Make Taunt/Confront Inherent

Short version: Title.

Long version: Making Taunt and Confront inherent clears up a space on melee sets that can be repurposed for a new power unique to each archetype that can be used to further define itself and push its identity further, such that we can see a meaningful difference between a Scrapper, Brute, and Tanker all using, say, Fiery Melee, that extends beyond just scalars. (Actual specifics probably merit another topic.)

It also means that you don't need to lose a power slot for basic endgame competence in those roles. I don't believe the opportunity cost/skill test of careful power selection applies to Taunt very well.

Bonus: Now Scrappers will actually use Confront. Single target Taunt in this game is beans as an investment.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!

Not sure I agree with making Taunts Inherent either...I think they just need to be more appealing.

Example:
What if Confront also gave -Res?

Or if Taunt for Brutes gave a -ToHit?

I honestly think Taunt for Tanks is fine as-is though.

Edit: Increased chance to Crit for Scrappers and bonus Fury Generation for Brutes might be better actually...embrace the AT's abilities!

Edited by Lyone_Manes
  • Confused 1

Newsflash!

Talos Island Times   

21st April 2024   

CONFRONT IS OUT OF DATE   

Back in teh day when the game was slow, it made sense to have a power that was used for picking one stray enemy off your ranged amigos - single target taunt was cool. Not anymore.

I think Confront should be replaced by a Self-Rez (you know it makes sense) or a short duration (or in another way weaker) version of tanker/brute Taunt (i.e. AoE). Single target taunt is not completely useless, it's just so incredibly situational as to make it an auto-skip noobtrap.

Nobody likes Auto-Skip Noobtraps.

Edited by Herotu
  • Thumbs Down 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

No thanks. The melee sets aren't, as a whole, lacking for something that Taunt/Confront is depriving them of nor that making those powers inherent would fix.

Tankers already get built-in Taunt with their attacks via their passive; all three get a hefty -Range built into their Taunt/Confront that forces enemies to close the gap for them without having to move. They're perfectly good as one-slot wonders.

Edited by megaericzero
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I want to point out that there's NO REASON to take confront in it's current form since PROVOKE from the pool powers is better.

Edited by Herotu
  • Confused 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

I want to point out that there's NO REASON to take confront in it's current form since PROVOKE from the pool powers is better.

That depends on your point of view.

Confront:                                 Provoke:

70 ft range                               60 ft range

1 target                                    5 targets max (15 ft radius)

3s recharge                              10s recharge

23.1s taunt                              12.32s taunt

-75% range (12s duration)        --

So it depends on the player and how they intend to use it as to whether one is superior to the other. Yes, Provoke will affect 5x as many targets, but Confront forces the target to move towards you and affects the target for longer.

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

BugsNO.gif.e7b1c15e7e499e22820f5a9ef324d8e7.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Aside from getting some new Enhancement sets for Threat (especially with some Accuracy pieces, hmmkay?) there is one change I'd like to see made to the Presence pool versions of Pacify and Provoke: Many of my builds would deeply appreciate if the pool powers were altered as follows:

Include a check against caster arch(etype) such that if the power is cast by an AT that would otherwise have access )generally) to a Placate or Taunt/Confront (Stalkers, VEATs, tankers, Scrappers, Brutes) that the Presence Pool version would basically become the "primary" version.

I'm selfish: I have several characters of those ATs that want the Presence pool, but don't want to take an inferior version of a power they have access to in a Primary or Secondary. I don't think this request is unreasonable, as the Presence pool has a pretty high lift to get to Invoke Panic and/or Unrelenting and the first three powers (Pacify, Provoke, Intimidate) are each "orthogonal" in terms of utility... that is to say: if I have a character that can get use from Pacify, it is not typical that the same character can also get use out of Provoke or Intimidate.

• Like 1

I understand where you are coming from hun, but realistically where would this sort of thing end? A lot of the AT's have powers that 95% of them take and that is okay ❤️ Making the powers inherent actually takes away from the uniqueness of the AT, a scrapper choosing taunt over more DPS so they might try tanking is a cool choice that a lot won't take, a tanker not picking up taunt and relying on their punchvoke again similar story that makes that character more unique 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CrusaderDroid said:

Bonus: Now Scrappers will actually use Confront.

Even in the scenario you have proposed, I would silently frown and judge from my side of the screen if a Scrapper used good animation time to apply these effects instead of pressing W key to move and whallop whatever they were targeting instead. Or a Snipe, also valid.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do believe stats were run a long time ago and confront was solidly among the least picked powers in the entire game (seem to remember it was something like 5% of scrappers actually took it).  I think that speaks for itself.  

Not sure about making it inherent, but yes, I'd be among those that'd like to see something done with it.

Edited by Riverdusk

13 hours ago, Rudra said:

That depends on your point of view.

Confront:                                 Provoke:

70 ft range                               60 ft range

1 target                                    5 targets max (15 ft radius)

3s recharge                              10s recharge

23.1s taunt                              12.32s taunt

-75% range (12s duration)        --

So it depends on the player and how they intend to use it as to whether one is superior to the other. Yes, Provoke will affect 5x as many targets, but Confront forces the target to move towards you and affects the target for longer.

The lack of targets makes confront worse than even Blackwand or Nemesis Staff!

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Herotu said:

The lack of targets makes confront worse than even Blackwand or Nemesis Staff!

Not if the prestige power fails to defeat them. Confront forces the enemy to march their happy-[butt] back into range of your primary powers.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:31 PM, Herotu said:

IIRC: Confront is an auto-hit in PvE, Provoke (presence pool) requires a ToHit check in PvE.

• Thanks 2