How to slot Umbra Beast from Dark Control?

JnEricsonx

It's a damage pet. It has a fear attack in its howl that is similar to fearsome stare at about half strength for both the fear and the tohit debuff.

So, slot for murder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Whereas I should load up Dark Servant with a Tohit debuff set?

4 or 6 Cloud Senses--take your pick. Other sets doesn't help (Holds, Healing, or Immoblize) because you have no control over Dark Servant.

I don't understand your logic here. You're saying because you can't command the servant to spam its heal you shouldn't slot for heal for when he does? Can you please explain further?

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

It's a damage pet. It has a fear attack in its howl that is similar to fearsome stare at about half strength for both the fear and the tohit debuff.

So, slot for murder.

Hilarious ;)

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

4 or 6 Cloud Senses--take your pick. Other sets doesn't help (Holds, Healing, or Immoblize) because you have no control over Dark Servant.

I don't understand your logic here. You're saying because you can't command the servant to spam its heal you shouldn't slot for heal for when he does? Can you please explain further?

The bunch of Dark Servant's abilities apply a To Hit Debuff.  So by slotting it for that you are going to see most mileage.  If you slot for heal, it will only got that bonus when it does a heal, same with damage etc.  So Cloud Senses seems to be the best set for Dark Servant in the long run.

• Like 1

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.
Or come on by and visit my Discord.

I run my theme groups there and chat with Twitch viewers in voice there.
And lastly, come see my on Twitch.  City of Heroes is my main game!

Dark Servant have 5 abilities to use, he's not going to keep spamming one ability often. However, they all have one thing in common; To Hit Debuff. That Cloud Senses is pretty good with recharge and defense bonuses. Besides, why would you slot heal, hold or immobilize if you have plenty of control from your primary powerset and you have Twilight Grasp.

• Like 1

Dark Servant have 5 abilities to use, he's not going to keep spamming one ability often. However, they all have one thing in common; To Hit Debuff. That Cloud Senses is pretty good with recharge and defense bonuses. Besides, why would you slot heal, hold or immobilize if you have plenty of control from your primary powerset and you have Twilight Grasp.

By the same logic, just slot in one accuracy and call it a day, the slots can be better used elsewhere. The dark servant is more a distraction than anything, since you can’t direct it at all.

By the same logic, just slot in one accuracy and call it a day, the slots can be better used elsewhere. The dark servant is more a distraction than anything, since you can’t direct it at all.

Dark Servant's Chill of the Night is, I think, a 30% debuff toggle. It's worth slotting up to turn it from a distraction to a "neuter the spawn" ability. Add in that the same slots will boost all of its other -ToHit debuffs, and it's well worth 4-6 slots of Cloud Senses. And in addition, Cloud Senses has a damage proc... when that proc gets to boost like 4 of its powers, it's worth putting it in.

• Like 2

So the reason I asked Meowtastic to spell out the logic was because I thought the way the advice was written was a little ... opinion-phrased-as-fact. And I wanted to see a more detailed explanation of the opinion and the underlying logic written out because that's what I think should have been written in the first place instead of a dismissive "nothing else helps."

I agree that tohitdebuff is a good thing to slot for and the best bang-for-buck overall; I think that's good advice. I disagree with the logic that just because you can't order the pet to use a particular power such as its heal it's of no value to ever slot it. I think that's too dismissive of other people's play styles. If someone wanted to slot an accurate heal set like Touch of the Nictus I would respect that was their choice. Why would they do this someone asked? Maybe they want more heals, it's as simple as that.

Maybe someone wants to try loading Fluffy up with a couple procs? Valid. Going back to the top of the thread the question was if the pet was a damage dealer or a control type beast and yes the answer is simple it's a damage dealer. I didn't say never slot for fear or tohit debuff, just that damage would the best priority.

• Like 1

I agree. ToHit Debuff is the best slotting for Dark Servant, but it can be argued for someone that slotting for Heals is also useful. I would NEVER suggest to slot an ACCURATE Heal set in it, because then the Accuracy only benefits the Heal, not the Tenebrous Tentacles or Petrifying Gaze... you get more benefit by putting a generic Accuracy IO in there since it helps more powers than just Twilight Grasp. But slotting up the Heal does make sense, because this is one case where you can actually rely on how it uses it.

You don't care which target Fluffy uses for its Twilight Grasp, because the main purpose is to Heal, and the Heal is a PBAoE aura around the Dark Servant. And it pretty much spams it. So you can rely on regular bursts of healing around it, so you can make sure that you stand near it, and regularly get healed. So slotting for Heals does make sense.

• Like 1

So the reason I asked Meowtastic to spell out the logic was because I thought the way the advice was written was a little ... opinion-phrased-as-fact. And I wanted to see a more detailed explanation of the opinion and the underlying logic written out because that's what I think should have been written in the first place instead of a dismissive "nothing else helps."

I agree that tohitdebuff is a good thing to slot for and the best bang-for-buck overall; I think that's good advice. I disagree with the logic that just because you can't order the pet to use a particular power such as its heal it's of no value to ever slot it. I think that's too dismissive of other people's play styles. If someone wanted to slot an accurate heal set like Touch of the Nictus I would respect that was their choice. Why would they do this someone asked? Maybe they want more heals, it's as simple as that.

Maybe someone wants to try loading Fluffy up with a couple procs? Valid. Going back to the top of the thread the question was if the pet was a damage dealer or a control type beast and yes the answer is simple it's a damage dealer. I didn't say never slot for fear or tohit debuff, just that damage would the best priority.

You're absolutely right. You, or anyone else, can slot however you want.

Based on my experience with my main, D4 (Dark Miasma/Dark Blast/Darkness Mastery Defender--RIP) on Virtue, I find the to hit debuffs helps A LOT.

Slot it with all the proc and I'd call that a great bang for buck.  Pets have a higher proc chance if I remember correctly. I'd go with procs as my second go to for any Pet (if not my first, cause Fire Imps slotted with just procs sounds HILARIOUS!).

I play where my toons are... and they are everywhere.  But Everlasting is my current main home.  Come on by my base GOLD-11404.  And, yes, most of my toons start Gold Side (Bold Side)!
If you want to make a fortune of Inf in City of Heroes, watch my guide on the Auction House.

Dark Servant's Chill of the Night is, I think, a 30% debuff toggle. It's worth slotting up to turn it from a distraction to a "neuter the spawn" ability. Add in that the same slots will boost all of its other -ToHit debuffs, and it's well worth 4-6 slots of Cloud Senses. And in addition, Cloud Senses has a damage proc... when that proc gets to boost like 4 of its powers, it's worth putting it in.

I dont think you really understand the problem. You have limited slots, and rather than slot up a pet that sporadically and randomly casts abilities, you can use those slots on your own abilities. Where you can target specific mobs, etc.

I dont think you really understand the problem. You have limited slots, and rather than slot up a pet that sporadically and randomly casts abilities, you can use those slots on your own abilities. Where you can target specific mobs, etc.

I disagree with this.  If you pay attention to the Damage Scales[/url=https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Damage#Damage_Scale], controllers are very low on that scale, while our pets are higher.  Dark Servant, as with any pet, is a substantial part of our damage.  I prefer to buff Dark Servant's ToHit Debuff with Cloud Senses, that is just me.  The sporadically and randomly cast is actual a random choice every so often, if it has a target it will do something. I personally wouldn't imagine playing a controller (Other then Mind) and skipping the slots in my pet(s), I'd feel like i'd neutered myself.

Lucky I don't run Darkest Night with any slots except one End Redux, I use it for pulls and turn it off. and I dropped Tar Patch a long time ago.  :-)

And I'd prefer a MM style pet I could direct if I'm going to waste slots on it.

Every slot you stock in this randomly casting pet comes out of your own Darkest Night, Tar Pit etc

Sure. You're certainly free to skip the pet and 6 slot tar pit ... well if you're playing a Dark/Dark defender or corrupter. Controllers get Heart of Darkness instead. That quibble aside I used to run a themed supergroup primarily composed of Dark/Dark defenders and you know it's quite something to see an army of 8 fluffies storming into battle with 8 defenders firing moonbeams off behind them. My experience is that the pet cycles through his powers. You're correct in saying this one or that one will only be used a % of the time but the power will be used. You've got a mini agent off to the side cycling through its abilities and if you just don't value that then that's fine. Someday you might get held and the thing that keeps you alive is the pet casting fear or its heal - or its -tohit powers.

In my current build I'm looking at not really investing as many slots in Twilight Grasp as I'd like. It's a worthy power but I just expect to be doing other things. As a defender I might put that power on auto and if an autofire stops one of my blasts no big deal. As a controller I'm more busy locking down this and that mob or confusing a debuff casting lieutenant, I'm not as open to having a heal interrupt me even if things have gone dicey. Maybe I will jam some level 50 heal IOs into fluffy so when he uses Twilight Grasp it'll make up for me not being able to throw out as many as I'd like. Maybe I'll get a Lysosome for his accuracy and to buff his -tohit.

I am really a lot less worried about spending slots for Fluffy. I'm very good at Frankenslotting and wringing out every last bit of enhancement in the minimum slots. With extra power choices freed up by inherent stamina and the changes to travel powers it's easy to buy more slot-hungry powers but it also means your build is generally less tight and you can also choose powers that don't need a lot of slots. It's just your personal preference. As long as you are having fun it's all good.

But why? It would synergize so well with your Fire/Dark build.

Oh hey man.  Mostly because things don't move much in my build, or in general do much but dance.  And because I capped Def and I put ToHit Debuff in Dark Servant (5% Rech from Cloud Senses (-: is nice), things are only hitting me 5% of the time, when they do things.

And I'd prefer a MM style pet I could direct if I'm going to waste slots on it.

Every slot you stock in this randomly casting pet comes out of your own Darkest Night, Tar Pit etc

Sure. You're certainly free to skip the pet and 6 slot tar pit ... well if you're playing a Dark/Dark defender or corrupter. Controllers get Heart of Darkness instead. That quibble aside I used to run a themed supergroup primarily composed of Dark/Dark defenders and you know it's quite something to see an army of 8 fluffies storming into battle with 8 defenders firing moonbeams off behind them. My experience is that the pet cycles through his powers. You're correct in saying this one or that one will only be used a % of the time but the power will be used. You've got a mini agent off to the side cycling through its abilities and if you just don't value that then that's fine. Someday you might get held and the thing that keeps you alive is the pet casting fear or its heal - or its -tohit powers.

In my current build I'm looking at not really investing as many slots in Twilight Grasp as I'd like. It's a worthy power but I just expect to be doing other things. As a defender I might put that power on auto and if an autofire stops one of my blasts no big deal. As a controller I'm more busy locking down this and that mob or confusing a debuff casting lieutenant, I'm not as open to having a heal interrupt me even if things have gone dicey. Maybe I will jam some level 50 heal IOs into fluffy so when he uses Twilight Grasp it'll make up for me not being able to throw out as many as I'd like. Maybe I'll get a Lysosome for his accuracy and to buff his -tohit.

I am really a lot less worried about spending slots for Fluffy. I'm very good at Frankenslotting and wringing out every last bit of enhancement in the minimum slots. With extra power choices freed up by inherent stamina and the changes to travel powers it's easy to buy more slot-hungry powers but it also means your build is generally less tight and you can also choose powers that don't need a lot of slots. It's just your personal preference. As long as you are having fun it's all good.

This right here:

As long as you are having fun it's all good.

Take and give advise, don't drop one on someone who wants help or someone who is just making something fun to play around with (looking at the wormhole builds out there, and my own knockdown build).

I used to run a themed supergroup primarily composed of Dark/Dark defenders and you know it's quite something to see an army of 8 fluffies storming into battle with 8 defenders firing moonbeams off behind them.

Sounds like fun. Just trying to point out that in high level groups fluffy is generally useless, lags behind, etc. Mob groups tend to explode as people nuke, then the melee clean up lts and bosses. Theme your heart away if that floats your boat, it’s not really the most effective pet with the power creep since launch.

• 1 year later

...uh.  Am I the only one that six slots Dark Servant with 2 Peroxisome Exposure, 1 Endoplasm, 2 +5 level 50 Heal IOs, and the Cloud Senses damage proc?

1 SO worth of Accuracy, 2 SO worth of damage, 3 SO worth of Hold, Fear, AND Immobilize, 3 SO's worth of Heal, and the 50% chance for every damage ability to proc negative damage...

• Like 1