I have an idea for a personal base. This would be ENTIRELY disconnected to the Supergroup Base system. 

The system would work as follows;

• When you get to a certain level, a contact pops up wanting to talk to you (as several others do at present).
  • When you talk to this person, (maybe there's a story arc, maybe not) : but then you can choose a base type (you know: posh apartment, crap apartment, batcave, high-tech lab, low-tech lab, whatever the DEVS want to create).
  • The base has nothing/basics in it at the start.
  • As you play the game, things appear in the base. Completing story arcs gets you a copy of the mission-arc contact (If they're not dead or in prison or are otherwise not available) - they have no function (don't give missions, don't accept hand-ins) but may have a line of flavour text if you click them. -I'm still wondering about this, perhaps there should be a limit to the number of "friends" you collect so they have more cache, a higher value to the player - Maybe the player decides who their friends are, somehow - like asking them if they'd "like to come round to their place" - FOREVER! MUAHAHA.
  • This opens the game up for another idea I've had where your collected contacts can be kidnapped as part of randomised missions, such as radio/paper missions.
  • The idea is that you can be as powerful and invulnerable as you like, but your friends and relatives are a weak spot. Lois Lane, Mary Jane: the traditional damsel/damson in distress.
  • How the base is accessed: this could be anything for me, I don't mind - supergroup portal or a power with a cooldown or a door in the world. I love the door in the world idea, however.

In contrast with Supergroup Bases, this system specifically does NOT let the player build the rooms. The developers build the rooms. They come pre-built.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I do like the idea of a visual element to show your achievements in game and this would be a nice way to do that, but I feel like it wouldn't feel unique to the player since the Devs control the layout yours will look like everyone else who has done similar things.

Saying that something less personal like a exhibit dedicated to the player character opening up, where they show displays of achievements you have done with little plaques and souvenirs (Like items of power in the base menu) would make sense on why you don't control it ❤️ 

• Like 1

….  A giant step backward.  In fact a monumental step backward.  

Base aficionados want more control, not lesd

SGs have problems recruiting already.  This only has the opportunity to make that worse. No upside.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

I have an idea for a personal base. This would be ENTIRELY disconnected to the Supergroup Base system. 

The system would work as follows;

• When you get to a certain level, a contact pops up wanting to talk to you (as several others do at present).
  • When you talk to this person, (maybe there's a story arc, maybe not) : but then you can choose a base type (you know: posh apartment, crap apartment, batcave, high-tech lab, low-tech lab, whatever the DEVS want to create).
  • The base has nothing/basics in it at the start.
  • As you play the game, things appear in the base. Completing story arcs gets you a copy of the mission-arc contact (If they're not dead or in prison or are otherwise not available) - they have no function (don't give missions, don't accept hand-ins) but may have a line of flavour text if you click them. -I'm still wondering about this, perhaps there should be a limit to the number of "friends" you collect so they have more cache, a higher value to the player - Maybe the player decides who their friends are, somehow - like asking them if they'd "like to come round to their place" - FOREVER! MUAHAHA.
  • This opens the game up for another idea I've had where your collected contacts can be kidnapped as part of randomised missions, such as radio/paper missions.
  • The idea is that you can be as powerful and invulnerable as you like, but your friends and relatives are a weak spot. Lois Lane, Mary Jane: the traditional damsel/damson in distress.
  • How the base is accessed: this could be anything for me, I don't mind - supergroup portal or a power with a cooldown or a door in the world. I love the door in the world idea, however.

In contrast with Supergroup Bases, this system specifically does NOT let the player build the rooms. The developers build the rooms. They come pre-built.

Yeah... I wasn't happy with this in CO, so I'm pretty sure I won't like it in CoX either. Especially since you can just make a SG for your character, not invite anyone in, and design your personal base however you want already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

So really it's a trophy room. I would emphasize that part to try to sell the idea. An alternate name suggestion would be "lair" to get it further differentiated from bases. I think there's room in a game for something like this and the SG bases to coexist, though the idea might need to be refined.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herotu said:

As you play the game, things appear in the base. Completing story arcs gets you a copy of the mission-arc contact

Rather than giving you a copy of the mission-arc contact, it should unlock a base item that's a display case with the souvenir from the arc in it that you can place in your base wherever you choose to show off what you've done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Rather than giving you a copy of the mission-arc contact, it should unlock a base item that's a display case with the souvenir from the arc in it that you can place in your base wherever you choose to show off what you've done.

Why not both? Then you could have the "retrieve your trophy from the sky raiders" missions and such.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I like the idea of no-effort bases that just sort of appear.  It would be good for newer players and those who don't want to make an effort to deal with the rather funky base building UI.

A trophy room is cool, but I use bases for their utility.  Base portals, crafting stations, salvage and enh storage, that sort of thing.  If those come with the trophy room that's even better.  A batcave style trophy room where the trophies are three-D would be extra cool.  I'd like to see a mix of cool eye candy and useful items, maybe both could be added just based on how many missions or other accomplishments gets added to the base.

• Thumbs Up 2

No strong opinions on the secret lair; I probably wouldn't use it if it means badguys (or good guys) are going to harrass me about it. The idea does just seem like bases with more steps / less control.

The souvenir contact/display idea seems like it'd make for an interesting end-of-arc mission, though - having the game scan your character and populate a museum map instance with relevant items and/or contacts.

Edited by megaericzero

I guess as an alternative for the people that don't want to make their own base, it's ok. It absolutely shouldn't replace the current base system. I'd be ragequit the game angry if all the time I put into my (crappy) base vanished in a puff of smoke and were replaced with that. 

Honsetly, it's a bummer that the Shining Stars arc doesn't have a little base building tutorial seeing as one of the themes is them getting their own base. I suspect it couldn't really be done in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only real main concern I have on here is just how it'd interact with the SG system, portals, etc. given the spaghetti the game is built of. 

I don't know that I'd take advantage of it, personally - then again, I have a friend who's more than willing to build bases and apartments, so if I want a "home" space, I hop in there via base code. And it already has an "invite your friends (team) along" functionality to it. 

Personally I'd think, as far as "souvenier contacts," that'd better be handled via a terminal or computer that can show more detail than just the souvenier window - otherwise, given the number of arcs, any "Home" or lair would get fairly crowded. (Plus, as far as a home, it'd be ... "WHY is Positron here, along with the leaders of the Vanguard divisions, a ghost from Croatoa, a Rikti....")  Actual souveniers (a sword, an N fragment, etc.) would be less problematic, but ... still could look clutter-y. 

All that aside, more *themes* for bases and some basic pre-set layouts there would be nice. Not the same as what's being proposed, but still. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:23 PM, gameboy1234 said:

I like the idea of no-effort bases that just sort of appear.  It would be good for newer players and those who don't want to make an effort to deal with the rather funky base building UI.

I have a suggestion that’s one part feature, one part community contest.

The feature would be adding an option to the base builder UI that will automatically set up and position the key base features and decor into a small base along, say, half-a-dozen themes (arcane, high-tech, cave, apartment, etc.) at the push of a button (with a WARNING screen that hitting confirm will undo any previous base design work).

The community contest? Design one or more small bases to meet these themes. The winners’ bases get used as the presets with the name of their choice attached to it (ex. Stormfire’s Arcane Sanctum), immortalizing their efforts as a permanent part of the game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

The community contest? Design one or more small bases to meet these themes. The winners’ bases get used as the presets with the name of their choice attached

This is actually quite nice, and would be a great way to get people vested in the idea of a new type of base.  I assumed that the devs would just whip up some pre-sets for the bases; allowing the community to contribute would unload some work from the devs and also likely produce some really interesting designs.

• Like 2

I do like the idea of plaques or trophies that can be displayed in your base after completing certain badges, tfs and arcs in the game.  Bonus if they are clickable to show the date earned (not date placed in the base).

• Like 1

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**