I need some ideas on my next alt

What's your favourite toon ?? I was thinking of making a blaster.  I am not looking for a FOTM character.  I was thinking of making a Blaster.  I already have a Energy / Energy and Elec/Elec Blasters.  What are your thoughts.  Thanks in advance. 🙂

• Like 1

A Fire Fire Blaster is a joy to run.  Melt city.

An AR/Dev Blaster is relaxed mode.  There is a hidden buildup from targeting drone if you are out of combat two seconds or so.  

Dark/Mental/Soul gets 5 cones.  It.... is a firehose of fun effects.  Especially when proc'd for knockdown.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smnolimits43 said:

What's your favourite toon ?? I was thinking of making a blaster.  I am not looking for a FOTM character.  I was thinking of making a Blaster.  I already have a Energy / Energy and Elec/Elec Blasters.  What are your thoughts.  Thanks in advance. 🙂

You're info regarding your wants is pretty vague and we're not you; so you're pretty much going to run the spectrum of suggestions from folks here without you narrowing your wants more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

well i have a couple of names to play with, one is a vampire (i think that might catch your attention Snarky).  Her name is Blud Lust.  The second character is named Hosepipe (I was thinking Water / not sure on the secondary though ??  For attacks i prefer ST vs AoE mostly because i'll be soloing most of the time.  As for AR/Devices, i'm thinking of Ellen Ripley from Aliens franchise.

• Like 1

I have an ice blast/ice manipulation blaster in the mid-30s that's fun and works well on teams and when soloing.  Previous blasters I tried didn't hold my interest but this character does.

Mechanically, ice/ice blasters feel a lot like playing a ST-focused dominator.  You get two holds in ice blast and another hold in ice manipulation, so you can hold bosses without waiting on an AoE hold with a long recharge.  Ice patch is a PBAoE power that creates a patch that knocksdown enemies, which is a handy means of control.  It also helps keep enemies in the area of ice storm and blizzard, two rain-style AoE powers.  It's fun seeing enemies try to Baywatch-run out of the area, slip, and fall while orange numbers everywhere are going up.  Both sets deal cold damage, which is one of the least resisted damage types in the game.  The secondary debuff effects of your attacks are -SPD and -Recharge, so that keeps enemies at a range, they attack less often, and lets you slot in the Ice Mistral's Torment proc for more cold damage.  Slowing enemies down is great since you can keep your distance and most enemies have melee attacks as their strongest attacks, so that helps with survivability.

Flavor or concept-wise, characters with ice powers have a lot of options.  A tech origin can have a suit with built-in freeze rays, mutation origin is classic, science origin can be a cryonics experiment, etc.  Your character can be portrayed as affecting more than cold and ice with their powers.  For example, they start out slowing down atoms and then learn to speed them up and affect the other end of the temperature scale.  That can explain an ice/ice blaster taking fire mastery or super speed, if an explanation is important to you.  Cold and ice are also thematically close to death and darkness, so that's another option.

Definitely take what bits, both mechanics and concept, are fun and appealing to you.

19 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

What's your favourite toon ?? I was thinking of making a blaster.  I am not looking for a FOTM character.  I was thinking of making a Blaster.  I already have a Energy / Energy and Elec/Elec Blasters.  What are your thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

I've had good results with an ice/ice blaster.  If you want something that plays a bit differently, try something like a fire/earth blaster.  If you don't like to close to melee range, an archery/tactical arrow or dual pistols/devices blaster are also very good, (though the DP T9 is PBAoE).

• Thumbs Up 1

I always have a blast playing Fire/Storm Corruptor or Storm/Fire Defender...

Freezing Rain + Rain of Fire together are so satisfying.  Watch them slow down, slip, fall, and burn.

• Haha 1

In my list of blasters, right after my energy/energy main would be my Fire/Ice blaster.  As @Snarky says, a Fire/Fire blaster is a joy, but it does draw a lot of...ahem...heat.  I've got one of those too, so I know.  Ice is more of a control function, so in combination, I get a chance to face melt and slow/control those who get into a blaster's weaker melee area.  His ice patch, though small on a blaster, is still very strategic.  Placing it at a corner's edge and backing up, for example, will catch your enemies running around a corner, allowing you to annihilate them while they imitate Charlie Brown with a football.  I do have an Ice/Fire blaster as well, but, although I enjoy him, I find his potency less than the Fire/Ice one.

I should note that I enjoy my recent Psi/Mind blaster as well.  Psi is consistent, and the guy tears through opponents that would challenge my other blasters, however, he has fewer crowd powers and is more of a single-target destroyer, so that might not be for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 6:22 PM, smnolimits43 said:

I was thinking of making a Blaster. 

If you don't already have one with /Martial Combat, make one. Any primary you like. I love my Scrappers and Stalkers, but I had the most fun with the Fire/Martial blaster. Not FotM by any stretch, but plenty effective and just a riot to play.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:22 PM, smnolimits43 said:

What are your thoughts.

M   a   r   t   i   a   l      C   o   m   b   a   t

😉 

• Thumbs Up 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

13 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Alright so i made a Fire/Fire Tank, really enjoying him.  He's more of a Scranker.  Having problems taking out Council Wolves.  As for missions i'm running -1x3.  

Enjoy!   A Fire Fire Tank should be a ton of fun.  Look to some Farm builds for ideas on efficient PROCs to improve damage.  No need to copy the while build as they are set up to defend against specific damage type.  

Dual Pistol Martial Combat is one of THE FUNNESST and most aggressive combos out there. you have to train yourself to not think like a blaster and think more like a blapper. same with Archery Ninja

you have to be aggressive and get right in the bad guys faces

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

14 hours ago, smnolimits43 said:

Alright so i made a Fire/Fire Tank, really enjoying him.  He's more of a Scranker.  Having problems taking out Council Wolves.  As for missions i'm running -1x3.  

Until you get enough KB resist from sets, use a base empowerment for 90 minutes of a decent amount.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:55 AM, Worm_Kalpa said:

I have an ice blast/ice manipulation blaster in the mid-30s that's fun and works well on teams and when soloing.

True story, back on retail, maybe around issue 6, I was reading the forums and I read @olepi's guide to ice/ice blasting. I have never forgotten the way his enthusiasm carried through his writing and I made one, got to 60 and proceeded to make more ice/ice blasters on several other servers. 

I remade the first ice/ice blaster here on HC and have never regretted it. The DPA is quite good. If people tell you fire is better, tell them they don't know that, because they have no idea what's under the hood of every fire blaster and every ice blaster in the game. Some folks can play the notes of a song, but some folks can make music. (In other words, build and player skill do matter)

No doubt, fire is excellent, but ice is fantastic with excellent mitigation tools that fire just doesn't have. And I'll give you one guess which powerset would get the nod for an advanced mode Lady Gray, all other things being equal. 

I actually saw Olepi running stuff in PI last evening. Glad to see they're still around!

Oh - you get 1000 slots. Why haven't you just made 1 of every combo yet? 

• Like 1