Solutions to SG robberies ?

Is there anyway to track people if you do not know their Global name ? My SG was cleaned out of all our salvage and some of out Christmas inspirations. We like to be friendly and open for new people and low levels so we don't lock things up. Is this just the cost of being open or is there something we can do going forward ?

Edit : Several valid points made. Yes, we are to blame for setting up the situation we found ourselves in. We have already replace all that had been taken. Our SG leader is unwilling to change either the rules, permissions or base layout as they want an open and friendly place for newbies to come and learn how things work and have access to the supplies they need to do that. I was not looking to punish the person who did this so much as find a way to keep tabs on them to prevent them from taking advantage of his generosity again.

I have found those tools and taken care of the problem. Thank you all again for your contributions and offers of help. 

Edited by Lorehunter
Update

There's typically a log of who deposited what and who took what. But that has limits.

If you want to distribute stuff to others I typically suggest controlled distribution by a trustee member to others based on what they need.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Thumbs Up 2

Click Show Log on any container in the base (top right corner of the container window).

image.thumb.jpeg.60edc955be0eb24c3b8e1154e24b9c18.jpeg

Scroll to the bottom to find the asshat's name.  Type /petition, select Harassment and Conduct, fill out the fields with the relevant information.  If a GM needs to know what was stolen, they should already have access to the log, but if they don't, they'll likely request temporary membership with an appropriate rank to let them check the log.  The GM will probably restore what was taken as part of the process of dealing with the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

10 hours ago, Lorehunter said:

Is there anyway to track people if you do not know their Global name ?

You can get their global name from their character name if that character still exist by that name on the server

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Get_global_name_(Slash_Command)

11 hours ago, Lorehunter said:

We like to be friendly and open for new people and low levels so we don't lock things up.

If you are going to have an open base, I would suggest making use of the rankings and set some storage to be open to everyone and anything that is "special" to store in storage that has been set to the higher ranks only.

This way you can share what you want to share with everyone, and protect what you need to protect from theft.

I have run into people on multiple occasions were the only reason they try to join supergroups appears to be to steal with they can from them.
This is unfortunate, but it is how some behave, so use the tools you have to protect what you have worked for.

You could also have multiple SG and coalition them. Have one for your main characters, and then have a seperate one for new recruits.

You can use trusted players to transfer what you want from one sg's base storage to the other.

When it comes down to it, each of the main players in the SG could have their own SG and base for their own personal storage and then have a main SG base that is open and you only put stuff in it that you are willing to lose to a possible thief.

As long as you have a character "holds" the personal SG, you can /altinvite your characters back and forth between various SGs yourself.

On one server I have 3 "more or less" personal supergroup bases and mainly play/sg out of a third base that another player made.

/altinvite to grab what  you need from one sg base, /altinvite to the other sg base to move whatever into storage there. and /altinvite back as you see fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Game Master
On 4/22/2024 at 9:14 AM, Lorehunter said:

We like to be friendly and open for new people and low levels so we don't lock things up.

Permissions are up to the SG owner and delegated leaders who have rights to change them.  The default is "Rank 5" and "Rank 6" (whatever you title them; the highest two) have permission to use base storage by default.  Handing out SG invites isn't enough.  A recruit needs promoted several times to reach those ranks, or a SG leader has to modify permissions to grant all ranks permission.  Both deliberate acts.

You do have the right to make 'open salvage' bins, but if a player takes everything, that's an internal matter with the SG.  The permissions read as "go right ahead."  We can't return items in this case.  (This was already addressed elsewhere, just posting this for anyone reading curious about the matter themselves.)

One possible approach to consider avoiding this outcome: using base passcodes and global channels for new recruits without inviting them to the SG as a first step (post the passcode in the global chat channel MOTD so inviting them to the channel is all that is needed.  Every time they login they will see the base passcode, and you can update it in one spot if it needs to change.)  Spend more time with your prospects.  If the player you vet is trustworthy enough not to raid your group, you invite to the SG.  If not, all they can use is the Base Passcode/Global Channel to meet with you and use Telepads and Vendors.  They won't be able to access Ouroboros, Mission Computer or Base Storage items from a base passcode.  SG members can in turn collect storage items from base storage to disperse to players using global chat to coordinate this.

You can still help new players, but someone has to be present that can account for their actions before new players get to receive items from the base.  That way, you have a 'seventh rank' for folks completely new to your fold.  It doesn't prevent another raid from happening, but works as a step that allows your SG to reach a larger audience than the roster permits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:14 AM, Lorehunter said:

Is there anyway to track people if you do not know their Global name ? My SG was cleaned out of all our salvage and some of out Christmas inspirations. We like to be friendly and open for new people and low levels so we don't lock things up. Is this just the cost of being open or is there something we can do going forward ?

I do not condone joining someone else's SG and cleaning out their inventory.  That being said, if you operate a SG and set the permissions in such a way that any new person who joins can take stuff  out of storage, then that's on you, and the other party(ies) should not be named or shamed.  Heck, I wouldn't even contact them as it may be construed as harassment.  Learn from this occurrence and make the appropriate changes going forward...

Edited by biostem

There is also a sneaky way to create a secure storage room. Create a Storage room in the main base. Place TP Beacons and Destination Markers in a covert location at each end to TP to and from the room, Test the TP Beacons. Move or create storage racks in the space and transfer the salvage/enhancements you wish to protect there. Remove the bases doorway or hall leading there from the Main base. Only give out the location of the Beacons to get there and Base editing permission to trusted members. Leave Salvage and Enhancements that you wish available to members in the Main Base. Beacons on their own are not visible so place something at the location to mark their location, but be subtle so it's not obvious. A painting or wall item will suffice.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

22 hours ago, biostem said:

I do not condone joining someone else's SG and cleaning out their inventory.  That being said, if you operate a SG and set the permissions in such a way that any new person who joins can take stuff  out of storage, then that's on you, and the other party(ies) should not be named or shamed.  Heck, I wouldn't even contact them as it may be construed as harassment.  Learn from this occurrence and make the appropriate changes going forward...

100%.  Also, 100% on the person who allegedly stole it.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

36 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

100% on the person who allegedly stole it.

Can it even be called "theft" if you invite someone into your home, show them where the fridge is, basically tell them they can take whatever they want, then come back to find they've emptied it?  Rude?  Sure.  An a-hole thing to do?  Absolutely.  Theft, though?  Not really...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Can it even be called "theft" if you invite someone into your home, show them where the fridge is, basically tell them they can take whatever they want, then come back to find they've emptied it?  Rude?  Sure.  An a-hole thing to do?  Absolutely.  Theft, though?  Not really...

It is like those all you can eat buffets where people come in an eat all the can...

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

They probably just assumed the stuff in Storage was extra, left over stuff no one wanted.  Informing others and making them aware is usually the best solution.