Make Thunderclap not suck

Here's my suggestion.. base cost range cast time recharge all stay the same. When the power is activated, it rolls to check on each mob in range on a proc for kd. Each mob hit rolls again to chain it to 80% one mob 20% two mobs. It can't chain outside the radius of the power (25ft). Each mob can get proc'd 2x, after that they resist any more incoming chains, so potentially you could proc a spawn into kd ragdoll 2x over a long period where there is time for them to attack or move in between the bounces. Chaotic? Check. Thematic? check. Useful? check. 

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

I dunno I thought it was cool when he teamed up with war witch and apex 🤣

anyway

iirc thunderclap is a pbaoe that disorients for mag2, ineffective VS bosses?

so you wanna remove the disorient and make it KDx2 instead?

kinda like super Strengths handclap?

ok so since KD affects bosses this power becomes a decent CC tool

since it now accepts KD enhancements it can take force feedback  

it would probably have its endurance and/or recharge bumped up to compensate

seems like a big price to pay to do what gale does with one KB-KD io

I'm not sure how it makes sense thematically though?

I can see thunderclap disorienting

or blinding foes

or maybe even fear (werewolves and ghosts are scared lol)

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

Gale, Freezing Rain, Hurricane, Tornado and Lightning Storm already do KB/KD. Another KD power is unnecessary. The way to make Thunder Clap not suck is to make the stun mag 3 instead of mag 2. They could give it the blaster treatment and give the additional 1 mag a shorter duration.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

What if Thunderclap summoned a twister that moves around the battlefield, knocking enemies all over and making a big mess

The set already has Tornado to do that and why would a thunder clap summon a twister?

5 minutes ago, Vanden said:

Okay, then, what if it summoned a whole storm instead of just one clap of lightning, that stuck around for a while shooting lighting bolts at nearby enemies for some damage and knockback

I'm confused. Really, really confused. Why do you keep saying that Thunder Clap should do what other powers in the set already do?

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

The set already has Tornado to do that and why would a thunder clap summon a twister?

Vanden's description sounds a bit like Hulk's thunderclap where it violently disturbs the atmosphere around it.  I feel that's more of a Gale effect than a twister. 

I do agree that Thunder Clap should be revisited.  I've several storm characters, and I never take this power, having found it lacking the few times I attempted to utilize it. 

6 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

I'm not sure how it makes sense thematically though?

I can see thunderclap disorienting

or blinding foes

or maybe even fear (werewolves and ghosts are scared lol)

It already has a disorienting effect.  "Blinding" thematically doesn't make sense unless it's expanded to mean ear damage as well.  Fear I can see as an after-effect once the disorient wears off. I'm wondering if a secondary effect might be immobilization or at least a chance for it.  If you've ever had your inner ear go out of whack, the resulting vertigo is not only disorienting but very immobilizing.

35 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Vanden's description sounds a bit like Hulk's thunderclap where it violently disturbs the atmosphere around it.  I feel that's more of a Gale effect than a twister. 

Except Hulk doesn't have a thunder clap attack, he has a hand clap attack, and that version is covered by Hand Clap in Super Strength.

36 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I do agree that Thunder Clap should be revisited.  I've several storm characters, and I never take this power, having found it lacking the few times I attempted to utilize it. 

I don't take it either and I would be fine if it got revisited. @Vanden's comments don't seem like attempts to revisit it though.

18 hours ago, Techwright said:

It already has a disorienting effect.  "Blinding" thematically doesn't make sense unless it's expanded to mean ear damage as well.  Fear I can see as an after-effect once the disorient wears off. I'm wondering if a secondary effect might be immobilization or at least a chance for it.  If you've ever had your inner ear go out of whack, the resulting vertigo is not only disorienting but very immobilizing.

I was just naming potential secondary effects

the reason I put blinding is because iirc the actual animation summons a bright flash of lightning that I'm assuming triggers the sound effect.

If I were a nearby foe looking directly at the power being triggered I would be blinded.

When my inner ear gets out of wack from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (yup that's a real thing us oldies get)

I'm less immobilized and more dizzy and nauseous but ymmv

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

4 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

When my inner ear gets out of wack from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (yup that's a real thing us oldies get)

I'm less immobilized and more dizzy and nauseous but ymmv

I've...never had that mouthful of a term applied to me. LOL.  I did have two bad bouts of vertigo last year, and the only thing I wanted to do for a week each was to hold perfectly still to keep the world from spinning more.  Hence my suggestion. 

I guess I've never noticed that flash with Thunder Clap.  Your suggestion makes sense in context.

NO thank you, the change would not be remotely helpful or desirable for my Earth/Storm.  The build is designed to stun its foes ... Stalagmites -> Thunderclap (not much isn't stunned at this point) -> Fissure.  Now if you want to buff it to also due kd/kb or other kind of debuff go for it.  More than likely the knock will get neutralized shortly though as Stone Cages gets dropped to keep them from wandering all over

On 4/13/2024 at 2:29 PM, Techwright said:

The only time I take Thunder Clap is when I'm playing a defender or corruptor with Dark Blast and have access to Dark Pit also.  Stun some things with Dark Pit, then run in and Thunder Clap them for good measure.

On 4/13/2024 at 2:29 PM, Techwright said:

The Thunder Clap power comes with a flash of lightning, so I can see where blinding would come into play.  I wouldn't expect it to do a full hold like Illusion's Blind and Flash powers do, but I could see it offering a brief -ToHit penalty on affected targets because of this... but if added, this should be a secondary and weaker effect to the Disorient effect.

Edited by Player2