DE mobs around Portal Corp in PI

The few near-50 spawn points in PI are often heavily camped yet all of the 41-ish mobs up on the ridges around Portal Corp never get any attention.

How about boosting or replacing the DE to near 50 to provide more spawn points in that level range on that end of the island?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Nearly all of the zones could use some sort of fix-up.  From making spawns more interesting to adjusting spawn points and level ranges like this.  It's a good idea.  Though I wonder if we shouldn't have a "Big thread of zone fix-up" ideas to put all of it in one place.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are sub-50 mission doors around that edge of Portal Corp (typically cave entrances around the outside,) so bumping them to 50 probably would *not* be a good idea, actually.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

It's frustrating to see requests for level 50+ mobs to be spawned in more areas of  their zones without regard for the not level 50+ players that also have to play through/in those areas.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Murkweave said:

The few near-50 spawn points in PI are often heavily camped yet all of the 41-ish mobs up on the ridges around Portal Corp never get any attention.

How about boosting or replacing the DE to near 50 to provide more spawn points in that level range on that end of the island?

Thanks!

PI is not a level 50 zone. It's a level 40-50 zone.

I might still agree with your suggestion, but I think that information is relevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, PI is 40 to 50 but the level progression begins near the ferry and scales up toward the Portal Corp area, except the DE on the ridges. It's not mostly 50s running around the area looking for mobs but typically high 40s looking for the last push to 50. I was doing just that myself and saw other high 40s running the same circuit I was and half the time it was just us looking at each other. It occurred to me that this happens fairly often so I came here to make a suggestion.

While there are a few doors for lower level missions, it would be no different than other zones, most notably Founder's Falls. How many times have you heard "Hot door" when going to a mission along the south wall? Cimerora has EBs standing outside commonly used caves for ITF. Lower level mission doors is a valid point but it's very easy to come in high from flying or out wide to come at the doors from the water and not have to travel over the ridges. Even so, the amount of room the doors require for access is a small fraction of the wasted area the DEs cover.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

It's frustrating to see requests for level 50+ mobs to be spawned in more areas of  their zones without regard for the not level 50+ players that also have to play through/in those areas.

I did say near-50, not 50+. Just an extension of what is already right in front of Portal Corp.

Think there was a nerf lvl lowering change made to enemy groups in PI, but maybe was just in the Portal Parking Lot...?

Liked it better before, used to be able to 'farm' lvl 50 tips missions in the parking lot.  Does not work anymore if you are a lvl 50. bummer.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

7 hours ago, Murkweave said:

I did say near-50, not 50+. Just an extension of what is already right in front of Portal Corp.

The spawns should match the mission doors in the area. However, maybe increason spawn/mob density for the parts of the map where it's 48-50 would help.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Murkweave said:

My comment was about all the requests to take the zone's max level mobs and proliferate them to more areas of the zone. It still applies to your request. And even if you only see high 40s and level 50 characters when you run around in zone in that area on whichever server you play on, I can tell you that it is not just high 40s and level 50s that have to play through that area. And no, just because players have to get into doors that have enemies near them is not justification for making higher level mobs more prolific in zone without concern for the lower level characters in the level appropriate zone just trying to play the game and get to their missions.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the possibility of increasing mob levels around Portal Corp is considered, so too should the possibility of relocating the mission doors. Win/win.

As I said, there are already zones with higher level mobs near lower level mission doors. It's already a thing so it really shouldn't be an impediment.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:51 PM, Greycat said:

There are sub-50 mission doors around that edge of Portal Corp (typically cave entrances around the outside,) so bumping them to 50 probably would *not* be a good idea, actually.

You mean the same end of the map where there are level 50 boss spawns all over the parking lots. That are directly in line of the SG portal, to the Portal Corp, or the police station which which often have level 47+ nearby.

Strangely, the parking lot is not littered with lowbies. It's like players are able to understand the risk.

Posted (edited)

I logged in and did a quick look around the zone.  First, level 50 scientists right outside the Arena, on the very edge of the red "Mera Heights" neighborhood.  They were technically in the yellow Nelson Borough neighborhood I think. 

Second, yes the DE on the high areas around Portal Court are level 41, but they are also not in the red line enclosing the highest level areas of that map.  So bumping them up to 50 would be a kinda bad without at least adjusting the marking on the map.

So... I dunno.  The OP said the "few near-50 spawn points in PI are often heavily camped."   Do we really need "spawn camping" in this game?  Seems rather old school.  There's always PI radio missions which get you exactly the level spawn you need.  Are there not enough level 50 DE for folks to kill for badges?  Seems like there might be better ways and better places for them.  Rikti War Zone, or Eden might be a good place for more 50 DE spawn.  Or we might ensuring that all enemies have one "infinite quest giver" if that's desired by the players, so folks can use door missions rather than camping.

I'm trying to determine the problem here, rather than concentrate on "this is the solution: add higher level DE."  Once we understand the problem we might be able to suggest a better range of solutions.  Is it just the the level 41 spawn "doesn't make sense," or a problem with not enough DE to kill, or level 50 mobs in general?  Something else?

EDIT: went to Eden, it's all much lower level spawn, not going to work.  RWZ has Rikti only as the highest level spawn around the spaceship, so maybe a few DE could be added but it kind of breaks the theme of the zone for there to be too much DE around the ship in that highest level zone.  Otherwise the highest level DE in RWZ are around level 44.

Other thought: we might be able to encourage folks to use Red side more if there's spawn they can't get Blue side.  Not sure how folks feel about that but it's one way to get more folks at least dipping a toe into the Rogues' Isles.

Edited by gameboy1234

2 hours ago, gameboy1234 said:

I logged in and did a quick look around the zone.  First, level 50 scientists right outside the Arena, on the very edge of the red "Mera Heights" neighborhood.  They were technically in the yellow Nelson Borough neighborhood I think. 

Second, yes the DE on the high areas around Portal Court are level 41, but they are also not in the red line enclosing the highest level areas of that map.  So bumping them up to 50 would be a kinda bad without at least adjusting the marking on the map.

So... I dunno.  The OP said the "few near-50 spawn points in PI are often heavily camped."   Do we really need "spawn camping" in this game?  Seems rather old school.  There's always PI radio missions which get you exactly the level spawn you need.  Are there not enough level 50 DE for folks to kill for badges?  Seems like there might be better ways and better places for them.  Rikti War Zone, or Eden might be a good place for more 50 DE spawn.  Or we might ensuring that all enemies have one "infinite quest giver" if that's desired by the players, so folks can use door missions rather than camping.

I don't believe the issue the OP was talking about was the lack of 50 DE. The only outdoor level 50 spawns in PI are in the Portal Corp parking lots, which is a heavily trafficked area. I believe they are asking for more level 50 spawns in general in PI. The DE are more obvious candidates. I agree.

There are only a few places in the game where level 50 or higher spawn at "street". RWZ as you mentioned, PI, Grandville, and the back side of Dark Astoria.

PI is by far the most accessible. I have often logged and just for fun street sweeped the parking lot. And I often stopped because there can be several people doing the same thing. In general I want more street accessible level 50 or higher mobs. And suggested basically the same thing as the OP for RWZ and DA.

I’d say for higher level spawns in PI; how about reworking the Rikti Monkey island for a bit more variety? An entire section of the map I only visit long enough to get the badges and then ignore because all that’s there are Rikti monkeys.

You could still have the monkeys be the majority of spawns, but maybe throw in some regular Rikti, some CoT and some DE up there for various purposes (the Rikti to manage their experiment, CoT to study the giant monster bones, the DE to cleanse the island of its corruption).

On 5/9/2024 at 7:27 AM, Chris24601 said:

I’d say for higher level spawns in PI; how about reworking the Rikti Monkey island for a bit more variety? An entire section of the map I only visit long enough to get the badges and then ignore because all that’s there are Rikti monkeys.

You could still have the monkeys be the majority of spawns, but maybe throw in some regular Rikti, some CoT and some DE up there for various purposes (the Rikti to manage their experiment, CoT to study the giant monster bones, the DE to cleanse the island of its corruption).

While I don't mind the thought of having more reason to visit up there, there *are* also (a) DE monsters (not GMs) and (b) at least one bit of an easter egg if you look around a bit more up there... don't think it's on the  map, actually. 😉

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

To clarify, yes, I was more focused on increasing the amount of 47+ spawns (near-50) around Portal Corps.

It's a valid point about door missions guaranteeing the level you need and I'm not advocating camping spawn points.

I noticed an issue where often people are looking for street encounters in that area where a mere 2 players can keep it clear. The level 41s in that area don't make sense, imho, so I wanted to suggest retooling the area in that regard.

I had thought about the islands to the north but that's a great area for the monkey badge so didn't think that would be ideal. As for the monsters, it might be worth doing something there since there are no real use for them unless you can get the Monstrous Aether drops from there. I haven't looked it up but assume you can't. Otherwise, what purpose do they serve? They can't be soloed and there's not enough reward to hunt them down, which is a shame. If you could get Monstrous Aether drops, they would be more worthwhile and people might even visit the Monster Island zone for something besides exploration badges. Perhaps "Monster" Aethers that convert 10 to 1 for "Monstrous"? Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giant Monsters in PI replaced with 51-54 mobs. Players would have a reason to street-sweep the islands.

They're mainly there to get EoEs.  Prior to shutdown it was the only place for Heroes to do so without risking spawning Hami since Monster Island was a villain only zone.

On that note, reworking those spawns would also call for reworking the spawns in Monster Island as the zone is supposed to be the north end of Peregrine as its own zone.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Aww, and here I was thinking that the monster DE are there to remind fully kitted 50s of the thrill of having a hot door, just in case they've forgotten or somehow never experienced it while levelling (there's one mission door on that island, and it can trigger for tips/radios).

I'm all for bumping those DE to 47+.  I've always found it odd that enemy levels rise as you travel from the ferry towards Portal Corp... except for DE, which are highest level in the middle of the island.

About the area being used for doors for low 40 missions - rookie heroes are trained to avoid purple mobs from the start of their career (I still occasionally get sent to the wrong side of AP, or into the deep purple part of KR, or the depths of the forest maze in Perez).  Doing more of the same isn't as much of an issue at 40+, where we have access to much more of our kits (esp. travel powers and/or stealth).  It'd be nice of them to remove 40-45 missions from the doors near Portal Corp. if they change the DE, but not strictly necessary.

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Giant Monsters in PI replaced with 51-54 mobs. Players would have a reason to street-sweep the islands.

There's also a few empty islands down south by the submarine - prime real estate for a 51+ Carnie encampment, and/or a "secret" 51+ Malta base.

2 hours ago, Akisan said:

Aww, and here I was thinking that the monster DE are there to remind fully kitted 50s of the thrill of having a hot door, just in case they've forgotten or somehow never experienced it while levelling (there's one mission door on that island, and it can trigger for tips/radios).

If I'm on a fully kitted out 50, how is a Devouring Earth Giant Monster going to keep me from clicking the door? They're a minor inconvenience at best if you're not trying to whittle down their HP.

15 hours ago, Krimson said:

If I'm on a fully kitted out 50, how is a Devouring Earth Giant Monster going to keep me from clicking the door? They're a minor inconvenience at best if you're not trying to whittle down their HP.

Be all menacing and purple-y?  And I'll admit - they don't have quite the same scare as +8s do for a lowbie, but at least the purple name's there.

(Part of that lack of thrill could be because of the defence cap.  They're a lot scarier on a build that only picks up 20% def. vs. capping out at 45+%)