Is there anything that increases the radius of buffs?

23 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

Could there be something to gain from radiuses (radii?) to respond to range enhancements?

//Jack

Whatever you are asking ( sounds like can radius increase?) nooooo

the only AoE size that can be increased is cones.  By increasing the range, through enhancer +range, set bunuses +range (ex bombardment ) and/or Aloha incarnate abilities +range (ex intuition).  This will not increase the target cap, but will give a longer cone.  See my AR Blaster and Dark Corruptor builds where I hit some serious +numbers that change the way you run the things.  But the builds are very aggressive and if you rely on capped defenses you are going to be in for a rude awakening.  These are hit and run builds.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EniEni said:

Does that work for melee cones? My tanker has some cone attacks that could use some extra range >_>

Noooooo

it works for ranged cones because the AoE of the cone (which is a degree cone with a “set” footprint) that takes basic +range enhancers and can therefore be increased.  It is “enhanceable”.  

a melee aoe cone does not take +range enhacers and is therefore unenhanceable. 

a ball (fireball etc) is a specific area aoe that takes +range enhancer but that just enhances how far you can toss your balls.  But you cannot makes your balls bigger than what the devs stuck you with. 

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jack Power said:

Could there be something to gain from radiuses (radii?) to respond to range enhancements?

Yes, provided that something is lost.  There's no way in hell we'd be permitted to change a 10' radius AoE to 16' radius without paying for it in some way, at least in regard to offensive powers.  The radius of every offensive power is an important factor in its balance.  It's a lot easier to squeeze 10 targets into a 32' diameter sphere than into a 20' sphere, and that's one of the ways offensive AoEs are kept from becoming balance concerns.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, EniEni said:

Does that work for melee cones? My tanker has some cone attacks that could use some extra range >_>

Melee attacks ignore Range alterations.  That includes melee-range AoEs (like Spinning Strike), PBAoEs and cones.  As @macskull noted, Gauntlet increases the radius of tanker attacks (wider cones and AoEs), but it doesn't increase Range.  The game wouldn't be balanced at all if melee archetypes could Immob enemies and punch them to death without ever venturing into melee range to use their melee attacks.

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

the only AoE size that can be increased is cones.  By increasing the range, through enhancer +range, set bunuses +range (ex bombardment ) and/or Aloha incarnate abilities +range (ex intuition).  This will not increase the target cap, but will give a longer cone.  See my AR Blaster and Dark Corruptor builds where I hit some serious +numbers that change the way you run the things.  But the builds are very aggressive and if you rely on capped defenses you are going to be in for a rude awakening.  These are hit and run builds.  

Does this decrease proc. chance?

I've got a couple sentinels with some hefty +range.

I could imagine some amazingly powerful new incarnate slot that increases AoE radii. Maybe just on one side of the tree. Maybe the other side increases the target cap. Maybe this new slot would be paired with another new slot that increases aggro caps. Maybe one side of that one decreases aggro caps. :D

And all this time I'd been thinking Radii were the offspring of Radio and would inherit his hatred of Television

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

4 hours ago, EniEni said:

Usually not, but you have to look at the  specific cone attack.  Some few cone attacks in melee attack sets ARE actually classified as Ranged AoE and accept range enhancement and ranged AoE sets instead of melee AoE.  Frost in Ice Melee is one example.  Shockwave in Claws is another.

Frost is actually pretty silly on a Tanker.  It can be enhanced to 15ft range and because of Gauntlet, has a 135 degree arc and hits up to 16 targets.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Luminara said:

Yes, provided that something is lost.  There's no way in hell we'd be permitted to change a 10' radius AoE to 16' radius without paying for it in some way, at least in regard to offensive powers.  The radius of every offensive power is an important factor in its balance.  It's a lot easier to squeeze 10 targets into a 32' diameter sphere than into a 20' sphere, and that's one of the ways offensive AoEs are kept from becoming balance concerns.

Well, I'd take that for granted. Was kinda thinking that a wider AoE would be lowed in damage and maybe tohit, higher end cost, stiffer recharge. 

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

15 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

Well, I'd take that for granted. Was kinda thinking that a wider AoE would be lowed in damage and maybe tohit, higher end cost, stiffer recharge. 

//Jack

why would you think all that?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

8 hours ago, Luminara said:

Yes, provided that something is lost.  There's no way in hell we'd be permitted to change a 10' radius AoE to 16' radius without paying for it in some way, at least in regard to offensive powers.  The radius of every offensive power is an important factor in its balance.

I mean... gestures broadly at Tankers

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

38 minutes ago, macskull said:

I mean... gestures broadly at Tankers

On the one hand, I am sure you won't have trouble finding people who think that particular buff *was* OP.  On the other hand, though, I think @Luminara was speaking of allowing just anybody the same buff.   

As a Tanker fan, that'd piss me off more than a little.   We can give everyone radius/arc/cap buffs for AoE when my Tanker gets Brute Fury and Stalker Crits.  Who's on board? 😈

To put it another way, the cost of gaining that buff is playing a Tanker, just as the cost of gaining Fury is playing a Brute, etc. etc.

Posted (edited)

OK, so the follow up question then becomes

"Is the radius of an AOE toggle (Leadership/Maneuvers as an example) calculated as a true sphere, or is it a cylinder?"

Example: I am standing at ground level, in the middle of my group, buffing everyone out to (radius) ft away from me. I then activate hover and float straight up 10 ft to get out of monster melee range. Does my circle of effect at ground level get smaller? Or does it stay the same (footprint) until I reach (radius) ft of altitude and now it disappears at ground level entirely?

Edited by Pekiti
clarify toggle aoe

47 minutes ago, ZemX said:

On the one hand, I am sure you won't have trouble finding people who think that particular buff *was* OP.  On the other hand, though, I think @Luminara was speaking of allowing just anybody the same buff.

Both.  The radius increase added to Gauntlet has been controversial, to phrase it gently, and the HC team is very unlikely to do something like that again because of the balance problem it created.

16 minutes ago, Pekiti said:

OK, so the follow up question then becomes

"Is the radius of an AOE toggle (Leadership/Maneuvers as an example) calculated as a true sphere, or is it a cylinder?"

Example: I am standing at ground level, in the middle of my group, buffing everyone out to (radius) ft away from me. I then activate hover and float straight up 10 ft to get out of monster melee range. Does my circle of effect at ground level get smaller? Or does it stay the same (footprint) until I reach (radius) ft of altitude and now it disappears at ground level entirely?

Sphere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

why would you think all that?

Why not? To be honest I may have forgotten an 'or' in the paragraph. Thank you for the commentary anyways. 

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx