CoH End of Beta Event Screenshots: Rikti Invasion

My guildmates and I were waiting for WoW to come out and a bunch of them got into CoH beta. I kept saying that I will "absolutely not" be playing. I got asked point blank if I would try it if someone got me a code and I said "what could it hurt?" 20 years later here I am still playing LOL. I save just about everything, and these are screenshots from the Rikti Invasion that was the end of beta event for CoH. The characters in here are various members of my long term guild (SG) 1st Fist of Light. This is the day before the invasion when we were just seeing skirmishes and foreboding Rikti ships looming over entire zones taunting us all.

EndofBeta1.JPG

Invasion1.jpg

Invasion2.jpg

Invasion3.jpg

Invasion4.jpg

Invasion5.jpg

Invasion6.jpg

Invasion8.jpg

Invasion9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

The screenshots don't do this justice. Their were Rikti and heroes everywhere. Most of the 1st Fist of Light got locked out of the event. I think I was pretty much alone there as I recall. It was absolutely amazing. Their were bodies flying and it was just one giant fight everywhere you turned.

• Like 4

Marshal Valor

Thanks for the screenshots. I didn't join CoH until later on so I never saw the Rikti Mothership prior to it's crashing or how the Rikti looked back in those days. Looked like a blast.

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Thanks for the screenshots. I didn't join CoH until later on so I never saw the Rikti Mothership prior to it's crashing or how the Rikti looked back in those days. Looked like a blast.

It was a truly special thing. I've played many MMO's but that event was just so much fun. Even though I blasted from the back and played it tactically I still got sent to the hospital plenty hahaha. It was just so unreal, everywhere you looked their were Rikti, and the ships in the sky. It was just amazing. The devs went out of their way to make the game fun and special. I suppose that's why we are all still here 20 years later. I thought that people who hadn't gotten to beta test it might appreciate this, especially since the game is turning 20 and we have the devs here hanging out with us this year. I've spent more time in this game than any other MMO that I have ever played, and I've played most of the major ones. The community here is truly amazing.

Edited by Marshal Valor
  • Like 7

Marshal Valor

That's a nice reminder of how far the graphics have come.  I know we got that mirrored surface effects the same time we got Gun Fu, but these shots remind me of just how much the rest the graphics have gradually improved over the years.  Or perhaps, just how much my video cards have improved. LOL.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Yeah, I had no idea the mothership could fly like that. 

I want to see motherships fly like that!

If I recall this correctly according to the lore that the ship in the Rikti war zone was brought down by Statesmen during the very first Rikti invasion when he turned himself into a missile and launched himself at the mothership. It crashed there and it's been there ever since. This is the only time ever in the history of the game that I think I've ever seen a Rikti mothership in the air.

• Like 3

Marshal Valor

1 hour ago, Doc Hornet said:

What are the lumpy Kraken-looking things?

If you do - don't recall if it's Tina or Unai's arc - there are two missions relating to this -  these guys were taken by the Rikti and used as troops.

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

1 hour ago, Doc Hornet said:

What are the lumpy Kraken-looking things?

I can't remember their names but they show up in the sewer trial and at the end of DFB.

22 minutes ago, Doc Hornet said:

Thanks. I missed beta, so I was wondering if these had been an even earlier version of Rikti before the naked ones.

I meant to do this earlier, I kept forgetting as life was getting a bit too ahead of me. Those are the OG Rikti. It was all pretty crazy. Everything in that invasion is all still in game in various places. Minus the fact that their were flying Rikti ships. That's the only time that I ever saw those.

Marshal Valor

6 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

It turns out this was super timely - the legacy Rikti are reappearing for our anniversary! Did you know? 

Haha no I had no idea, but I am glad that my life got too busy for me to post it. When I saw the anniversary event on mmorpg.com discussed and then saw that the original devs were going to be involved and I stopped what I was doing to make sure that this got posted. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Marshal Valor

It was a blast to fight the anniversary event OG Rikti this morning. Seeing the "real" Thorns return, even more so. I've never really liked the Thorn costume revamp. The OG Thorns just seem much more scary somehow. Thwip. Thwip.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Doc Hornet said:

It was a blast to fight the anniversary event OG Rikti this morning. Seeing the "real" Thorns return, even more so. I've never really liked the Thorn costume revamp. The OG Thorns just seem much more scary somehow. Thwip. Thwip.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by all of that myself. It's awesome to see all the stuff from back in the day. I am so grateful for the Homecoming team and all their hard work that they have put into making this place happen.

• Like 2

Marshal Valor

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 4:30 PM, Marshal Valor said:

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by all of that myself. It's awesome to see all the stuff from back in the day. I am so grateful for the Homecoming team and all their hard work that they have put into making this place happen.

Cool!  Thanks for posting those amazing screenshots of a rare event.

It's before my time.  I didn't get into City until 2005.  But I've mained an AR / Devices Blaster since then.  😺

EDIT: I think the big beasties are Krakens.  The Rikti use them.

Edited by Jacke

On 5/7/2024 at 4:46 PM, Jacke said:

Cool!  Thanks for posting those amazing screenshots of a rare event.

It's before my time.  I didn't get into City until 2005.  But I've mained an AR / Devices Blaster since then.  😺

EDIT: I think the big beasties are Krakens.  The Rikti use them.

You're welcome, my guys in my guild know me for holding onto pretty much everything. I've always been sentimental. This is one of my favorite GM events that I got to see and take part of. 

• Like 1

Marshal Valor