Hey, I didn't know this about Ninja Run!

temnix

I took this Prestige power, and it increased my running speed wonderfully and jumping height considerably, I thought. But it turns out that if I hold down the jump button with this power on, even without running, I rise and RISE into the air until I can dive into truly gigantic leaps. If I time it right, I can even jump again from the air just before touching the ground without taking any other power for double-jumping. I can even land with forward rolls. Control is very good, I always see where I'll be landing. And hopping along instead of simply running burns up distance. I could cross the biggest area in one, two minutes of non-stop vaulting. Together it is like Superjump and Superspeed combined, perhaps a little milder than either. It requires a bit of direction when descending, I kind of float down in the end of the jump, but that's fun.

It's a good power. Depending on your build the endurance cost may be a bit high during fights but you can toggle it off. You can boost your sprint and take Combat Jump out of the Leaping power pool then customize your move stance to Ninja and have the best of all worlds.

• Like 1

Ninja Run, Athletic Run, and Beast Run do the same thing, but holding down the jump key doesn't do what you say it does.   Are you turning on a Jump pack (or the Steam version) for your double jump effect?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

It might sort of look like a double-jump if you are hitting the jump key again just as it's doing the flip animation, but it's not really leaping again off the air.

And it's considerably slower than Superspeed or Super Jump for travel speed.  Though many people consider it "good enough" for getting around in exchange for not having to spend a power slot on a "real" travel power.

• Like 1

Some people (like me on some character) use Ninja/Athletic Run together with Surge/Glide or similar (depending on Theme of character) and then use a Hoverboard or Flying Carpet for Movement where you need flight.

Always pick Flight on my Defenders though!

12 hours ago, temnix said:

But it turns out that if I hold down the jump button with this power on, even without running, I rise and RISE into the air until I can dive into truly gigantic leaps.

Superjump does that also.  Your jump continues until you release the space bar, then you immediately start to descend.

If I time it right, I can even jump again from the air just before touching the ground without taking any other power for double-jumping.

Well, no.  It doesn't do that.

Together it is like Superjump and Superspeed combined, perhaps a little milder than either.

LOL.  I'm guessing you have not seen those powers in action.  Ninja Run is far slower - FAR slower.  That's what justifies having it be free.  It's a tremendously watered down substitute.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I have a Natural character or two that uses some kind of Sprint, Athletic Run, and Combat Jumping in lieu of a Travel power.

It's livable, and you can always park in the Shadow Shard or run Mayhem/Safeguards for temp jetpacks and such.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

When it first came out, I saw several people take Ninja Run as their only travel power.  It has a modestly good jump and run.  It won't cover great distances as quickly as the big guns, but it frees a space up for another power selection

All of my characters get Ninja Run.  I find it is just too useful, despite that weird one sticking out without a weapon (on many).  I have only one problem with it, and admittedly it is a big one:  I can't leave it on in a fight without it causing rapid endurance drain.  That's unfortunate, because it is very useful in a fight.  My Martial Arts scrapper, for instance, can really do some spectacular NR moves combined with combat, and I find the flow of combat is smoother.  So I leave it on in brief fights.  Other S.T.A.R.T. (formerly known as P2W) prestige travel powers are allowed to be slotted, and I've pitched the idea before in suggestions that it either get a single slot for an End Reduction enhancement or that it be tied to the functionality of sprint, benefiting with whatever you put in Sprint's enhancement slots. 

Basically if you want a slottable Ninja run it exists.  It is in the concealment pool and called infiltration.  It comes with free built in stealth as well.  It is actually just a tiny bit faster of a base speed than ninja and you can get it to nice speeds (80+mph is pretty common for me by the end) with slotting and other global set bonuses.  You can also slot a LoTG in it.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:54 PM, lemming said:

Ninja Run, Athletic Run, and Beast Run do the same thing, but holding down the jump key doesn't do what you say it does.   Are you turning on a Jump pack (or the Steam version) for your double jump effect?

On 3/1/2024 at 8:25 AM, DoctorDitko said:

I have a Natural character or two that uses some kind of Sprint, Athletic Run, and Combat Jumping in lieu of a Travel power.

It's livable, and you can always park in the Shadow Shard or run Mayhem/Safeguards for temp jetpacks and such.

Holding the jump button makes the character take off in a very slow vertical jump, or rather, rise, for a while. How high does a character rise? About treetop level. The jump doesn't begin yet. On the peak you push the forward button, and the character starts to vault down and forward. You keep the button down. Looking at distance meters, leaping forward at 45 degrees or so with this power instead of running along the ground burns distance almost twice as fast. And what is all this nonsense in this thread? Of course I know what I'm talking about. Of course I've seen Superjump and Superspeed. Maybe Superjump can put you on top of skyscrapers enhanced, I don't know, but by itself it is just at the level of five-storey buildings or so, and Ninja Run can do that, or almost. I have seen Superspeed too. It's faster than Ninja Run for running, but I doubt it's faster than its run-jump combination. And how effective is it? Well, I can leap on the monorail where it comes a little closer to the ground. And you know King Garment Works in Kings Row, the huge long factory on a terrace in the western part of the area? I can jump up to that level from the ground. In fact, if I'm not careful, I easily leap over it and the fence behind the street there and end up in a courtyard - from one leap.

There is also a trick to make wall tops help the jump. When you jump up against a high wall and reach the top, before you drop down again, lean forward on the wall, and it sort of propels you like a slingshot. This doesn't always work, and Ninja Run requires some finesse, but it's plenty enough for all my imaginable travel needs. (I have Hover for a little flying when push comes to shove.) As for jumping from the air, here you have to control it differently: instead of throwing yourself forward at 45 degree angles like a grenade, you skip along - let go of the jump button earlier, then you hit it again just before the character touches the ground, and away he skips again. But this is tiring to do consistently and not a substitute for a real double jump.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

That wall at King Garment Works is not a high leap.  You can do a standing jump with the three START runs to the top of that wall.

I have a few chars that don't have a travel power and just get around with that and sprint, plus a flight power for when needed.   None of those are faster than the actual travel powers.   You can get fairly fast and some AT power sets do give some movement bonuses, plus set.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

If you have a set that has a power like Quickness, you can reach SS speeds by running sprint and one of the free run powers.

Speed boost from Kinetics can definitely do it.

I'd have to double check if speed boost will do it, but Siphon Speed will only get you up to the 92.5 mph cap.  Superspeed gets up to a 120.24 cap.

So no, you're not getting to super speed max.

My casually slotted Electric brute can run around without a travel power at around 72 mph.   Screwing around on beta, I could see getting to that 92.5 cap with infiltration if you sink some slots into that.

1 hour ago, lemming said:

I'd have to double check if speed boost will do it, but Siphon Speed will only get you up to the 92.5 mph cap.  Superspeed gets up to a 120.24 cap.

So no, you're not getting to super speed max.

My casually slotted Electric brute can run around without a travel power at around 72 mph.   Screwing around on beta, I could see getting to that 92.5 cap with infiltration if you sink some slots into that.

I just tried it with a level 21 and it turned blue at 92.5, but if I remember right it goes up as I level.

Edited by Marshal_General

If you like bouncing around with Ninja Run, consider making a character with the Super Jump/Super Speed combo.  Running those together is just great fun... once you learn how to avoid every bus stop and powerline in the city.  🤣

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

I just tried it with a level 21 and it turned blue at 92.5, but if I remember right it goes up as I level.

No, they removed the level scaling some time ago.  Same patch that gave us infiltration.

Oh, and other than cosmetically, Ninja Run, Athletic Run, and Beast Run are identical.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:48 AM, Techwright said:

When it first came out, I saw several people take Ninja Run as their only travel power.  It has a modestly good jump and run.  It won't cover great distances as quickly as the big guns, but it frees a space up for another power selection

All of my characters get Ninja Run.  I find it is just too useful, despite that weird one sticking out without a weapon (on many).  I have only one problem with it, and admittedly it is a big one:  I can't leave it on in a fight without it causing rapid endurance drain.  That's unfortunate, because it is very useful in a fight.  My Martial Arts scrapper, for instance, can really do some spectacular NR moves combined with combat, and I find the flow of combat is smoother.  So I leave it on in brief fights.  Other S.T.A.R.T. (formerly known as P2W) prestige travel powers are allowed to be slotted, and I've pitched the idea before in suggestions that it either get a single slot for an End Reduction enhancement or that it be tied to the functionality of sprint, benefiting with whatever you put in Sprint's enhancement slots. 

Ninja Run, like all travel powers, is suppressed for several seconds after you make an attack.

A decent amount of movespeed IO bonuses,  combat jumping, and a few slots into sprint can do absolute wonders for your movement in combat though. This stands with ninja and athletic run, so out of combat you can move at comparable speeds as someone with a true travel power.

I also find it much more fun to traverse the cities this way, personally. Super jump feels weird and floaty, super speed is too fast for a lot of things...

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

13 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Super Speed actually increases run speed AND the run speed cap now.   So if you're not using SS you will cap at 92.5.  If you are, you will cap around 120ish somewhere.

15 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Super Speed actually increases run speed AND the run speed cap now.   So if you're not using SS you will cap at 92.5.  If you are, you will cap around 120ish somewhere.

If you actually slot it, but I generally just put the winter io unique in my travel power.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

If you actually slot it, but I generally just put the winter io unique in my travel power.

Right.  I was just commenting about why it "goes blue" at 92.5 if you are using something else like Siphon Speed.  

• Thumbs Up 1