission and then Lars told me to take a hike (got to level 30 after 5.5 hours straight).

Next I will start Provost Marchland @+3 at about 6:45 pm EST today.

Hope to see ya and anyone else that wants to tag along,

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Update: Well that plan didn't come to fruition. There were no mid-level players online (well one controller). Just 50+ and a few lowbies. I'll try again tomorrow. My handle is "Diantane" on Excelsior