Is anyone here that didn't play the game during Live service (2004-2012)?

I realize that the folks that lurk here probably skew older than even the current player base. I'm assuming that I'll get different answers on Discord or on /r/cityofheroes. According to this thread, we skew to around 50 years old and are mostly males.

I'm curious if the NCSoft licensing agreement and/or the updates in Issue 7 lured in any new players, players who are experiencing City of Heroes for the first time in 2024 (or late 2023).  If you're new, I'd love to know what drew you in.

Myself a number of people I know never played COH before 2019. We're relatively oldheads now I guess, since we started before the licensing agreement, but we're still not former live players.

• Like 4

My two boys (20 and 12) didn't play in any meaningful way before Homecoming. 

//Jack 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

On live I only played a bit during free trial periods and it was very early in the game's development (like before VEATs and a short time after). I've played way more HC on my first toon than on any of my live trial toons combined, and it felt like a whole new world with all of the shiny new stuff that got added after I stopped playing. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

4 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Would you believe that I owned a copy but never made it out of the character creator in the first eight years?

I have a friend who probably takes an hour in the creator every time he makes a character.

I'll be sure to tell him you hold the record!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, sbloyd said:

My daughter wasn't alive then, so...

That’s actually a great follow-up: how many of you have kids that play or even play with you? 

Edited by FFFF

11 hours ago, FFFF said:

That’s actually a great follow-up: how many of you have kids that play or even play with you? 

My daughter does, but she mostly creates characters, and we play Hide-and-Seek in Atlas Park.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

This should have been a poll.

Played since Beta on Live, although ducked out a few months here and there when RL intervened.  Then been back on pretty consistently since Homecoming.

Would be interested to see a poll of those who played on SCORE during the "secret wars" years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't! Just started last week and enjoying it so far, though the battle system is a bit rough. It's making me nostalgic for 2005 MMOs in a good way. I'm trying to drag my group of friends in who never played either, got 3 including me so far, might expand to another 3. We're all majorly late 20s~early 30s but got a few in their early 20s. Two of us wanted to play the game when it was live but missed out for one reason or another. Really cool to hear that a lot of y'all are older.
  • Thumbs Up 2

He/They
ezgif-3-629804d422.png

On 3/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, FFFF said:

My boys are too young to have played on the retail servers, beyond occasionally taking one of my characters and flying around.

Both of them do have Homecoming accounts. We even play CoH together occasionally.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 3/2/2024 at 8:08 PM, Jack Power said:

My two boys (20 and 12) didn't play in any meaningful way before Homecoming. 

//Jack 

To follow up. They play now! 🙂

//Jack

• Thumbs Up 1

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx