How do I get the best mez protection?

Ironscarlet

So I keep reading  at top lvl you can balance out blasters lack of mez protection  with IO and incarnates. Can any one post a build so I can see the stacks of IO you use and Incarnates that help.

Also how strong is the mez protection?

The  side situation I am having is desciding which beam char to upgrade to 50+ my Beam/psi blaster or beam/bio Sentinal. I ve seen beam blasters get 45% range def cap so def isn't a main factor anymore the only thing that is a factor now is mez  protection and how strong can a blaster get mez protection.  I plan on this going into pvp thats why I would like to know; How strong can a blasters mez protection be?

In a way, not great, ever, but in part also slightly guaranteed no matter what.

Secondaries for Blasters can get some resistance (duration reduction, 100% halves it), but have no magnitude protection.

If you want THAT:

- Vengeance, in Leadership, offers Fear and Repel Mag 10, plus 100 magnitude vs knockback/knockup

- Combat Jumping offers high magnitude protection against immobilize... not that that matters much for you most of the time

- Far more important is the Hold protection (2) in the Leaping pool's Acrobatics though

- Sorcery's Rune of Protection is most certainly not a toggle... BUT it's a powerful 90s protection from all the mezzes and some decent damage resist to go with it. Whittle as much as you can from that 10 minute cooldown if you're using this however

For incarnate slots, it's the Clarion Destiny series. That's the one with mez protection. It's over 21 mag for the final 120s core to start with though that slowly fades out to about mag 3 in the last few seconds.

IO sets are an easy source of knockback protection. Almost everything else in them though is merely +resistance, not magnitude, but one notable is Superior Defiant Barrage, which grants you a chance of 20% res AND Mag 1 protection against basically every status. If you're just barely mezzed - and for the average blaster that's all it takes - this gets you out of it as soon as it triggers.

Which brings us to that other thing... Defiance. Your other mez protection is six-slotting Single-Shot and Subdual, and maybe making sure you've slipped that unique proc chance in one of them. Even when you're held, the three things available at level 1 are still online. When all else fails, make sure these ones count.

Would like to echo much of what Novacat said. To add, you could also build for mez resistance ie. by using the Aegis Status Resistance IO. It would not prevent you from being mezzed, but should reduce the frequency of which you are chain-mezzed. In the same vein, you can get temporary empowerment buffs that can offer mez resistances and +10 kb protection. Secondly, remember you can convert inspirations. On top of that you can "cheese" a large mez inspiration waiting in the in-game email for those moments you are screwed due to mez. And you can pay the P2W salespersons to not get undesirable inspirations such as +res so you're more likely to have the inspirations you need at hand at any given time.

Would like to echo much of what Novacat said. To add, you could also build for mez resistance ie. by using the Aegis Status Resistance IO.

Keep in mind with mez resistance it functions a lot like recharge. So 100% mez resistance will halve the duration of mezzes. It's definitely useful but it's somewhat subject to diminishing returns.

Defender Smash!

In general, the common consensus would be to build for positional defense rather than mez protection, since if you arent hit, you arent mezzed. And just carry a few break frees for the rare cases where you are hit through your softcapped positions. The investment in powers and IO slots to achieve even moderate mez protection compared to melee type ATs who have status mag protection built into powersets is kind of prohibitive, if you really want to secure windows of decent protection, use the sorcery pool for rune of protection,  but this requires a 3 power choice investment.

Personally, I just build for softcap range positional, then stay out of melee or aoes that might mez me, and on the rare occasion Im hit by something, just pop break frees and continue blasting, making dead the offending mezzer as priority.

Why build for something that you can easily just use a handful of inspirations to avoid? Build to your strengths, which is pumping out more damage and play positionally so you dont get caught in situations where getting mezzed is frequent.

• Like 1

• 2 years later
On 6/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, Ironscarlet said:

So I keep reading  at top lvl you can balance out blasters lack of mez protection  with IO and incarnates.

If you have a power that you can slot resistance sets in an Aegis: Psionics/Status Resistance helps a bit.

I always carry 1 column of break frees.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

The kicker here, is you said you want to get into pvp.  If this is the case, then pick your Sentinel if you would like to lose very match.

Otherwise, go with the blaster.

I can't advise you on how to optimize a character for pvp, as I don't pvp.  I do know that, in terms of raw power, the Sentinel is weaker than every other combat-focused AT because of weaksauce dps (although Beam is not terrible for a Sentinel and I do have a BR Sentinel that I enjoy in PvE play).