Contradiction?

image.png.9a9962304aeb5a906f8fda7321ded6ac.png

Telekinetic Thrust, Mental Manipulation Secondary for a blaster. 

Which is it? Superior Damage, or Minimal damage? 

I recognize that respecs are easy to get - and that we have access to Brain Storm for a player to figure this stuff out without too much hassle. But...would it be a hassle to edit this power description one way or the other? 

Deals minimal damage in a superior fashion?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

That is basically color text/fluff.  About the only thing it really tells you is its relative strength compared to other powers in that set at best.  It can be misleading when trying to  compare the power to another outside that set. You are better off asking directly about the power itself in these forums or in Help chat in game.  Unfortunately the text is overall a poor indicator of whether the power is a solid choice or not.

Some day they may get around to editing all the power text but it's undoubtedly a long way from a top priority.

Edited by Doomguide2005

9 hours ago, Psyonico said:

Looks like TK Thrust got buffed and they didn't change the long text.

Mental Manipulation was revamped in i27p1. TK Thrust was moved from T3 to T9 and the damage scale was increased from 0.8 to 2.92 (along with an increase in recharge).

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Yall are right as always but 

the text isn't vague or misleading its downright confusing.

The devs seem to be leaning toward removing the damage scaling descriptions on newer powers.

perhaps this typo can be added to their list

• Thumbs Up 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I've often thought this.  Yes, it is flavor/text.  But it should accurately reflect the nature of the power it describes, even if only in a general sense.  It should also not offer two, diametrically opposite descriptors, as this is baffling (and, quite frankly, frustrating).  It's what 99% of players use when deciding what powers to take, so it should be useful for that purpose (again, at least in a ballpark/general sense).

This is a relatively simple fix, involving going into the editor and tweaking the power descriptions to reflect the current meta (and should really be part of the process of powerset rebalancing, every time any power is changed, IMO).

I second the suggestion for checking City of Data.

Writing only for myself: knowing what the actual numbers are helps me decide what, if any, attributes of a power are worth investing (certain types) of enhancements in.

Posted (edited)

Yes, I use it (City of Data) myself.  But new players expect the information that they have in the base game to be useful- and not deliberately misleading.  I don't think this should be an unrealistic expectation.

At the very least, there ought to be a disclaimer in the description that these descriptions no longer reflect the reality of the game, after various power changes.  Even better, would be to delete the damage strength and speed references and simply provide a link to the CoD page.

Edited by Triumphant
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is a pinned thread in the Bugs forum exclusively devoted to correcting typos. The issue with this power was added several years ago but only the short text was corrected. I updated the thread to ask that the long text be corrected as well.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

How humiliating. I'm apparently like a dog who returns to eat his own vomit. This has got to be the third time it's been suggested I check City of Data. 

My suggestion is simply for information from the game be consistent with itself. 

The idea that a player would reach a new level, then tab out and scope out information from City of Data is just ridiculous. I mean, it is a darn useful tool. No question. But it's still ridiculous. That information should be in the game for players to make an educated decision - at least, that's what I think. 

As a player base, we cannot continue to refer people to external sites for information. The game needs to have that information for players to see. The only reason it's acceptable at this point is because the game is free. (And thankfully, so are City of Data and HC Wiki!) 

I get that it's a volunteer staff. But using these sites as a crutch is only okay as a temporary solution, in my opinion. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Xaddy said:

How humiliating. I'm apparently like a dog who returns to eat his own vomit. This has got to be the third time it's been suggested I check City of Data. 

My suggestion is simply for information from the game be consistent with itself. 

The idea that a player would reach a new level, then tab out and scope out information from City of Data is just ridiculous. I mean, it is a darn useful tool. No question. But it's still ridiculous. That information should be in the game for players to make an educated decision - at least, that's what I think. 

As a player base, we cannot continue to refer people to external sites for information. The game needs to have that information for players to see. The only reason it's acceptable at this point is because the game is free. (And thankfully, so are City of Data and HC Wiki!) 

I get that it's a volunteer staff. But using these sites as a crutch is only okay as a temporary solution, in my opinion. 

The information is in the game already…

3 hours ago, Xaddy said:

As @Eiko-chan has already told you twice in this thread, if you want more detailed/specific data on a power, from inside the game itself, check the power's Detailed Info from the power selection screen.

9 minutes ago, Rudra said:

As @Eiko-chan has already told you twice in this thread, if you want more detailed/specific data on a power, from inside the game itself, check the power's Detailed Info from the power selection screen.

Yeah.  He's still right, though.

4 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

Yeah.  He's still right, though.

(S)he/they are both right and wrong. There is no need to pop out of the game while leveling up to check City of Data because the requested information is already available to him/her/them when (s)he/they go to select their new power. (S)he/they can even check powers (s)he/they are too low level for in the set the same way to get a feel for the set. Yes, the text on the basic info window should be accurate, and should be posted on the bugs forum for whatever dev is handling bugs to see and correct, but the complaint that there is no data to clarify (in this specific case) of whether Telekinetic Thrust does minimal damage, superior damage, or any other tier of damage rating is wrong because it is already available in the game for him/her/them to peruse.

I was reading their forum name as Xdaddy, so my sincere apologies if I mis-gendered anyone.  That was not my intention.  Old dude is old, and my eyesight is not what it used to be. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

Please don't sweat the pronouns on my account. 

Perhaps I'm not very good at communicating this issue. Eiko-chan and Rudra - both trying to be helpful are telling me this information is already in the game. 
I don't debate the information in the detailed tab. It is plain as day:
image.png.4ab3ec2c67e615744580af14a2483ea2.png

But - I can only see this AFTER I choose the power. Not before. If I don't choose this power, I cannot see it. Thankfully, there are plenty of free respecs if the power doesn't suit my needs. 

I am told that if I type the power in brackets, I can get a link in chat to click on that displays it. The problem is - I still don't know if the information is accurate because of the inconsistency. It certainly looks like it's going to dish out more damage than the minimal damage the description mentions. 

In any event, I took the power and it works quite well with an Overwhelming Force damage/kb to kd. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

Please don't sweat the pronouns on my account. 

Perhaps I'm not very good at communicating this issue. Eiko-chan and Rudra - both trying to be helpful are telling me this information is already in the game. 
I don't debate the information in the detailed tab. It is plain as day:
image.png.4ab3ec2c67e615744580af14a2483ea2.png

But - I can only see this AFTER I choose the power. Not before. If I don't choose this power, I cannot see it. Thankfully, there are plenty of free respecs if the power doesn't suit my needs. 

I am told that if I type the power in brackets, I can get a link in chat to click on that displays it. The problem is - I still don't know if the information is accurate because of the inconsistency. It certainly looks like it's going to dish out more damage than the minimal damage the description mentions. 

In any event, I took the power and it works quite well with an Overwhelming Force damage/kb to kd. 

Click the green "i" on the power selection screen. It shows the detailed info for all powers in the set before you even select them to keep. (Edit: It won't show stats after any globals you may have, but it will show you the unenhanced data for the power. And you can go through every power in the set to see what does what even if you aren't high enough level to get that power yet. Just like @Eiko-chan and I have been telling you.)

Capture.JPG

Capture2 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Rudra

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Xaddy said:

I can only see this AFTER I choose the power

IIRC, when you go to level up and a power pick is available, you can select the power and click the (i) to see the power info in the left pane, without being locked into actually taking said power...

EDIT:  Just to clarify, if you want to see stats for a primary power, the info will be displayed in the central or right pane instead of the left one.

Edited by biostem