How old are we, as a playerbase?

RikOz

Older than anyone so far. Knocking on 50 when I was a launch player. 'Nuf sed.

I recall establishing that the early Live player base was heavy on 35's or so and tended older than that. Not a kiddies game, then or now.

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

What's "AARP?"  Something in the u.s.?

American Association of Retired Persons.

Is Google also not a thing in your country?  😃

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

49 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

What's "AARP?"  Something in the u.s.?

The acronym has been decoded, but not the cultural matrix. AARP is an activism/benefits group for the gray-haired crowd in the US. Among other things, they are infamous for sending lots of "join us" mail when you hit 50. Sort of a rite of passage no one wants to achieve.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

57 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Older than anyone so far. Knocking on 50 when I was a launch player. 'Nuf sed.

I recall establishing that the early Live player base was heavy on 35's or so and tended older than that. Not a kiddies game, then or now.

Yeah, in WoW, it didn't take me long to figure out that I was too old for PvP. I mean, I was an "original gamer", going back to when PONG was the state of the art, but I never got into "twitch" games, or any of the fighting games. My first foray into PvP, I found myself getting slaughtered by somebody running circles around me, - II soon figured out that I was not up to competing against 14-year-olds who had much faster reflexes than me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am just old enough to remember the premiers of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Sesame StreetScooby Doo, Where Are You?,  and The Electric Company where Morgan Freeman was this hip dude trying to teach me stuffOld enough to remember when Captain Kangaroo wore a black coat.  Oh, and I toddled over to the console TV where the big people were watching some guy named Armstrong mess up the surface of the moon.

6 minutes ago, RikOz said:

Yeah, in WoW, it didn't take me long to figure out that I was too old for PvP. I mean, I was an "original gamer", going back to when PONG was the state of the art, but I never got into "twitch" games, or any of the fighting games. My first foray into PvP, I found myself getting slaughtered by somebody running circles around me, - II soon figured out that I was not up to competing against 14-year-olds who had much faster reflexes than me.

Similar to you, I cut my gaming teeth on the first Pong coin-op in cocktail table format (April 1974).  As to the PvP, it was WoW.  It was more about twinking out the armor of your character than actual skill.  Once I realized that, I twinked out a shaman and became a skillful rogue killer to all those 14-year-olds who'd put stock in the wrong thing.  Well, except the one who was so twinked out, he actually stopped running and let me hammer on him for a good minute without being able to kill him.  That pretty much did it for me.  I wanted skill against skill, not extremely rare and hard to get elite armor choices verses elite armor choices. 

• Like 3

I'm in my mid 20s. I played with my parents when City of Heroes launched. That feels like a long time ago. Now I school my dad (still plays) on stuff about the game.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Like 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

50 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Somewhere buried in these forums is a thread about the same subject.  Vaguely recall we had at least one player topping 80.  I know there's more than a few make my 61 years look like a youngin' 🙂.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

16 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

It's in the thread!

It's 10 pages!  

Grumble, grumble, about old eyes and wanders off ... probably to forget what I was looking for when I spot ... Shiny!!

*wanders back in rubbing eyes*

Appears @Healix won with at least 7 ten year olds worth orbits about the sun

Edited by Doomguide2005
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Two birthdays from 60. 60! What the hell? Who is this guy in the mirror? Is that...my dad? Or my grandfather?

• Thumbs Up 4

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

51 here.

Glad to see Im not the oldest player.

Ive had people tell me its odd that someone my age plays video games.

I dont bother replying, I just dont speak to them anymore because I dont need stress and toxicity in my life.

Edited by Zapped
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2