Regen Brute

Architect01

I want to make a Regeneration brute.  I used to have a Dark Melee/Regeneration scrapper back in the day that I liked, but that was when Instant Healing was a toggle.  So all my knowledge of Regeneration is very old.

I was thinking for primary either Katana or Martial Arts for the def boost.

Could any of you fine folks help me out with a build?  I'm still not too sure how to make builds with all the ATOs and all the sets and whatnot.  Any help is appreciated.  Here is a rough outline of what I'd want.  I'm not firm on Energy Mastery or anything.  Also, is Crane Kick bad?  No idea.  Thanks in advance.

Also am I missing something?  I can't add more slots to powers?  Nevermind, I was in Totals, and you can't add anything while looking at that tab.

Brute (Martial Arts - Regeneration) V0.1.mbd

Edited by Architect01

I tried my best with a claws/regen brute. Regen just sucks. It might be better with a primary that boosts defense. But I doubt it. It’s just gonna be a whole lot of work to get about the middle of the road result that other secondaries get without trying. WP is better. It also gets debuffed to hell in certain fights. But it has way better defense and resist to help. 

go ma/wp. I just made a theme toon kat/wp scrap and it was waaaaaay more survivable than the regen brute. 

Take a look at this thread for some insights into regen

• Like 1
  • Moose 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

10 hours ago, Architect01 said:

I want to make a Regeneration brute.  I used to have a Dark Melee/Regeneration scrapper back in the day that I liked, but that was when Instant Healing was a toggle.  So all my knowledge of Regeneration is very old.

I was thinking for primary either Katana or Martial Arts for the def boost.

Could any of you fine folks help me out with a build?  I'm still not too sure how to make builds with all the ATOs and all the sets and whatnot.  Any help is appreciated.  Here is a rough outline of what I'd want.  I'm not firm on Energy Mastery or anything.  Also, is Crane Kick bad?  No idea.  Thanks in advance.

Also am I missing something?  I can't add more slots to powers?  Nevermind, I was in Totals, and you can't add anything while looking at that tab.

Brute (Martial Arts - Regeneration) V0.1.mbd 14.28 kB · 3 downloads

U can tank with regen u just need more regen.... maybe medicine pool? and some resist set and maybe 2 all purose def powers?

Also reducing (if ur going for these two powers) Reconstruction and Dull Pain in necessary incase of one shot; during fury cooling down ?

Dont know what they call it but i heard its a -20% def when that happens (Makes more sence why i die now...)

Edited by jopred

My Regen Brute:

image.thumb.png.3940beb9017594d2d666c89ed433dd06.png

Exported build:

Spoiler

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

I rotate Unleash Potential, Melee Radial and Instant Healing in typical play - works out pretty nicely most of the time, with the usual DDR caveats.

• Like 1

If you never touch Dull Pain you are at 2271 HP and 68hp/sec regen along with around 30% defense to everything. 

You have Dull Pain to increase your HP and regen and act as an extra heal every 90 seconds so 30 seconds beyond perma.

At that point you have max HP of 3212.69 HP and regen of 97.37hp/sec.

You also have a heal up every 15 seconds or so.  

On top of that, hit instant healing and your regen kicks up to 236hp/sec with about 55% uptime.
If for some reason you still need a panic button then MOG will crank up your defense and resists to the point where you should be able to regen most of the damage back and give you enough time for your next heal to recharge.

Full disclosure, never played it but looks good on paper 🙂

Brute (Martial Arts - Regeneration).mbd

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 3:55 AM, Haijinx said:

To make a Regen brute ..

Select Brute 

Select Primary

Select Willpower

I did that very thing and with Dark Melee as the OP wants to do. Made him Hulk sized for fun. WP is really good.

3 hours ago, WuTang said:

I did that very thing and with Dark Melee as the OP wants to do. Made him Hulk sized for fun. WP is really good.

WP is very good and when surrounded by enemies, you get up to regen rates higher than Regen.  (Similar with Bio)

Regen still plays different and can be a fun diversion.  

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, lemming said:

WP is very good and when surrounded by enemies, you get up to regen rates higher than Regen.  (Similar with Bio)

Regen still plays different and can be a fun diversion.  

I have both Bio and WP on Brutes and Bio is my favorite between the two, but Bio hero-wise will on work on some for me and that leaves WP if that's how I'm planning to roll the toon.

I've got Regen on a Claws Scrapper and only recently figured out what all I was doing wrong. I want it to work so bad on him haha.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:57 PM, HelenCarnate said:

Full disclosure, never played it but looks good on paper

It does, 😂 but not in practice.  I have tried, been challenged to, stayed up late trying make regen worthy to tank, but it just can't - not at a high level like the rest anyway.  I even had native regen before instant healing to right under 1100 regen - then rotated instant healing, unleash potential, MOG, and Unrelenting - still not sustainable. 

With team support it's probably fine, but if that falls apart - well... It's been nice knowing you. 

If you bought willpower on temu it would be regen and literally broken in a few minutes. 

Regen is alot of fun, but it requires paying attention and understanding the build. You should be willing to utilize revive as a weapon, as you revive immune to damage and debt. This does make it difficult to be a primary meat shield though. Get your resist up and maximize your damage output, and you have a fun toon. I love my regen scrappers, I need to make a regen brute. Regen is one of those concept powers, like MM, that you have to make work to what you are looking for, but I think in building it, as I do have 2 regen scrappers who work different, you need to figure out what you want to get out of it. Don't let people talk you out of trying to make it work. It isn't for everyone, and there are days I dont want to work as much. Those days you want to immerse yourself and be a bigger part of your play, it is sweet fun. 

• Like 1

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

A lot of hate for Regen in this forum. Well the reason is that some mobs do a great deal of burst damage, and that is tough on Regen. However, reconstruct easily restores half your hp and then some, dull pain does the same and adds about half extra to your pool, making your other powers better. Instant heal makes you almost immortal and fills the bar, and moment of glory does the same with very little cool down.

The problem is cooldowns,both dull pain and instant heal has long cooldowns. Got hasten and most of your problem is solved. The take a primary like savage melee which decrease your global cooldowns on top. Or go dark and get an extra heal on the attack and a great defensive boost on top.

A lot of weird love for Willpower in this forum as well. I dont get it. I think willpower is underwhelming compared to Regen. Sure if you are surrounded by 15mobs WP will shine, however go toe to toe with a boss or a arch villain and you drop like a fly. 

WP is better for big crowds, that's for sure. Regen is way more stable 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Project said:

A lot of hate for Regen in this forum. Well the reason is that some mobs do a great deal of burst damage, and that is tough on Regen. However, reconstruct easily restores half your hp and then some, dull pain does the same and adds about half extra to your pool, making your other powers better. Instant heal makes you almost immortal and fills the bar, and moment of glory does the same with very little cool down.

The problem is cooldowns,both dull pain and instant heal has long cooldowns. Got hasten and most of your problem is solved. The take a primary like savage melee which decrease your global cooldowns on top. Or go dark and get an extra heal on the attack and a great defensive boost on top.

A lot of weird love for Willpower in this forum as well. I dont get it. I think willpower is underwhelming compared to Regen. Sure if you are surrounded by 15mobs WP will shine, however go toe to toe with a boss or a arch villain and you drop like a fly. 

WP is better for big crowds, that's for sure. Regen is way more stable 

Was discussing this the other day on discord.  Willpower has more tools in it's kit than regen does - res, Def and ddr also.   That alone makes it stand out far better than regen - but then you throw in the fact that IH cannot be made perma - any defense you build to offset that is shredded in seconds.  Once IH drops the rest of the set can't keep up. 

Willpowers RTTC is a toggle and always up but even against AVs - the other tools mitigates incoming dmg far better than regen. 

I built a test brute and compared it against every armor set and basically Regen with Instant healing running is on par with an electric armor and fire tankers - Shield, invul, SR, Dark, Bio, WP, Stone, Ice.  Once IH dropped - no amount of strategy will keep it alive if running in tough mobs - even running unrelenting after IH dropped wasn't enough.   This regen brute had around 1100 regen without IH or any other click power.  Without IH that - wasn't enough to compete with any other tanker or brute armor set by a good margin. 

On a good team Regen is fine, but if you are a brute running as a tank and you hit a hard patch it will be hard to stay alive without assistance - regen without IH - no other set runs that weak and even with IH is only middle of the road at best.

2 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Was discussing this the other day on discord.  Willpower has more tools in it's kit than regen does - res, Def and ddr also.   That alone makes it stand out far better than regen - but then you throw in the fact that IH cannot be made perma - any defense you build to offset that is shredded in seconds.  Once IH drops the rest of the set can't keep up. 

Willpowers RTTC is a toggle and always up but even against AVs - the other tools mitigates incoming dmg far better than regen. 

I built a test brute and compared it against every armor set and basically Regen with Instant healing running is on par with an electric armor and fire tankers - Shield, invul, SR, Dark, Bio, WP, Stone, Ice.  Once IH dropped - no amount of strategy will keep it alive if running in tough mobs - even running unrelenting after IH dropped wasn't enough.   This regen brute had around 1100 regen without IH or any other click power.  Without IH that - wasn't enough to compete with any other tanker or brute armor set by a good margin. 

On a good team Regen is fine, but if you are a brute running as a tank and you hit a hard patch it will be hard to stay alive without assistance - regen without IH - no other set runs that weak and even with IH is only middle of the road at best.

It's some great points, but again you do assume the brute is that tank, in a game with tanks and masterminds 🙂

a fire aura brute won't be the tank either. 

instant Heal is the big difference in Regen absolutely. 

3 hours ago, Project said:

It's some great points, but again you do assume the brute is that tank, in a game with tanks and masterminds 🙂

a fire aura brute won't be the tank either. 

instant Heal is the big difference in Regen absolutely. 

It's not that I assume the brute is the tanker - but my point is the regen brute could never be the tanker - whereas every other brute armor set could play the role of tanker 1 - mainly because of reliability.  I have scrappers and stalkers more durable than the most mitigation based regen brute I could think of - you wouldn't want my scrappers or stalkers tanking however because of aggro management.  The rest of the brute armor sets can pull off the tanker roll if you build them for that roll. 

Out of curiosity and for collaboration, could you post you Res/Def/Regen stats with and without Instant healing. Also what incarnates did you choose?  I want to make sure my assessment isn't painted incorrectly by my own ignorance. Never stop learning - that's one of my mottos.. 

25 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

but my point is the regen brute could never be the tanker

🤔 Me over here tanking 4* (and a lot of content) with my SS/Regen brute. I'm so silly!

• Like 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

1 hour ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

🤔 Me over here tanking 4* (and a lot of content) with my SS/Regen brute. I'm so silly!

What are you using to do it?  Any outside team buffs inspirations etc? 

32 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

What are you using to do it?  Any outside team buffs inspirations etc? 

Well, outside buffs of course. No one toon is able to tank 4* without them.

But in a recent stress test, it did survive that one room in Sister Airlia's (I think that's how you pronounce it) new incarnate arc that's supposed to be unlivable on it's own with no outside help.

I'm not able to go back and find the thread at this moment but I'm still using the same build I offered up to @Snarky a couple of years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Just because you don't acknowledge that you suck.   You're like a cartoon that hasn't realized they're standing in mid air so gravity has no effect.

<just in case, this is in jest,  Betty makes the best pasta and builds>

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lemming said:

Just because you don't acknowledge that you suck.   You're like a cartoon that hasn't realized they're standing in mid air so gravity has no effect.

<just in case, this is in jest,  Betty makes the best pasta and builds>

Ignorance is my greatest strength!

• Like 2

Well, outside buffs of course. No one toon is able to tank 4* without them.

That isn't an indication of what makes regen regen though. It's what a team can make regen do - this could apply to any armor set but doesn't say what the set itself is capable of or how it would perform against other sets. 

But in a recent stress test, it did survive that one room in Sister Airlia's (I think that's how you pronounce it) new incarnate arc that's supposed to be unlivable on it's own with no outside help.

What did you use to survive this?  Destiny, inspirations etc? 

5 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

What did you use to survive this?  Destiny, inspirations etc? 

No inspirations.

My gameplan with Regen is to cycle-stack Rune of Protection + IH and Melee Core. Those 2 activations have about 25-second window of vulnerability so I use MoG as a stopgap and sometimes Barrier if I'm heavily debuffed. I hardly ever click Reconstruction.

When are you usually available? I don't mind making time to meet up in game in the future and we can run whatever tests you'd like.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1