Marketer's Rollcall

Psyphon

3 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

If only I was smart enough to understand half of what he says

If I were ever to try and look for a flaw in the way Yomo presents information, it would be in some of the 10 dollar words he uses, which make my brain go over budget. 

• Moose 1

32 minutes ago, Ukase said:

If I were ever to try and look for a flaw in the way Yomo presents information, it would be in some of the 10 dollar words he uses, which make my brain go over budget. 

Also consider that English is my second language so, double the effort for me!

Still, we love our resident Yomo. He's the man.

• Microphone 1

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

Duly noted.  I refuse to give up "fungible", however; it's the right word!

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Fungible:

being something (such as money or a commodity) of such a nature that one part or quantity may be replaced by another equal part or quantity in paying a debt or settling an account.

7 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

Also consider that English is my second language so, double the effort for me!

Still, we love our resident Yomo. He's the man.

Yomo's one of my favorite people in this game. Driving me to become more and more rich, and generous. 

• Microphone 1

So yeah, spent a little while dipping my toes in the market these last few days.

Holy moly... there's so, so much supply, the demand can't keep up. The prices are still somewhat reasonnable but it's become much harder to sell. Looks like everyone and their sister learned the conversion game.  I think I'll stick to creating the sets I need and keeping them home, bypassing most of the reasons to have INF in the first place.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

19 hours ago, Monty Haull said:

Fungible:

being something (such as money or a commodity) of such a nature that one part or quantity may be replaced by another equal part or quantity in paying a debt or settling an account.

Yeah, that comes up occasionally in economic news.

"We're going to boycott Russian oil!"

"That never works, because crude oil is fungible."

"What?"

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

21 hours ago, Aeroprism said:

So yeah, spent a little while dipping my toes in the market these last few days.

Holy moly... there's so, so much supply, the demand can't keep up. The prices are still somewhat reasonnable but it's become much harder to sell. Looks like everyone and their sister learned the conversion game.  I think I'll stick to creating the sets I need and keeping them home, bypassing most of the reasons to have INF in the first place.

This. This this this this this. 

I gave up farming for *years* and now I have started dual boxing again because getting things to sell at a decent price is so goddamn hard. I started getting into some flipping and the result is I now have 1 billion more than when I started flipping, but I also have 200 purples stashed in my base to represent my profit, because Im stubborn on selling. Everything is selling slower and more and more shit is just being dropped on the market every day by people desperate to make a buck, its depressed prices in literally every sector I can think of. Every single one of my moneymakers has been hit, nothing left untouched. 

Its at the point I'm like we need to stop telling newbies how to do this shit and let them find their way to it because we have severely oversaturated the market with people trying to pull money out of it. 

I feel like we should have maybe had a meeting when the announcement hit and agreed quietly "We dont teach anyone market secrets unless they already have at least 1 level 50 slotted out farmer first"

Its a GREAT time to slot out an alt. If you dont have altitis and instead want to amuse yourself making billions its a really, really bad time. 

Edited by TheSpiritFox

I made my first (relative) chunk of change in this game back in 2019 or so...saw people paying 5m for catalysts. I cashed in all the reward merits I had - ignorant of winter packs, if they were even available, I forget - could have really re-invested that into even more. 

Once you get enough to reinvest and still outfit your upcoming characters, it seems to snowball from there. 
Like life, there are risks when you're essentially working for yourself. 

It was about that time the HC devs opted to seed salvage. Smarter players were paying attention on brainstorm and likely had a clue this was going to happen and I got sunk with more than a few slots. I didn't really lose inf, just listing fees, but the lesson was learned and driven home. The only guaranteed inf is the inf that comes from defeating npcs. The rest is an investment with typically low risk, and some higher risk. 

I knew from retail that farming was kind of fun. Unlike the world in Paragon city, built even half-well, burn would solve a lot of problems. And - the best part is - you get recipes and salvage with the only cost being your time and the opportunity costs of what you could be doing in lieu of farming. The latter carried a heavy price for me. While farming isn't terribly dull for me, it's not that much fun, either. Then I learn we're allowed to have multiple instances if the server pop isn't too high. Enter the alt accounts. 

Scalable farming- and the resultant marketing - I went from 800M to my first 2B in very short order. I made a ton more from the crafting and converting those drops than from the farming. These folks want to go at +4/8, go right ahead. I'll take 0/8 with my SO build, and slowly upgrade to the ATOs and WInter-Os. 

I think this is still where the steady stream of inf comes from. These folks that do these KMITF for an hour - I out produce that easily by crafting, converting and marketing - on a small scale, while the 3rd account gets to actually play. 

Enter the true evil geniuses like Yomo who spill the secrets (some I've stolen from his posts myself) and now it looks like everyone is just in the mix. But this isn't really what's happening, I don't think. 
I think we had a flux of returning players who didn't know how much IOs were going for. Some bid way too high (as evidenced by the PVP IOs going for nearly 3x the "new normal") and for reasons that escape me, someone or multiple players were spitting out LotG's at less than 4M. 

Some of that could have been altruism; some ignorance. Some just greedy noobs wanting/needing the sale "now". 

For me, the solution is clear. Play the game in any fashion you see fit that doesn't violate the rules. Marketing is kind of silly now, because we don't really need to. None of us do. We do it for the fun, maybe. But to fund your alts? Nonsense. Alts are self-funding as you play them - at least, for the most part. Your more established characters should have more than enough to get a starter kit going for your alt. 

As for having dozens of alts all at the same time - you do you - I've no advice for that. I don't know how people move from lowbie to lowbie and expect to retain what they learned while playing them, but I don't have the strong, agile brain I used to have. Too much good Ouzo and bad Scotch maybe. Or the lack of sleep. Rest is a weapon in real life. Be well-armed, if you can. 

Inspired by @lyrium, seeing what they did and wondering what I might do.. I just rolled a character with zip and it was tough because the way I might do it was conflicting with the niches my principal marketer was doing things. So, I had to find new niches, or compete with myself - and knowing the numbers, that didn't seem fair. Or smart. 

So, I found a new one, or at least, new to me. 
I started slowly with the melee AoE uncommon recipes - multi-strike and cleaving blow.  
I know as a crafter/converter type, most folks don't want to deal with rare salvage, as that shrinks profits. 
But, if I have the rare already from play...well, why not? At the time, rares were going for 400k. Big deal. 

So, I turned 10 of those recipes into eradication: chance for energy. The multi-strikes were annoying as they're only available at level 20 and up. Higher crafting costs. Still, instead of burning 2 converters to stay in the category, go out of category for 1. That's why they call it roulette, I think. Certainly a gamble. 

You all have read this movie script before. Nothing new to reveal, other than it can still be done. 

You win by playing the game. You can bid on a few things, 10 at a time, and you can make your way through the game buying all the loot you need to gear your characters. It's painful when you recognize you want the d-sync that has accuracy and recharge. But you don't want to spend 400M to get it. So you play the game. Grab more merits. Have fun. 

Then you win. before long, you don't even realize that you've been getting by with just the 50 accuracy IO instead of that d-sync. Keep the inf. 

Just play the game. 

For a couple of years I was making thousands of trades a day. Even had a fair amount of automation going. But then the systems started to reject more and more transactions (with the note: "Please wait a moment."). At that point it stopped being worth it. 

My gig was buying packs, opening them en mass, converting the enhancements until I got saleable ones. Rinse and repeat. Quite profitable. 5% if I just dumped the cargo. 50%+ if I used converters and priced things not too aggressively. ABIG added bonus is that I ended up with a thousands of useful things like team inspirations and amplifiers. (Here's an experiment. Stock up on team damage/accuracy enhancements. Get on a team fighting AVs. See how well the team is doing. After awhile, use enough of those inspirations to max everyone's damage. I usually go with 4 larges. Then watch what happens. Struggling teams instantly turn into romping teams. Surprising numbers of players never understand what changed. Inspirations are vastly under appreciated)

I got so tired of the increasing "wait a moment" notes that I stopped supplying lots of great things to the market for cheap prices. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Troyusrex said:

For a couple of years I was making thousands of trades a day. Even had a fair amount of automation going. But then the systems started to reject more and more transactions (with the note: "Please wait a moment."). At that point it stopped being worth it. 

My gig was buying packs, opening them en mass, converting the enhancements until I got saleable ones. Rinse and repeat. Quite profitable. 5% if I just dumped the cargo. 50%+ if I used converters and priced things not too aggressively. ABIG added bonus is that I ended up with a thousands of useful things like team inspirations and amplifiers. (Here's an experiment. Stock up on team damage/accuracy enhancements. Get on a team fighting AVs. See how well the team is doing. After awhile, use enough of those inspirations to max everyone's damage. I usually go with 4 larges. Then watch what happens. Struggling teams instantly turn into romping teams. Surprising numbers of players never understand what changed. Inspirations are vastly under appreciated)

I got so tired of the increasing "wait a moment" notes that I stopped supplying lots of great things to the market for cheap prices. 

Did this for the first two years of the game as it was just to insaly lucrative not to. I have seen more then a few people argue you can't make a profit on packs. I mean i made billions on them, still do if the market dips because outher people stop doing it or are not playing.

Clearly - to me - the demand for the super insps is exceeding supply. We were in the Abyss2 for a concurrent hami raid with Okie, while Goddess Laucianne (I think that's right) was leading a raid in Abyss 1. Our first run, we were about a team short, and the importance of using red inspirations was brought up. 

I looked on the AH, prepared to spend 1M each on the super teams. Only 1 left, and the greedy player selling it wanted more than 1M, so I suspect it's still there. 

I'm still incarnating, so I can't be spending threads for this stuff at Luna. It ended well, I got a nucleolus, which is something I can and will use. 
But, yeah, if you have threads to spare, sell these supers. 

I imagine for 10 threads, one of the super awakens, given how 3-4* advanced mode tfs will let you use those, they would probably sell pretty well. 

I don't hardly see any Really Hard Way runs, so I think demand for the Ultimate is way down. (but I'm only on one shard, what do I know?)