Growing Number of Bugs

Arnabas

There seems to be a growing number of bugs (or at least strange occurrences)  lately. Here's what I am seeing, in case no one else is reporting them:

1. When running backward, the character doesn't actually run, they just shake like they're having a seizure.

2. When close to enemies that are shooting at me, the blast (often energy blasts) come from above or the side, instead of from the enemy

3. Stone Spears in the Earth Assault powerset triggers the attack animation twice each time it's used.

4. Cryo Freeze Ray (Arsenal Control) typically encases the foe in ice before I fire.

There are more, but these are the ones I notice most.

25 minutes ago, Arnabas said:

2. When close to enemies that are shooting at me, the blast (often energy blasts) come from above or the side, instead of from the enemy

This has existed since the game launched. Some of us use it for RP purposes. For instance, (back on Live) I had a Plant Control/Psionic Assault Dominator that was a psychic plant. And after holding the boss(es), would run up to the boss, emote that was feeding off the target, and watch as my Mental Blast seemed to go from the target to my character. (Edit: For clarification, it was supposed to go the other way. So this effect of misdirected attacks applies to everything when in close enough, mobs and PCs.) The other players on the team got weirded out by it for some reason, saying it actually looked like my Dominator was pulling their life force right out of their bodies.

Edited by Rudra

12 minutes ago, Rudra said:

This has existed since the game launched. 

I played (often daily) from launch to sundown and again since the game returned and the first time I noticed it was about 2 weeks ago, so having you say that seems really odd to me...

49 minutes ago, Arnabas said:

There seems to be a growing number of bugs (or at least strange occurrences)  lately. Here's what I am seeing, in case no one else is reporting them:

1. When running backward, the character doesn't actually run, they just shake like they're having a seizure.

3. Stone Spears in the Earth Assault powerset triggers the attack animation twice each time it's used.

4. Cryo Freeze Ray (Arsenal Control) typically encases the foe in ice before I fire.

I do not get any of these things.  Except, I could see Cryo-Freeze Ray animating the hold before the power finishes activating - this has been something that has plagued holds over the years and has been fixed in a lot of cases - perhaps Cryo-Freeze Ray needs to be looked at too.

Otherwise, everything else you describe could come from a slowly failing graphics card.  When mine begin failing, graphical glitches like what you describe would happen, then eventually zone geometry would stretch or fail, and then eventually character geometry too.  ...something to think about and watch, just in case.

54 minutes ago, Arnabas said:

Gonna be honest, these sound mostly like poor connection issues.

• Thanks 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

18 minutes ago, Arnabas said:
31 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I played (often daily) from launch to sundown and again since the game returned and the first time I noticed it was about 2 weeks ago, so having you say that seems really odd to me...

Same, I've been playing the game forever. And I've witnessed it frequently. It doesn't happen for every ranged power in the game, but it does happen for a lot of them, and it always has.

Edited by Rudra

15 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Same, I've been playing the game forever. And I've witnessed it frequently. It doesn't happen for every ranged power in the game, but it does happen for a lot of them, and it always has.

Oh, I'm not saying I don't believe you. I just find it... challenging... to think I could go 20 years without noticing.

35 minutes ago, Rudra said:
53 minutes ago, Arnabas said:
1 hour ago, Rudra said:

I've noticed it since near sundown, especially on Arachnos Wolf Spiders and Banes. Most of their ranged attacks animate on the opposite side from where the enemy actually is if you're close to them.

Are you looking for Ultramode style, candy coated enhancements and powers?

WELL YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!!

(they're also in the City Mod installer)

6 hours ago, Trickshooter said:

Gonna be honest, these sound mostly like poor connection issues.

Yeah, that's what initially came to mind myself, but I also haven't any first-hand experience in a long time to compare to.

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

30 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Yeah, that's what initially came to mind myself, but I also haven't any first-hand experience in a long time to compare to.

Find a Rikti Headman Gunman or a Bane Spider. Stand as close to them as you can. And if you can get them to shoot you, you should see the blast come from a different direction. It may be the emanation point is trying to resolve conflicts with your hit box being where the emanation point is supposed to be. (Edit: If they miss you, then the animation should play normally. If they hit you, the blast should come from above, behind, or a side.)

Edited by Rudra

8 hours ago, Arnabas said:

4. Cryo Freeze Ray (Arsenal Control) typically encases the foe in ice before I fire

Is the target already affected by another Hold when you fire?  If a target is already held, the game tends to apply the visuals immediatly when a new Hold is used.  I see it a lot on my Plant Blaster when I stack Strangler and Soul Storm.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:26 AM, Arnabas said:

There are a number of powers with similarly mistimed effects and animations. One that I have seen consistently is using the Nemesis Staff and Blackwand (both the prestige attack version and the temporary power version) against a destroyable mission object -- you draw the weapon, the blast effect fires and strikes (or misses) your target, and then you perform the attack animation.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:05 PM, Arnabas said:

For what it is worth I have also seen this since live. Or things like hurl boulder coming out of the ground near the target instead of from where I am standing. It just became one of the quirks that were interesting since it is only a visual bug and does not impact play.

Doh, looks like I was slacking last time:

computer-coder-99-little-bugs-in-the-cod

• Haha 1
  • Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

otherjokes.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

42 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I DON'T USUALLY TEST MY CODE

BUT WHEN I DO

I DO IT IN PRODUCTION

Every Bethesda game ever

• Banjo 1