Hard MO runs on Excelsior

my work/life balance shifted.  so many more bodies to disappear....

now my limited gaming time i am mostly on a Fire Blaster i am badging with.  and getting nowhere on Excelsior Master runs.  I have made so many attempts ( i join pugs forming for them)  

today i did 3 attempts at MoMLTF, each seemed okay...then...

sigh.  i miss the old gaming groups.  they seem to have all moved on.  now we have peeps that cannot get through a standard posi 1 without making it look like the most difficult thing since multi variable calculus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lemming said:

That's a bummer.   Everlasting has the SSR, Burke, and Veracor (and a couple others) running frequent master badge runs, and they're very good at it.

I may gave to migrate there if i can get some bodies stashed and make time

The problem I've been seeing lately with Mo runs is the lack of familiarity of them by obvious new players, playing tactlessly as if they are on a +0 speed TF/SF.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

hey i’d like to join the MO ITF run, thanks for the invite

moon sheep is in atlas park

moon sheep is in skyway city

moon sheep is in creys folly 

how do i get to cimerora?

• Haha 7

I, also, would like to a Master run. But I'm on Reunion and I suspect our play times are very different.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Snarky said:

sigh.  i miss the old gaming groups.  they seem to have all moved on.

Everlasting is, besides SoV on excel, pretty consistent with the Mo runs. 

But yeah, a combination of game changes, RL circumstances, and just general boredom in light of recent more interesting/better games coming out have caused a lot of people to drop CoH either forever or at least for several months/years

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

There's a number of reasons - most already listed - for this drought of success on Master runs. The biggest is simply an absence of knowledge. 
My father, who taught all manner of business courses - Economics, Investments, Real Estate, Finance...etc. shared with me this: The only way to really learn something is to teach it. 

It stands to reason people fail at Master runs because they haven't run the content enough to have mastered it. That's not to say that even the best players can't make a mistake and get defeated. It happens. Just not very often. Experience is a great teacher. Some say the best teacher. This is why I tend to look at the badges potential teammates have before things start. True, some folks with 47 badges at vet level 50 can be better players than someone who has a 600 badge count. But generally - the 4 passive accolades are likely indicators of a player who has invested in their character and may prove to be more prepared than someone who hasn't invested in their character. 

Please understand - it's not cast in stone. Some folks with a high badge count are carried along by a strong SG. Nobody with a badge count over 1200 gets there solo. The community has helped them at some point. But, it's my opinion that high badge counts lead to higher badge counts. When people are willing to invest that time in their characters, it tends to suggest they will do what they can to get the same badge you also want. 

But, you may have to do a cheap imitation of Cadd and recruit, and explain to succeed. 

• Like 1

Been playing for years and have no idea what a MO TF is.  If it is anything like a 4 star, then it is a nope, not after the first and only 4 star I tried (not knowing it was 4S and not even knowing what a 4S was)

47 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Nobody with a badge count over 1200 gets there solo. The community has helped them at some point. But, it's my opinion that high badge counts lead to higher badge counts. When people are willing to invest that time in their characters, it tends to suggest they will do what they can to get the same badge you also want. 

My badge count on my main is 1200+ and I'm fairly terrible at the game. Having lots of badges just means I'm stubborn, not that I actually know what I'm doing. Trust me, you do not want me on your Master run.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ravenplume said:

Been playing for years and have no idea what a MO TF is.  If it is anything like a 4 star, then it is a nope, not after the first and only 4 star I tried (not knowing it was 4S and not even knowing what a 4S was)

master runs are the original challenges before incarnates.  a TF (usually 50) with no temp powers and NO deaths.  All you get extra is the badge. oh, and no incarnate powers.

Edited by Snarky

Posted (edited)

That actually sounds fun.  I may give it a shot one of these times.

Right now, debating whether or not I want to log in and do stuff or finally go do some weeding outside and get more stuff planted.

Edited by Ravenplume
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Ravenplume said:

That actually sounds fun.  I may give it a shot one of these times.

Right now, debating whether or not I want to log in and do stuff or finally go do some weeding outside and get more stuff planted.

Just make sure not to run one with Snarky.  He is apparently bad luck.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arcane said:

Is this thread about hard mode TF’s or master TF’s???

Very hard (not hard mode) Master of.  And only hard … for no reason i can tell.  Cosmic council and TF junkies used to crank these out non stop and at a sprint.  Now we crawl through and wait patiently for someone to agro everyone on the map and die.   They are long slow tedious and unsuccessful.  Hard.  

Edited by Snarky

AS THE STORY GOES:

• RECENTLY SUGGESTED TACKLING ONE OF THE MO RUNS... ON LFG
  • SOME ASKED WHAT THEY WERE...
  • SOME ASKED WHY 50'S

WHY I WAS ASKING FOR:

• LVL 50'S ONLY...
  • BUILD W/TOXIC DEF/RES FOR MOMSLIB
  • BUILD W/ENERGY RES FOR MOLR
  • LEADERSHIP POOL.. VIA THE OLD SG REQUIREMENTS
  • NO BITES AFTER ADVERTISING FOR IT

THEN WAS TOLD IN LFG THERE IS MORE TO LEADERSHIP THAN JUST HAVING THE LEADERSHIP POOL...

• SO BID THE SERVER FOLKS 'HAVE A NICE AFTERNOON.'

YMMV SNARKS... BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO ORGANIZE TO GET THINGS DONE.

• Thumbs Up 1

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

I just lucked into a MoKeyes.  Led by Cygnus.  Props!  All the badges in one run and Master as easy as it gets.  This with a league of 11.  

Skill and leadership are everything.  Cygnus has that.  Would run on anything they run anytime.  

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

19 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Skill and leadership are everything.

• COOL!!!... GLAD YOU GOT IT DONE. GRATZ.

MY EARLIER RESPONSE IN THIS THREAD MAY HAVE NOT BEEN DETAILED ENOUGH TO EVEN GET TO THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE....

• ANALOGY:  SO REMEMBER WHEN WE HAD OUR FIRST 'GOOD' JOB?...
  • THERE WERE RARE FOLKS WHO TOOK THIER TIME TO SHOW US THE ROPES OF JUST 'HOW' TO DO OUR JOB... (EXPLAINING THE 'WHY')
  • THE SAME FOLKS WHO COULD ANSWER ANY QUESTION YOU HAD....
  • MOST ALWAYS THOSE FOLKS WERE THE 'OLD TIMERS' AT WORK...
  • THOSE FOLKS HAVE MOVED ON (FOR THE MOST PART)...
  • WHEN I WAS WALKING OUT THE DORR AT WORK ONE DAY... SOMEONE REMINDED ME OF THIS.
  • HE SAID THE ABOVE...
  • AND ADDED...
  • "WE ARE THOSE OLD GUYS NOW"...

SAME FOR HERE.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

24 minutes ago, shortguy on indom said:
  • COOL!!!... GLAD YOU GOT IT DONE. GRATZ.

well i still need like 7 master badges on my current project lol.  

it was just nice to see Excelsior rise to the heights i have seen in the past.  (thx to Cygnus & co)

Until we're in a situation where the no-incarnates no-temp powers no-deaths "Master of" badges are actually needed for something, you're going to continue to run into this kind of issue because people just don't run them very often. There's no incentive for doing so aside from a badge which doesn't grant you anything, and content where a single death ruins the badge for the entire team - in a game oriented around teaming - is Bad Game Design. The "no deaths" requirement is so binary that I don't think there's anything you can do to fix it.

• Thumbs Up 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I just lucked into a MoKeyes.  Led by Cygnus.  Props!  All the badges in one run and Master as easy as it gets.  This with a league of 11.  

Skill and leadership are everything.  Cygnus has that.  Would run on anything they run anytime.  

I have also come Down with the Cygnus. 
It was such a strange thing. I like to look out for league leaders; so I gave them a free PL. (I rarely allow anyone on my farm maps. But, If I know they know what they're doing, I don't mind so much) Then the next day, they're leading me (and others) on an MoUGT. (successful) 

• Like 2

I will say, I understand the pain sometimes that come up for this. I know there is a SG that Voltor is apart of that does planned MO events at times where you can sign up and do attempts with them. I was able to get a few hard runs with Voltor, as he is a machine for badging. If not, and I am around to play a game I can assist on that. I enjoy the old school challenges of this. It has been a while since I done old school MO runs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

19 hours ago, macskull said:

Until we're in a situation where the no-incarnates no-temp powers no-deaths "Master of" badges are actually needed for something, you're going to continue to run into this kind of issue because people just don't run them very often. There's no incentive for doing so aside from a badge which doesn't grant you anything, and content where a single death ruins the badge for the entire team - in a game oriented around teaming - is Bad Game Design. The "no deaths" requirement is so binary that I don't think there's anything you can do to fix it.

It would be nice if having "Master of..." meant something beyond bragging rights, even if it was just additional rewards from subsequent successes on that same trial.

• Like 4

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)